It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Right leg muscle spasm...need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User
    Exclamation Right leg muscle spasm...need help

Little background on me. I am 28yr f who takes Cymbalta, Synthroid, and Glucophage-I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 monts and the other two for a year (I"m not going to list the reasons why I take these meds, because I would like to try and get as unbiased of anwers from people as possible). 2 mos ago my right leg started spasming at night. Went to dr.and he thought it was restless leg syndrome. tried mirapex and made me so nauseus i couldnt take it. after about a month, my leg started to spasm periodically during the day, dr. still thought rls. well for about 3 weeks now, my right leg spasms all day and all night, and its become very violent. Nothing else spasms on my body. After going to the Er last friday, my dr. and the er doctor agreed that I need to see a neurologist for some kind of movement disorder. I have an appt on 9/6/07. The only other symptoms that seem related at all are that I am vomiting almost every day, sometimes 2-3x day. I have also lost 20 lbs in a few months (I'm not trying to lose weight-fyi). When I was 14, I went to a neurologist because I occasionally lost feeling in my right hand-they did an emg and never could find a reason. To this day, that still happens, but maybe every 4-5 months and it only last for a few hours. Has anyone out there ever experienced this or have any ideas of what it could be? My dr's want me to see a neurologist b/c they have a few theories...all of which scare the crap out of me. I would appreciate any help!

The following user gives a hug of support to thumper79:
    marymay2222 (08-01-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User
    Question Re: Right leg muscle spasm...need help

Still waiting to see if anyone can help me!!! Thanks!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User
    Re: Right leg muscle spasm...need help

Speak to your pharmacist about side effects from your drugs. I noticed my leg spasms got worse when they upped my glucophage. I was dropping potassium too fast and now they have me on a potassium supplement and it has helped. DO NOT just go out and stop popping potassium though as it may aslo e too MUCH potassium especially if you are on gluco for diabetes.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did you have ANY of these symptoms BEFORE you actually started the cymbalta?i am only asking as cymbalta REALLY enhanced my already pre existing leg spasticty from spinal cord injury.bad!the longer i was on it,the worse it got and the night of the first day i was told to raise my dosage up from the starting of 30mgs just up to 40mgs,things got crazy that night.i litterally jumped out of bed with my right leg going absolutely nuts on me.that was when i decided to start tapering the next morning,it was that bad.i also have RSD in the right leg that has always had a hyper reflex along with certain RLS type symptoms(kind of hard to explain but the RLS is in a very small area to the right side of my knee),this on top of the SCI spasticity just put me over the top with the cymbalta component added.once i was completely off cymbalta,things were sooo much better.it was not a good med for me at all.you may,with your docs help of course,try and taper off the cymbalta just to see how things feel for you.it would be othe only real way to know for certain whether this is actually being caused by the cymbalta or something else.what is your current dosage of cymbalta?do you have PN? **

Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User

thanks, i will ask my doctor about the cymbalta. i had the throwing up before cymbalta and i have had the leg problem on and off before cymbalta, but not like this. i appreciate your help

Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User

Update: see if anyone has any ideas...getting very nervous. I am starting to have a problem with my handwriting in the last few days. I used to get complimented on my writing and now its really deteriorating. Again, this is my right hand and its my right leg that does the horrible spasms. I don't have twitching in my hand, just seem to not be able to write anymore. My neuro appt. is on thursday

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi,

There are a lot of different conditions which have symptoms similiar to what you describe. Among them are Lyme's disease and MS. Then again, your medications could be causing problems.

I hope you get some answers soon. I know how frustrating it can be to have something going on and not know what it is. Please let us know what you find out.

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User

I appreciate your help. How do people get Lyme disease? I noticed that on your post that it said "probable ms in march 07"? I hope I'm not being too personal, but what symptoms did/do you have that led them to this conclusion and have they not fully figured it out. It is all so confusing and nerve wracking.
    Hugs,
    K

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi again,

Lyme's disease is usually contracted through a tick bite. The deer ticks which transmit the disease are so small, many people don't even know that they've been bitten. It can cause almost identical symptoms to MS.

As for my symptoms, no, they haven't figured it out yet. MS is a diagnosis of exclusion. There is no definite test for it, and the diagnosis is usually reached after ruling out everything else. I've had a multitude of tests - everything from MRIs to blood work to a lumbar puncture and evoked potential tests. Many of these tests have been normal, some have not. That often happens in MS. It sometimes takes years to get a firm diagnosis.

As for my symptoms, in May 2002, I started having extreme fatigue. I'd be so exhausted that I could barely function. That let up within a month or so, but then returned in April 2003, June 2005 and October 2005. In October of 2005, I also had a hot spot about the size of a silver dollar on my right thigh for several days. I didn't think anything of these symptoms and just went merrily on my way until May of last year when all heck broke loose.

When summer started last year, the fatigue returned, along with a host of other neurological symptoms. I had my first appointment with a neurologist in June of 2006. My neuro exam showed a present Babinski reflex in my left foot and dysarthria (slurred speech). My recent neuro exams still show the Babinski reflex in my left foot and also hyperactive knee reflexes in my left leg.

Over the last year, I've had or currently have the following symptoms:

* almost constant extreme fatigue (feels like I've just run a 20K marathon race through neck-deep wet cement)
    * constant visible and non-visible internal tremors
    * numbness and tingling in my face and left foot
    * sharp, shooting nerve pains in my head, arms, legs, feet, etc.
    * a sensation like I'm wear a hat and one that feels like someone is pushing on the upper outer part of my right ear
    * a tight sensation around my rib cage like I'm wearing a belt or girdle
    * buzzing sensations in my muscles (feels like a pager set on vibrate)
    * severe muscle spasms/stiffness/weakness to the point of not being able to walk at times (especially in my legs, the left leg more than the right)
    * constant tinnitus (ringing) in my left ear
    * trigeminal neuralgia (severe nerve pain in my face)
    * balance problems
    * vertigo and nausea
    * heat intolerance (fatigue, problems walking, and blurrred vision after being exposed to heat)
    * visual problems (blurred vision, floaters, light sparks)
    * slurred speech
    * slow word recall
    * short-term memory problems (which are getting really bad recently)
    * concentration problems
    * substituting the wrong word
    * difficulty swallowing (recent symptom)

This whole ordeal has been extremely frustrating. I just got married again last year and my husband and I just bought a new home a year ago. Also, I'm an assistant professor at a community college, and these problems are majorily interferring with my life and with my career.

My doctor is trying to get my insurance company to approve a visit to Mayo Clinic for me. I'm praying it goes through so that maybe I can finally get some answers and some sort of treatment to either stop or slow down whatever this is.

If you have any other questions or just need to talk to someone who understand, feel free to let me know.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 09-04-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Thumper,

Have you tried going off the Cymbalta (switching to a different antidepressant) since your neurological symptoms began? Cymbalta can cause many of your symptoms - weakness, fatigue, muscle cramps, nausea, etc. I do understand that your vomiting began before the Cymbalta, however from what I'm reading, your neurological symptoms didn't.

I would think that changing the cymbalta would be a logical first step. What do you think?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User

Thanks for responding! Actually, i may have not been very good when i did my original post. I've actually had problems with losing the feeling in my right hand back when I was 15 and it still happens. the leg thing has been in the last couple of months and has gotten really bad. but, i did have the prob. from time to time ever before i was on any of those meds. sorry, but i'm new at the whole posting thing and forget to mention things. good idea that you had though. i have also been on cymbalta before and never had the prob.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
    thumper79
    (female)

thumper79 HB User

Lisa,
    Thanks for giving me all that info. Wow...you have been through so much. Hopefully you have a very supportive family and friend network. This is all so new to me and up until this weekend I have been handling it fairly well. Its just in the last couple of days that I feel like I have gotten really emotional and becoming very concerned. It's also quite embarrasing when I get my leg spasms so bad in public. When I had seen the ER dr. he was very concerned and had given me anti-seizure meds intraven., but they didnt help at all. he kinda made me nervous with his thoughts about what it could be: ms, parkinsons, cancer tumor pressing on a nerve, or als. Alot of people have told me that I'm too young to have ALS, but trust me I"m not. I spent a month over in China for my husbands stem cell surgery (he's a c5-c6 quad) and the other patients that were there for als stem cell surgery. the ages were 7 yrs, 14 yrs, 27 yrs, late 30s and early to late 40's. I think its the not knowing that is driving me insane. I really appreciate you listening to me vent and you not even knowing who I am. If you ever need to talk, I'm here too. Sorry I went on and on.

Hugs,
    Kendra

Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Kendra,

I know how embarrassing the leg cramps can be when you're in public. Usually I have constant leg spasms that feel like horrible Charlier horses. The only thing that makes me comfortable is a medication called baclofen. However, last week, I was walking down the hallway at work on my way to class, when a "zinger" spasm hit my right calf. It was there one minute and gone the next. It grabbed my muscle that I was trying to walk with and made it impossible to take a step. I almost fell, but ended up stumbling and grabbed the wall for support - not really something you want to do when you're walking in front of a group of college kids. I recovered, but a few steps later, another spasm hit my right thigh. I was a bit more prepared and was able to catch myself, but by the time I got to my class, about four others had "zinged" their way through my leg. Not fun at all! I was just glad that I wasn't walking up or down the stairs or I would have probably bounced all the way to the bottom.

Anyway, please let me know what you find out. I hope it's nothing serious and you'll be able to get a quick answer and cure.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 09-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Thumper and Sashi,

Do either of you drink diet drinks or use artificial sweetners? There is an awful lot of information coming out about neurological problems associated with their use.

Thumper, despite the fact that your problems started before the Cymbalta, if they have worsened since being on it, I definitely would look into changing that medication.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Index,

I drank diet sodas for over twenty years, ever since they started using aspartame for sweetner. I've stopped drinking them in the past six months, just in case, though if they do cause neurological problems, it's probably already too late. I'm sure I've rotted my brain with the things over the years.

However, my neurologist doesn't believe that artificial sweetners cause problems. She said that there has been no scientific evidence to support the claim and until there is, all other "proof" is just heresay.

Who knows? But I think it's better to be safe than sorry, so no diet Pepsi for me!

Closed Thread