It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Random dizziness?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
    rinnerson
    (female)

rinnerson HB User
    Random dizziness?

I keep getting these random dizzy spells lately. The past two or three weeks. I'm having one of my worst right now.

It happens most when I'm in bed. Whether I'm going to sleep or waking up, or if I wake up in the middle of the night, like now. It happens during the day, too, but it seems to be worse if it starts in bed.

It's usually sort of mild, but sometimes it gets pretty bad. It's disorienting and makes me feel ill and I can't stand it. The obvious solution seems to be to just go back to sleep, but it's not so easy. It's a bit difficult to fall asleep when you feel like you're swaying/spinning, and the sensation is worse with my eyes closed.

It's not a daily occurrence, which is why I haven't seen a doctor.

Any ideas what this could be caused by or how I can either prevent it from happening, or ease it when it does?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
    Stitcher317
    (female)

Stitcher317 HB User
    Re: Random dizziness?

Check out the information on the "Inner Ear" board. There is a ton of superb information there.

Also check out BPPV....Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Your symtpms sound pretty consistent with this disorder.

Good luck....

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Also you may want to check your blood sugar and your blood pressure. I have low pressure and when it's really low I am dizzy, especially when standing.

Good Luck

Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
    rinnerson
    (female)

rinnerson HB User

Thank you for the help! I'll definitely look into all of that.

Something occurred to me, though. Could it possibly be related to sun exposure? I've had the same sort of sensation accompany severe burns before, but I haven't been burned lately. I know dizziness is a symptom of sun poisoning, but I assume that always goes along with a burn or skin irritation of some kind. Could sun exposure cause vertigo hours later even if I didn't get any sort of sunburn?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
    roseamb
    (female)

roseamb HB User

Hi Yep It could be BPPV pLese check out Ear Nose and Throat Board You need to see and ENT, An Ear Nose and Throat doctor pronto He or she can run the proper tests to se what is causing your dizziness It could be Meniere's too
    Meantime ciut out all caffine No coffee colas etc I f you smoke you must stop Watch salt too Good luck Rose

Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
    Oldieman
    (male)

Oldieman HB User
    Exclamation Re: Random dizziness?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rinnerson View Post
    I keep getting these random dizzy spells lately. The past two or three weeks. I'm having one of my worst right now.

It happens most when I'm in bed. Whether I'm going to sleep or waking up, or if I wake up in the middle of the night, like now. It happens during the day, too, but it seems to be worse if it starts in bed.

It's usually sort of mild, but sometimes it gets pretty bad. It's disorienting and makes me feel ill and I can't stand it. The obvious solution seems to be to just go back to sleep, but it's not so easy. It's a bit difficult to fall asleep when you feel like you're swaying/spinning, and the sensation is worse with my eyes closed.

It's not a daily occurrence, which is why I haven't seen a doctor.

Any ideas what this could be caused by or how I can either prevent it from happening, or ease it when it does?
    You are ill, and the best treatment for you will come from an MD. And the sooner, the better.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
    macrover180
    (female)

macrover180 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
    Also you may want to check your blood sugar and your blood pressure. I have low pressure and when it's really low I am dizzy, especially when standing.

Good Luck
    Alex12, what did your doctors tell you to do when they discovered the low blood pressure? I saw my PCP today and she told me that I have low blood pressure but didn't really tell me what could be causing it. Starting Friday(maybe a bit before) I felt as if I had run a marathon and I had stayed at home resting due to my whole month ordeal(going to several different doctors trying to figure what in heaven's name is going on with me and so far no one can tell me except that it's anxiety) and during that period I could sleep at night because of the lorazepam, but during the day once I started to doze off, I would wake up feeling as if I wasn't breathing and when I would wake up I would feel so heavy..I don't know at this point I am not sure what to do.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
    Matrix412
    (male)

Matrix412 HB User

If you are on any kind of medication, that might be the cause. I am on Paxil (anti-depresant/anxiety) and sometimes I will get these problems (only very mild, but I am sure it can vary for others). Especially if there is a day I forget to take this medication, the next day I can sometimes get very bad with dizzy spells.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I had this and the doc called it benign positional vertigo. He prescribed Antivert for dizziness and Phenergan for nausea and vomiting. See your doctor!

Closed Thread