It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Blacking out while drinking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
    fishdish
    (female)

fishdish HB User
    Blacking out while drinking

Hi, everyone. I've been experiencing very disconcerting blackouts from drinking and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight/similar experiences.

I'm a 23 y/o female, 135 pounds. I drink roughly a glass of wine or two once a month. Approximately every 2-3 months I go out with my friends with the intention of drinking to get drunk. The problem is, it appears to be impossible for me to get drunk. I go straight from tipsy to blacked out. It's like a switch being flipped. After two glasses of wine, I feel a little tipsy but generally fine. After three glasses, a bit more tipsy. After four....I black out for hours. I'm talking five to six hours of complete memory loss (fortunately my fiance has ALWAYS been by my side for these episodes, so I know that nothing dire has happened).

This weekend, I drank the equivalent of about a bottle of white wine at a wine festival. I drank it steadily over a period of about three hours (2:00 to 5:00) and at the same time ate a large deli sandwich and some potato chips. I don't remember anything past 5:00. My next memory is at midnight, when I was still **** drunk and just realizing that I'd been blacked out for the past 7 hours. I went to bed and woke up the next morning reeking of alcohol, not just on my breath, but I was also sweating it out through my pores -- approximately 14 hours after I'd had my last drink, I was still sweating out the wine. Is this cause for concern?

I know that blacking out is a very bad sign. I don't drink often and I don't have trouble limiting myself to just one or two drinks. I would like to be able to get drunk sometimes, but I am accepting that there's something wrong with my alcohol metabolism. From now on I'm permanently limiting my drinking to only a drink or two in a day. My main concern at this point is whether there is something physically wrong with me that manifests itself in an apparent inability to metabolize more than two or three servings of alcohol. Is there possibly something wrong with my liver? I don't feel like my pattern of blacking out is typical. I had thought I would be ok having a bottle of wine over a few hours with food.

This has happened about 5 times over the past year, each time with me blacking out for literally 6 or 7 hours. I never throw up, or get hangovers the next day. The strangest thing is that this only started happening a year ago. Prior to that, in college, I was able to drink the same amount or more and never experience memory loss. I would think nothing of having a bottle of champagne in a sitting (which these days would have me drunk for 12 hours and erase my memory for six of those).

Aside from severely limiting my drinking, which I intend to do, are there any other steps I should take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User
    Re: Blacking out while drinking

I'm guessing that you're just not used to drinking like you used to. Many (most) of my friends black out when they're drunk, I don't think it's abnormal at all (even though it can be scary).

Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

unfortunetly i don't have the time to fully explain this right now but just wanted to tell you it probably wouldn't hurt to just get your liver panel done in order to see if there is some underlying issue here.there are many kidney/liver diseases that you can actually have and not have a freakin clue that they are actually there til they start showing themselves when enough damage is done and the numbers start changing on your labs.also,following this up with an ultrasound of your liver would really give you the truer picture since damage wont show up on any labs til the damage going on gets to that magic point.then and only then do the numbbers start changing on you,trust me on this one.this very well could be a metabilization issue or just the way you respond to wine in general,but at any rate,you need to check out your liver.please keep us posted as to what you find out,**

Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
    weser
    (male)

weser HB User

I think you should have a small drink the night before a heavy session.It build's your tolerance and you should find yourself blacking out less.
    And don't worry too much about this small problem.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
    deskette
    Inactive
    (female)

deskette HB User

you know i had the same problem... except with vodka. i can drink a bottle of wine a day and feel pretty damn good and still remember everything. but when i drank vodka (mix drinks) by the morning i dont remember ANYTHING.
    i would remember when we started drinking, to bits and pieces a couple hours after that... then bam im waking up the next morning. completely terrified...

and it got so bad that one night i remember i went to sleep in my friends (he was a guyfriend) bed cause i wanted to sleep off the alcohol so i could drive home after a few hours...
    well i woke up at 9 am the next morning... with my pants down. no memory at all of what happened, i figured maybe i just got hot.. because HEY that was my best friend he wouldnt do anything. only when i had the guts to ask he shared the information and that was my last straw. i never talked to him again... and i just stopped drinking. now ill only drink with my boyfriend/ex-boyfriend and my girls.
    this is something pretty serious... i think you should have it looked at. i dont drink like i use to so it no longer effects my life. but good luck to you! i wish you the best.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Obviously, this much alcohol is harmful to your body, or it would not have this response. Would you keep doing other things that caused this reaction? Why do you want to be drunk anyway? You mention feeling tipsy, yet you continue to drink. Is tipsy not enough? I would be concerned about the fact that you continue to do this, in light of the very serious consequences. I would stop drinking if I felt like I was not making safe, and common sense decisions. This is harmful to you, why do you do it?

Closed Thread