It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• help, constant headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
    timmy22
    (male)

timmy22 HB User
    help, constant headache

hi, just wondering if anyone could help me understand whats causing my headaches! ive had a constant headache nearly everyday now for about 4 months, they are not severe, although sometimes they are! they are not usally there when i wake up, they tend to develop yhroughout the day, getting worse and worse as the day gos on.Im not depressed, although the headaches are making me that way, alll in all im a very happy person. Ive had my eyes tested, ive been to a chriropracter, ive had bloodtests, all seems to be fine there! my doctor has put me on different migraine tablets, although i dont have migraine, i have tension headaches!! and they dont work! so ive made another appointment with my doctor to see what else to try! has anyone got any ideas?? anyone going through the same thing??? doesnt seem like i will ever get rid of them at the mo!! really appreiciate some input if anyones got any!!!!!! thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: help, constant headache

just an FYI here tim,but when you are getting that many possible "tension' headaches,in some cases,its becasue the c spine has some level of inflammation going on that just keeps irritating the heck out of the nerves and then those muslces that they innervate.have you had an MRI done of your c spine at all in order to just see if this could be the possible trigger?it wouldn't hurt at this point,it would rule it out or in at least as a possible contributer to your headaches.i am dealing with this very same thing right now.my c spine is a real huge mess and it keeps creating hell for the base of my skull becasue of the constant generation of trigger points.those trigger points are just little globs or wads of tissue and muscle that form from the inflammation.you most likely have a bunch there too from what you have described as your headache presentation.

have you ever tried a good PT person in order to work out some of that tension?this worked well for me but the dang things just keep on coming back becasue the inflammation in my really messed up c spine is a constant now.anti inflammitories will usually work fairly well if this is indeed a connection to your c spine.muscle relaxers work well too.i can see your frustration with this doc who insists on Rxing you migrane meds when these are not actual migranes.they just wont help much.

I really do think getting that MRI done may help identify a possible trigger.also seeing a good neurologist would help you alot vs continuing to see what appears to be only your primary for this?they just have sooo much more overall knowledge of headaches and ways to treat that specific type of headache,you know what i mean?they look at the trigger and wont just throw migrane meds at you when you are not actually suffering migranes.these meds just are specifically geared for migrane only in most cases.the ONLY thing my midrin(my abortive migrane headache med)will actually treat is a very specific migrane along with the aura that accompanies it,and thats it,it doesn't touch the headaches that are generated by my c spine and the TPs at all.this is why you need to seek out the expertise of a good neurologist,they will match the med to the specific type of headache.and that is key in order to actually find anything really effective to treat any specific sort of headache.you just need to find that trigger of these.

i wish you lots of luck with this,i know how overwhelming head pain can be.get that MRI and a referral to a good neurologist the sooner the better,it would appear you have run out of all options with the doc you are currently seeing.you are simply being thrown various meds here in an attempt for your doc to find something that will treat them.finding the trigger will help so much more in finding the right med for the type of headaches.please keep me posted on how things are going,K? **

Old 05-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

If you are taking nsaids-they give you a headache when used regularly. It an annoying cycle but true. Nsaid(tylenol,motrin..) Try drinking a lot of water every day and getting a moderate amount of excercise. A funny little thing I read was to eat almonds (not roastedor salted-fresh and real almonds). It could also be a food allergy - msg, glutten, diary... You could try a little test. Starting tommorrow eat only certain food groups ( no diary ) for 3 days and drink a lot of water. If it works then you know. Keep going with different groups. Check out some of the other health boards. If you know you are in good health otherwise-have you considered a massage or acupuncture?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
    timmy22
    (male)

timmy22 HB User

thanks alot for your reply! what is the "c spine"? sorry that may sound a bit thick! would it cause me back pain having an inflammed c spine? cause i dont have any back pain! im going to see a herbalist doctor next week! shes going to do food tolerance tests! so that will be intresting. what is a neuroligist? sorry im so stupid when it comes to this! it sounds really good! like you say my doctor is just chucking meds at me. thankyou so much for your input!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
    Frodoh
    (male)

Frodoh HB User

Cervical Spine is your neck. Think if you injured or tweaked it recently.

Caffeine withdrawal can also cause headaches. People sometimes get them when they stop drinking caffeine laden drinks abruptly

Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
    timmy22
    (male)

timmy22 HB User

hi feelbad, hope you get this, you gave me an excellent reply to my headache post. im currently having acupunture and seeing a chiropractor weekly, and am doing pretty good, still not perfect, but headaches are getting alot better. you mentioned swollen c spine, which my chiropractor says is excatly what ive got. i forgot to mention that i get creaking noises from my neck, sometimes when im not even moving it, like when i just lie on my pillow and stuff, did you get that cause you said you had a swollen c spine? just wondering really! thanks hope you get this

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth during the day? A year and a half ago, I got a new job, which is kind of stressful, and I started clenching my jaw all day at work. I didn't even realize I was doing it, and I had headaches every day. Finally, I realized I was clenching my jaw, and on weekends when I wasn't all tense from work, I'd have no headache. I didn't do anything about it until I started getting tooth pain, and found out it's from clenching my jaw every day for a year and a half. I also realized I do it in my sleep, too. My dentist gave me somethng to wear in my mouth to keep me from clenching my jaw or grinding my teeth, and it's really helping with my headaches and my tooth pain.

Closed Thread