It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• The pharmacy gave me the wrong medicine!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
    rossml24
    (male)

rossml24 HB User
    The pharmacy gave me the wrong medicine!!!

A few days back I posted a message about a zapping feeling in my head and it turns out they gave me the wrong drug. I take paxil and they gave me prozac instead. I know they are the same class of drugs but this really pisses me off that they could be so negligent. Has anyone gone about filing a complaint with a similar situation? Thanks.

Last edited by rossml24; 08-14-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
    penybobeny
    Inactive
    (female)

penybobeny HB User
    Re: The pharmacy gave me the wrong medicine!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rossml24 View Post
    A few days back I posted a message about a zapping feeling in my head and it turns out they gave me the wrong drug. I take paxil and they gave me prozac instead. I know they are the same class of drugs but this really pisses me off that they could be so negligent. Has anyone gone about filing a complaint with a similar situation? Thanks.
    I have not had this issue (luckily) but I think that you need to seek legal councel... this could have been a much bigger mistake and life threatening!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It happens far more often than one might think. The problem is that there are humans involved in the process and we humans make mistakes. I personally always double check a new medication against a picture on the web or in the PDR to be sure it looks like it is supposed to.

Since you came to no real harm from the mistake, I doubt you'd have much of a case (in terms of damages). If you wanted to pursue it strickly for punitive reasons, though, you could.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
    penybobeny
    Inactive
    (female)

penybobeny HB User

My thought was not about a suit for actual damages, but something to 'scare' them into taking more care when reaching to the shelves for bottles and reading labels more carefully.

Even a small claims court would be enough to get the point across that a "oh, gee, I am sorry" is just not enough when they are dispensing drugs to the public. What if this had been the first time a drug was prescribed and you did not know what the pills normally looked like and could not remember what was on the script or thought that what you got was the generic for something else.

This time they were two drugs in a simular class... next time it could be a baby that is supposed to get a Motrin Suspension and gets a Morphine Sulphate Suspension instead.

The point is that rossml24 was lucky this time and has no lasting effects from the mistake, but the pharmacy should have to do more than say "ooops, sorry".

Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you unfortunetly got a big dose of what has been going on all along,medication errors.this happens in pharms across the county daily and even in hospitals(i was almost overdosed with my anti siezure med while there for a c spine surgery).what is most important here is to just KNOW your meds.know what they are supposed to look like always.if they switch you to another generic,it has to be written that a new manufacturer is now being used.you just need to know for certain that what you have been given,is indeed the right and proper med,always.anything ever looks different in any way,call your pharmacy immediately to check,always.you just cannot take chances with something like this.if i had not known exactly what 'my' normal neurotin looked like and the actual size(the pills i had been given were much larger than my normal ones)and also that at that time there was not any generics even made for it yet,i would have gotten my entire days dose all in one huge shot in my morning dose.things would have gotten pretty ugly for me if i had taken those little(bigger)pills inthe cup the nurse was holding out to me.i knew something wasn't right and i questioned it,thank god.she knew she had just about ODed me and she was a bit freaked out as well.that type of OD would have caused me to go into major siezure if i had not questioned it.it is just really up to us as patients to keep track of what we take always.you just have tyo protect yourself,and your family.like the above poster stated,when humans are involved,who the heck knows just what can happen.

i just wanted to mention to you that you need to inform the highest authority in the pharm you use to report this major error.if this was a chain,go to the corporate level and make certain they know what took place and how you feel about it.there is also the FDA and medwatch to report this to as well.this is really the only way the FDA can know about this type of thing since you just cannot actually count on any drug store to report things they are supposed to.you were VERY lucky in that this was not an even more serious med error,really.just always pay attention to what you normally take and and what you suddeny get that may not look the same.in the majority of cases,its just a manufacturer switch,but it may not be either.all this takes is a simple phone call to your pharmacy and they can double check,i have done this many many times since my possible OD almost happened.i just don't take any chances anymore ya know?we have to protect ourselves and our family from these types of mistakes.we are the very last bit of quality control we have in the chain.good luck and i am glad you are okay. **

Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
    IrishPrinces426
    (female)

IrishPrinces426 HB User

I would bring it to the attention of the pharmacist right away. If it is a chain store or a store with multiple pharamcists you should go to the head pharmacist. It should say on the bottle which pharmacist was on duty when the prescription was filled. I am really sorry that they screwed up like that. I work in a pharmacy, so I know how important it is to get a patients medications correct. Its not like they gave you the wrong dosage, they gave you the wrong drug all together. Paxil and Prozac are no where near each other because most pharmacies put their drugs in alphabetical order. Each drug also has a different NDC number with helps us to identify it (that number comes from the manufacturer). That pharmacist should have checked not only that the name on the prescription matched the name on manufactuers bottle, but also that the NDC matched.

Like I said this needs to be brought to the attention of the pharmacist. Make sure you check your medications before you leave the pharmacy, even before you leave the pharmacy counter. Even if it gets other customers or even the clerks upset, do it. I can't tell you how many patients have gotten frustrated because I have helped a patient go thorugh his or her prescriptions to make sure they are right. Take care of yourself first, before you start worring about other people.

I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Last edited by IrishPrinces426; 08-15-2007 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typos

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
    rossml24
    (male)

rossml24 HB User

Thanks for the replys. And yes it was a chain store (CVS) which from my research has had many problems like this before.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
    Amink
    (female)

Amink HB User

as a formaer pharmacy tech I know from experience that mistakes are made.

we all know that peoples lives are on the line when we work in a pharmacy, however, we are humans, and we do make mistakes, especially when there is an irate customer at the register complain about her copay, the phones are ringing off the hook, half the tech and pharmacists are on the phone trying to authorizations from doctors (and fix their mistakes!) and prescription plans, you have 20 people waiting and they all want their meds right NOW!

I know that these are not excuses for a mistake being made, but these are factors in loss of concentration.

You should go back to your pharmacy and tell them of the mistake, and that you are not pleased. They don't need a "scare", they need to know that they made a mistake so they can correct the problem.

From now on you should also check your meds, even before you leave the register, if it looks different than you have had before speak up. I am surprised you didn't notice the difference before you took the meds. Paxil is a table, Prozac is a capsule and are completely different colors.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
    mady3471
    (female)

mady3471 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    you unfortunetly got a big dose of what has been going on all along,medication errors.this happens in pharms across the county daily and even in hospitals(i was almost overdosed with my anti siezure med while there for a c spine surgery).what is most important here is to just KNOW your meds.know what they are supposed to look like always.if they switch you to another generic,it has to be written that a new manufacturer is now being used.you just need to know for certain that what you have been given,is indeed the right and proper med,always.anything ever looks different in any way,call your pharmacy immediately to check,always.you just cannot take chances with something like this.if i had not known exactly what 'my' normal neurotin looked like and the actual size(the pills i had been given were much larger than my normal ones)and also that at that time there was not any generics even made for it yet,i would have gotten my entire days dose all in one huge shot in my morning dose.things would have gotten pretty ugly for me if i had taken those little(bigger)pills inthe cup the nurse was holding out to me.i knew something wasn't right and i questioned it,thank god.she knew she had just about ODed me and she was a bit freaked out as well.that type of OD would have caused me to go into major siezure if i had not questioned it.it is just really up to us as patients to keep track of what we take always.you just have tyo protect yourself,and your family.like the above poster stated,when humans are involved,who the heck knows just what can happen.

i just wanted to mention to you that you need to inform the highest authority in the pharm you use to report this major error.if this was a chain,go to the corporate level and make certain they know what took place and how you feel about it.there is also the FDA and medwatch to report this to as well.this is really the only way the FDA can know about this type of thing since you just cannot actually count on any drug store to report things they are supposed to.you were VERY lucky in that this was not an even more serious med error,really.just always pay attention to what you normally take and and what you suddeny get that may not look the same.in the majority of cases,its just a manufacturer switch,but it may not be either.all this takes is a simple phone call to your pharmacy and they can double check,i have done this many many times since my possible OD almost happened.i just don't take any chances anymore ya know?we have to protect ourselves and our family from these types of mistakes.we are the very last bit of quality control we have in the chain.good luck and i am glad you are okay. **
    Medwatch form is avialable on the FDA.gov website and is concerned only with adverse drug reactions,not like in this case that the patient receive the wrong medication.Is another situation.
    The patient can submit a complain ,the pharmacist is totally responsible for the mistake ,and the first step is going to the manager of that pharmacy and filling a complain form that they have.Medication errors are common ,but since she didn't suffer major damage;I don't think there is the probability of a sucessful lawsuit.If you want to further pursue your case you can ask for the name of the specific pharmacist at that pharmacy that was responsible and fill a complain against that person and it will be in her/his records.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello

I have had the wrongs meds given to me also. I want to tell you what my research led me to find out years ago:

The pharmacy itself is supposed to self report mistakes in giving out the wrong meds to a patient. By law. Don't count on it. You can go to the owner of the whole pharmacy chain if you wish, and still do not wait for anything to be reported except inhouse.

I called my state department of health when this had happened to me for like the third time... once from an independent pharamacy and twice from a chain pharmacy. They connected me to a person who took the complaint. I stopped using the independent pharmacy as short counts were also happening on pain killers.

I have never received an incorrect med from the chain pharmacy again. I am sure I am redflagged because all of my prescriptions now come with the name of the med red circled. I don't care. I may be red flagged as a pain customer, but no more wrong meds for quite a few years now.

Good luck
    reachout

Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
    rossml24
    (male)

rossml24 HB User

Amink,

Well yes prozac does come in capsule form but they gave me a 10mg tablet that looked similar to the paxil. So get your info straight.......

Last edited by rossml24; 08-15-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
    Amink
    (female)

Amink HB User

I wasn't being nasty, and it sounds like you are.

I personally have never even opened the the 10mg tab bottle of prozac, so I am unsure what it does look like. I know the generic of paxil is a small white tablet.

My info was straight, from what you wrote.

Closed Thread