It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Tibia Fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
    keatis
    (male)

keatis HB User
    Tibia Fracture

My mother just had a tibia fracture and possibly a sprain on her leg. Do these injuries typically require surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
    dallen4
    (male)

dallen4 HB User
    Re: Tibia Fracture

The only way the tibia fracture would need surgery is if it is a displaced fracture. Meaning that the fracture was bad enough to move the bones so far out of place they couldn't be set back in place. A simple fracture will heal on it's own as long as the bones are in the same alignment. The muscle strain will heal itself well before the bone fracture heals but will make recovery therapy a little harder. Her leg will probably be casted and the muscle will heal in that fixed position. Regular therapy after a broken leg will help loosen the muscle that was strained but you should ask the doc about blood clots in that muscle. A simple ultrasound will let you know if she's OK.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
    dsrj
    (male)

dsrj HB User
    Re: Tibia Fracture

Most don't. But my tibia fracture is taking a long time. My accident happend in 02/07 and I'm still having problems. My alignment was good, I was in a cast at first. Then it got out of aligment, the Doctor had to put it back in alignment. I'm in a brace now, his is saying that it is a delayed union fracture or a nounion fracture. I'm also using a bone growth stimulator while I'm in the brace. But does not have to be out of place for surgery. They can do bone graft,if it is not mending.

Last edited by dsrj; 06-01-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Closed Thread