It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Painful bite on calf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
    Andrew61987
    (male)

Andrew61987 HB User
    Painful bite on calf

About 4 days ago I noticed a bite on my right calf. At first it started like a masquito bite and itched about about a day, then the itching went away. At this point it started hurting. My entire calf muscle from my knee to my ankle is very tight and my skin is firm and sensitive to the touch. If I am sitting down and get up and start walking, about 10-15 seconds after I get up the entire area (red circle in picture) starts throbbing, quite painfully. This lasts about 5 minutes until the intense pain subsides, but there is always some form of pain in the region. It hurts especially when I contract that muscle, such as to step off from that leg, and has therefore given me a pronounced limp. Its noticibly swollen, aspecially around my ankle. If I hit it on something it REALLY hurts. I'm 20 years old, 6'2", 135 lbs in good health.

Black Widows and Hobo spiders are the only common spiders that I know of around here that are notably venomous, and they are all over our property. I've never seen a bite from either of these spiders however.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-30-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Re: Painful bite on calf

I would see a doctor as soon as possible. It sounds as if the venom is effecting the muscle tissue. If this is a necrotic venom (meaning it destroys tissue), you could have a serious problem on your hands. It could also be an infection that is gradually spreading because you are not treating it. See a doctor ASAP.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Andrew. I agree, you need to see a doctor ASAP.

Does the cirlce resemble a bulls-eye? A bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. If it is Lyme disease, early proper treatment is critical. Untreated or undertreated Lyme disease can be very serious.

Be sure to get photos of the reaction, it is important documentation. Place something near the area, like a coin or ruler, to give it size definition.

Let us know what the doctor says okay?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
    Andrew61987
    (male)

Andrew61987 HB User

Well, I never got around to seeing a doctor. Whatever it was, I woke up (it was either the morning after the post or two mornings after the post, so almost a week after getting bit) and the pain was gone and the swelling was gone just like that. By that night it had itched a little but I could barely see the bite area at all. Went back to normal very quickly.

I do somewhat wish I had seen a doctor, if only just to tell me what it was. Sound like a black widow bite?

Last edited by Andrew61987; 07-05-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Closed Thread