It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Bone graft due to Giant Cell Tumor on foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User
    Bone graft due to Giant Cell Tumor on foot

I have been diagnosed with a Giant Cell Tumor of the first metatarsal . My bone is basically destroyed and I will be having bone graft surgery. They will remove the bone and take bone from my hip. I have been doing so much research online but I would feel much better talking ot someone who had this procedure done or who even knows anyone who has had it. I just have a few questions re: recovery period, pain etc. If anyone canhelp I would appreciate it. THANKS!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
    jeffcam1211
    (male)

jeffcam1211 HB User
    Re: Bone graft due to Giant Cell Tumor on foot

I was diagnosed with a giant cell tumor of the first metatarsal bone myself in Oct '06. It was fairly well developed from what I understand (6 mos since first occurence of pain) by the time I had my first surgery so the bone was fairly well destroyed from what I understand.

I had my first surgery in Nov '06 which was a bone graft. The pain (fairly managable pain) after surgery was seemingly more the result of the inscision rather than the bone graft itself. I was on crutches for about two weeks then in a cam walker boot (outdoors) for about a month. After that I was pretty much back to normal. Just no running, jumping etc.

Unfortunately about 4 months later it came back and this time it was necessary to remove the middle portion of the bone and connect both ends with a small rod along with another form of a bone graft. The recovery period has been about the same as the first surgery. The whole thing has turned out to be less than I expected to this point but I have also been told by my doctor I have an high pain threshhold so that has eased things for me. Good luck.

Last edited by jeffcam1211; 07-14-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

My pain threshold is very low so I am very scared. Yes I know the recurrence rate with giant cell tumor is pretty high. Are you able to walk ok now? Were you out of work, if so for how long? Thank you so much!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
    bootleg4now
    (female)

bootleg4now HB User

Hi LtFoot! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I hope all goes well with your surgery!

I was diagnosed w/GCT in 2005. Mine was on the distal tibia and had nearly went through the entire bone.

For my first surgery, I was out for 3 weeks. Went back to work, then just had to go to Wal Mart where I fell and broke what was left of the good bone, so I was out of work for another week.

Unfortunately, my tumor has recurred twice now. I was out for 2-3 weeks the first time, and hopefully only 3 weeks this time.

As for recovery time. The first surgery took almost 1 year to completely heal. The second only took about 6 months. And I just had my 3rd surgery last week, so we shall see.

After the first week, the pain was extremely manageable. As was said in the other post, it seems like the incision site is the most painfull thing about this.

After surgery, be sure to keep your foot elevated to reduce swelling, and you should be fine.

Good luck!!!!!

Tara

Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

Thanks for the response. I am actually lying in bed wth my foot elevated as I recover. My first metatarsal was removed and replaced with bone graft from hip and a metal plate. The hip was the most painful for me. Now I am just getting crazy because I can not do anything. I am in a cast to my knee which that alone is bothersome and the itchiness from the cast is driviing me crazy.
    Were you on crutches? When were you able to walk again? And did it come back in the same area?
    My doctor says I will be non weight bearing for 12-16 weeks ugh. I am hoping the graft takes and it will be shorter.
    Thank you so much

Last edited by LtFoot10; 09-02-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
    bootleg4now
    (female)

bootleg4now HB User

You and I are doing about the same thing. I am sitting here with my foot propped up also. Yes, it is a pain not being able to do anything! Thank God for the internet!!!! If you have a hubby, take advantage of this time and teach him how to cook!

After the first surgery, I was non weight bearing. With all of my issues, I was not able to walk unassisted for almost a year. But, the doctor said it only took that long because I didn't quit smoking (yes, I admit it, I was bad).

After the second surgery, I could put partial weight on my leg, so I had to use crutches for about 8 - 12 weeks, and gradually add weight with the doctor's approval.

This time, he has told me only toe-touch weight bearing, which means about the weight of your leg. I'm a little overweight so that doesn't help me much.

I just had the staples removed today. That was fun!

Yes, sorry, but the itching from the cast will drive you nuts!

Have you figured out how to shower yet? I had never really thought about it until I got in front of the tub after my first surgery, and realized that there is almost no way to get in and out of the tub on one leg!

Keep a good attitude, and you should do just fine!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

YES THANK GOODNESS FOR THE INTERNET!

I do have a husband and I 3 year old, we have been staying with my parents for the extra help. This is a lot worse than I expected. I hate sleeping on my back. And now the cast is really statring to bother my foot. Sorry just venting a bit.

OMG showering is the absolute worst. I have the shower chair but it is impossible to get in and out of the shower with out assistance. Tomorrow is 1 month down. I just pray that this bone graft is taking. I am nto sure what they do if it does not. Can you tell me did your tumor come back in the same area?

Thank you so much. Keep strong

Old 09-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
    bootleg4now
    (female)

bootleg4now HB User

Wow, I couldn't imagine going through this with a 3 year old! Glad to hear that you have plenty of support! It makes a HUGE difference!!!

Yep, showering is a pain! Hopefully, it won't be for much longer for you. When do you get the cast off?

Your bone graft is probably doing just fine; especially since they used your own bone. I had to use cadaver bone, which kind of scares me with all of the problems there have been with donated tissue.

And, yes, my tumor came back in the same area. Supposedly, this will not spread, except in very rare cases. This last time, I had tumor tissue on the bone, and on the soft tissue next to the incision scar.

Mine seems to be close to a worst case scenario, so keep your chin up!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

I am hoping that my cast comes off my next visit which is Sept. 19. It has been on since August 10.

It is very disturbing to know that the chances of this recurring is very high! I just pray I never have to go through this again.

Were you in a walking boot? And do you have any metal plates or screws? Sorry about all the questions, it's just that I can't seem to find anyone who has ever had this.

I hope you are doing good. And yes thank God for the internet!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
    bootleg4now
    (female)

bootleg4now HB User

I am doing pretty good, thanks! I hope you are doing good as well.

Don't worry about the questions! I am sure that after my first surgery, I must have drove my ortho's nurse nuts! I think I called her once a week with questions.

I did wear a walking boot after the first surgery, but not after the second, and it is too early to tell for the third. Thankfully, even after all the surgeries, no plates, pins, or screws. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

I go back to work tomorrow. I'm not real sure how it's all gonna work out yet. Our parking garage is 4 blocks away from the office. That's a long way on crutches. We do have a shuttle, but crutches on a shuttle bus doesn't sound like much fun either. I'm thinking my hubby is going to have to do a lot of driving for the next few weeks!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

Hi how is it going?

I finally got cast off. I got cam walker today and it is hurting my ankle so bad. Not sure if it is too small or what. I am gogint o call Dr on Monday cause this pain is pretty bad. I am still non weight bearing for another 6 weeks, and the partial weight for 6 weeks after that, and then off to physical therapy.

How has your recovery been?

Closed Thread