It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• TOPAMAX Sleeping aid???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
    bluemajabe
    (female)

bluemajabe HB User
    TOPAMAX Sleeping aid???

Today it's the first time I'm using TOPAMAX, I've been diagnosed with PTSD... and some of the problems that I have it's a lot of nightmares at night. My psychiatrist prescribed me TOPAMAX supposedly because it's going to help me sleep without having any type of dreams... Everything was fine til now that i got home and i started searching about it... I've just read so far about horrible side effects and a lot of SLEEPING PROBLEMS!!!!! so if anyone could give me some heads up here i would really really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: TOPAMAX Sleeping aid???

unfortunetly all these types of meds can cause pretty much the same issues.i have had to take this particular class(anti sieizure meds)just to try and control my neuropathic and sympathetic type pain caused by spinal cord injury.these drugs are used for a host of different problems and you really don't know just how you will respond to any type of drug til you try it(every med we take has some level of risk and or side effects,its just the way they are).it could be the best thing you ever tried or it could cause some problems.you just really wont know how your individual body will respond til it gets tried.i would at least give it a shot to see how it goes.the effects will sometimes take a couple weeks to fully work tho so you do have to be a bit patient with these kinds of meds.

if sleeping is a major problem along with nightmares,what else have you actually tried?my son takes seroquel.there are other sleep aid type meds out there too.i wish you luck and hope this med helps you,please keep me posted, **

Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
    TopamaxKillsMe
    (female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Topamax is a widely prescribed drugs. Why doctors love to prescribe it like wildfire is a mystery. Good for you for actually taking the time to research the drug BEFORE it's too late. I was pretty stupid and trusted my doctor (neurologist). She put me on it for eilepsy. I said keppra/she say topamax. I say depakote/she say topamax. She even said 'oh you'll lose weigh on this and you need to lose weight" and i, feeling low on myself, let her manipulate via the self image. I also let her manipulate via the pocket book. She said she'd give me free samples. No copay on to****x. Keppra's expensive. Oh, what a stupid mistake. I went on topamax and it was the worst two years of my life.

A) it made me stupid, beyond stupid. I lost my job in a matter of months. You see, I worked managing a database for a hollywood studio and couldn't really afford to be stupid, especially when my boss was leaving and we were going through a reorg.

B) memory deteriorated.

C) got really depressed. If you had a degree from NYU, worked your butt off trying to have a career in entertainment, wouldn't you be? But actually it was beyond that. I felt it in the core of me...I wasn't me... I was someone else and it was creepy. I was isolating msyelf...became a hermit and I...

D) DID NOT SLEEP! I had chronic insomnia. When I did sleep I had nightmares. I also had...

E_ anxiety. neuro put me on lorazapam which became candy and I was a bit of a lorazapam junkie while on topamax

F) go t this horrible ugly skin discoloration on my chest shortly after going on topamax. remember i had no health insurance and couldn't go to see a dermatologist. i found out this was a side effect when i talked to a pharmacist.

G) eye problems. tons of eye pain, woke up w/ double vision once and sharp pain all the time, dry eyes. saw opthalmologist who first diagnosed me with herpes eye, then two days later "recurring corneal erosion" and then they were stumped. it was a "mysterious virus mimicking herpes eye and recurring corneal erosion". I ended up leaving LA because my life was so in toilet and needed to go to my mother's for help. symptoms of eye problems were treated but they came right back. typical of topamax (so is blindness and glaucoma).

i begged my doctor incessantly to help me get on another patient assistance program but she refused. I cannot understand why she wouldn't help me. IT was topamax or nopamax. I left LA to get off this drug. LA was my home of ten years. Now getting help from epilepsy foundation and I've met others who had BAD experience, so bad that they lost jobs, dropped out of school.

Be careful. This is a serious drug that needs to be monitored by doctors who understand the meaning of consequences.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
    renew4u
    (female)

renew4u HB User

hi, i hope i am not oout of place by suggesting natural alternatives or naturally derived scientifically tested alternatives to sleeping and anxiety problems..i have been involved with Chinese medicine and herbal remedies for more than 10 years and it never fails to amaze me what nature can do for all that ails us..
    try some RestEZ..also look at some of the chemicals that are used in the home, they might be affecting you.

Make sure your lifestyle isn't poisoning you..

best wishes

cath

Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i really am sorry for what your doc put you thru with topamax.you were having a major reaction and it was not stopped.that is not your fault.why did you not just seek out another doc?the side effects alone would have been enough for me to just have to go off of this.even going to an ER would have been better than living in this drug hell.this is almost exactly what i went thru with lyrica.but there are others who take these meds and have no problems.my son had a horrid reaction to prozac and we lost the normal 'him' for about a year.despite the fact i kept telling his psyc doc that i was sure it was the meds making this all happen,i was patted on the head and told oh no,it couldn't be the meds.yea right.it wasn't til he had a major crisis and we got him to see a really fantastic psyc doc in a good mental health facility that we DID find out it WAS his SSRIs.it was a horrible experience for all of us.so believe me, i can relate to what you probably went thru.the thing is,every person will react in a highly individual way to just about any med out there.it all depends on our physiology and other factors as well.anytime you are having those severe types of symptoms with ANY med,you DO need to get the hell off of them,but with the help of your doc.most of these meds have to be tapered and cannot be stopped suddenly.espescially when you are treating epilepsy.but you always have that right to seek out the help from a doc that actually gives a darn about their patients.sometimes you just have to do what is best for you.your doc plain screwed up here in not listening to you,the patient and what you were experiencing,and thats just not what a good doc does for their patients.you did deserve better than what you got.the big thing you have to remember with any medication is that just because one person reacted to it doesn't make it a bad drug.its just your individual response.tho i would never ever place my son back onto any SSRI again,i have been on lexapro for my depression for many years and it is working without any real side effects at all.unfortunetly you just do not know how any drug will work for you til you try it.thats just the way these things work.anytime you are experiencing the side effects of any med that are just too much for you,your doc should be helping you out with a change to a comparable med to do the job.thats just good/standard care.i certainly hope you have found something else that works for you since this nightmare.good luck to you, **

Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
    lightgreen
    (male)

lightgreen HB User

I've been taking Topamax for migraines. For the first week, it knocked me out, so I guess you could say it helped with sleeping. But after that, I was waking up fully alert many times throughout the night. So I think once your body gets used to processing it, it doesn't work as a sleep aid. Another effect I've experienced has been problems with remembering words, and processing information takes longer. Makes me look stupid at work, I can definitely sympathize with the other poster - today I couldn't conjure the word 'turnstile' in a conversation. Basically it makes me 'slow'. Also, during the adjustment period, I was experiencing mood swings, and a zonked out feeling. Now, it doesn't make me as tired physically, but still slows me down mentally. I am on a low dose, I'm sure it would be rough to be on 100mg a day. On the plus side, it has been effective against the migraines I was having which caused severe prolonged visual disturbances followed by migraine headaches. I wouldn't recommend it for sleep loss however.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
    valderee
    (female)

valderee HB User
    Thumbs down Re: TOPAMAX Sleeping aid???

Both my 13 year old son and I (45) took topamax for migraines. We both fell into a pit of depression that was unrellenting. Since the Dr. said that was not a side effect, I did my own research. Turns out that depression is a common side effect of Topamax. We both stopped it and felt better in a few days.

Closed Thread