It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Is it normal to have a breast exam done by.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
    marathonman1988
    (male)

marathonman1988 HB User
    Is it normal to have a breast exam done by.....

a gastroenterologist on a 33 year old woman, for her visit inquiring about IBS? Why would a doctor that deals with stomach issues even do a breast exam?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
    lam41565
    (female)

lam41565 HB User
    Re: Is it normal to have a breast exam done by.....

That Doesn't Sound Normal To Me. I Don't See What A Problem Below Would Have Anything To Do With The Breasts. And A Gynecologist Does Those Exams Anyway. Did She Let Him Do It Or At Least Ask Why Is Was Necessary?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

it doesn't sound normal to me...

Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
    xanthia
    (female)

xanthia HB User

While it does sound weird, it might be because they are trying to see if it has anything to do with your reproductive system (therefore interferring or causing with your GI issues). I know each doctor I see checks my glands throughout my body (but not necessarily my glands in my breasts). Maybe they were looking for overall symptoms. Also, if you haven't been to a GP lately, or your OB/GYN maybe they felt it was in your best interest to check for you?

And if anything, always question your doctor. They should take the time to explain procedures and WHY they are doing them.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
    Linda_in_NJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Hell no!! I would report the jerk!! He might want press around your belly and abdomen but certainly not the breasts. I never would go back to him!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
    marathonman1988
    (male)

marathonman1988 HB User

Thanks for all of your replies. I live in Columbus, GA. Where can I report this guy?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
    marathonman1988
    (male)

marathonman1988 HB User

She let him do it. She asked the nurse, while getting undressed, if this was protocol and she said he does it for all first time patients. I'm ticked off about it and don't see why the breasts would have ANYTHING to do with IBS.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

She should start by asking around; friends, trusted doctors, doctors in the same feild.... ask if it's ever been done to them, or if its a part of the procedure. She should call up a totally different doctor in this feild to make a fake appointment and ask what to expect, stepy by step, during her visit. If they don't mention a breast exam, then the next step is to go to a lawyer.

Any doctor I've ever been to for the first time and after, will explain what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Now-a-days, I believe that a female nurse has to be present with a male doctor to make sure nothing happens. Was the nurse in the room when the doctor did this? What was the doctor's manner? Did she feel violated afterwards, or just a little put off by it?

I could understand him having to push on her stomach and maybe higher up, feel her glands in her throat and under her arms even, but a full breast exam for stomach problems?? I don't see the connection.

When I was younger I went to many doctors with stomach problems, I've had my stomach poked many times! Never once did I even have to undress... just lift my shirt, but keeping my chest covered.

Maybe we're all just cynics, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

He could have been checking to see if glands were swollen. Meaning a sign of infection. Maybe he thought you had something contributing to the IBS or that is wasn't IBS.

I went in for swollen lymph nodes in my neck and back and he checked my breast, chest, ribs, pressed where you give CPR, lower abs, ovaries. He didn't make me take my shirt off though. He just put his hand under it.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
    brisson1
    (female)

brisson1 HB User

I had a breast exam when going to the gastro doctor and my doctor was a woman, and she checked all of my glands, under my arms and such. I had to completely undress and put on a gown.
    I guess some do and some dont.
    The real issue is whether or not you felt the way he was touching you was inappropriate or made you feel uncomfortable. If you think it was then you should definietly report it.

Closed Thread