It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• I'm a mess.. Please help. :*(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User
    Exclamation I'm a mess.. Please help. :*(

Hi.. I'm new here. I found this surfing, looking for some kind of answer as to what is going on with me. However, I can't find any suitable answers, my doctors are running me in circles and I feel hopeless at this point.

I had been having irregular bowel movements for about 2-3 months when I finally got so freaked out I made an appointment with a Gastro-Intestinal doctor. He put me on medication for IBS called "Hyoscyamine" and sent me for blood work. About a week into taking the medication I started feeling AWFUL. I'm talking stuffiness, intense migraines and pressure in head and face, and just overall crappy. He then put me on iron pills to help control my Anemia. This was not changing any symptoms, so I went to my primary who told me I had a sinus infection and as being allergic to Penicillin, put me on "Omnicef". At this point, I had also been having horrible, stabbing and at times unbearable pains radiating from the top of my jaw bone down to the top of my abdomen and all throughout my back only on the right side of my body. Doctor did not address this and I chalked it up to anxiety.

However, I am now having the pain more frequently and for longer periods during the day. I also wake up feeling extremely fatigued and with an intense migraine or sinus/tension headache that is not relieved with Excedrin or advil or what have you. And I'm talking about nauseous, don't-want-to-get-out-of-bed irritability and sensitivity as well(no vomiting, but loss of appetite is often concurrent with symptoms) I have a bad habit of looking up symptoms on the internet and I probably am a Web-o-chondriac. However, I DO know that chest pains are bad. As for possible "diseases" it came back stating it could be anything from Gall Bladder problems to DVT to Arrhythmia and some kind of artery problem. I have recently lost my job and am without insurance, so I can't even have the colonoscopy the Gastro is recommending.

My question is this: Should I just get a form of insurance and have the colonoscopy, or should I see my primary tomorrow and demand an EKG or stress test and find out what is going on in my right-breast area? I'm only 22 years old and I don't understand what is going on here. I don't do drugs, and I don't drink, and only smoke 2-4 cigarettes a day. I have been smoking since I was 17 and have never encountered this kind of problem before. I'm actually really scared but thinking that I'm too young for heart disease?

About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with Endomitriosis, and my gynecologist put me on Femcom birthcontrol to help control the endo, as well as partially correct my periods. I have taken BC before (ortho-tricyclen, injections) and this seems to be working well, but am not sure if it could be causing some of the symptoms I am feeling? I DO NOT think it is just "anxiety" or nerves or any of that. I was taking xanax to control the anxiety but my primary told me he would not prescribe me any more because he said "I don't practice medicine that way - if you want more xanax, go see a psychiatrist".. So I just stopped taking it due to lack of insurance to see a mental health doctor, and have been alright not taking it; so I really don't think it's anxiety or complications from endo... I'm just really worried and confused.

Please help.

Last edited by nbwoah12345; 09-24-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    Re: I'm a mess.. Please help. :*(

HI nbw,
    sorry the dr's are giving you a run around. I've been there, done that too.
    it's frustrating to no end.
    I wouldn't give up, especially the fact you're suffering pain in your chest.

go and apply for medicaid. tell them your situation and I'm sure you'll be able to get some form of short term medical assistance.
    you can even go on line to print out the applications. It's alot to fill out and may look intimidating, but it's worth it.

I like the term you used, a web o chondriac, Hee, hee, I often thought I am too. I've learned lots of things by studying over the internet but we do have to be carful too. we can begin to feel what we study. they say medical students who are studying begin feeling the symtoms of what they study. I forgot what type of syndrome they call this.
    at least you know you have to be careful what you read.

You should have a cat scan peformed on your head for your sinuses, plus you should get an ekg, and a chest xray. you may have pulled a muscle in your right chest, or you might have a clot if you were on birth control and you smoke. you don't smoke much, but you do smoke, which they say hormones and smoking do not go together. they warn you of this.

I smoke, so I'm not bashing you on that.

i would suggest you do both. apply for the medicaid AND go see your gp for an ekg. you can make a payment arrangement with the nurses if you can't afford to pay the entire bill.
    don't just sit back and do nothing because they can't find anything wrong so quickly. certain diagnoseses can take time before they're found.

I wish you the best outcome.

sincerely,
    linda

Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User

Linda thanks so much for the warm wishes.. Going to the primary today!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
    mctassi
    (female)

mctassi HB User

hi 12345,
    You really need to check out the lyme board. What you are experiencing is classic of what lyme people go through. Everything from gyn issues to sinus infections. Lots of people do not remember being bitten by a tick or any type of rash. People search for years trying to find out what is wrong with them. Many are told anxiety, stress, ect. Nothing shows up on blood tests and everything appears "normal" but something is WRONG.
    You really should do some research on it. Good luck. mc

Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User

Well, just went to the GP.. And you know what they said? That it's "all in my head" and then Rx'd me PROZAC!!

I know it is not anxiety, being as I have it I know what it feels like.

It seems every doctor just wants to throw me on pills to cover it up. I just want a resolution and some answers.

And it's not Lyme, I checked my body and don't have any bites (nor have i had any in the past year).

This sucks... Anyone have some ideas as to what to do next? I asked them to do an x-ray of my chest and/or an EKG but said it was irrelevant.

I feel so lost!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
    morgane77
    (female)

morgane77 HB User

Please do find a way to get all the possible tests done, especially CT for pancreas, liver and stomach and all, particularly the pancreas (can cause pain similarly to what you are describing). Anything in that organ is extremely hard to detect and because it is rare, doctors don't usually check it first, it does not come up on an ultrasound!

Best Wishes!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User

Are you still taking the medication that the Gastro Dr. prescribed? If the other symptoms all started about a week after beginning the med., that should be a prime suspect. There are always other meds that you could try for the bowel issues.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
    mctassi
    (female)

mctassi HB User

nbw,
    Believe me I'm not trying to push lyme on you, but you would be surprised. Most people don't remember a tick bite at all. There are 2 camps of doctors on lyme. Both camps seem to believe it can be passed from mother to child. Some doctors believe it can be sexually transmitted. Lyme is similar to syphillis in it's make up. So much is not know about it that it's scary.
    If you believe you have a MULTI- system disease and the doctors can not find anything wrong with you, read some of the lyme stories. Take care and good luck on your quest. mc

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User

Thank you all very much for the kind words, and advice. I am a little agitated that they threw prozac at me and ignored my request for both an EKG and chest x-ray.. So, I have decided to get a 2nd opinion, also talk to people at St Peters to see if I can get an xray done and also stop taking the IBS medication for a few days to see if it relieves any symptoms (however, it says symptoms are dizziness, nausea and cramps, nothing about chest pain). When I spoke to the gastro today they told me to get the prozac (uhm no), and that I could possibly be allergic to wheat and to try a wheat-free & gluten-free diet until I schedule and actually have the colonoscopy. Either way, I'm getting a 2nd opinion on the chest pains & stopping the Hyoscamine for a few days...

Thank you all again for actually listening to me, my fears, and my issues - I really appreciate the support and I will definitely check in as soon as I find out what is going on...

As for the lyme.. What would the bite look like? See, I did have this weird pimple thing on the inside of my thigh but I chalked it up to a heat rash when all of a sudden it became almost like a cyst and when i broke it open, it was a bloody & puss-like discharge - does that sound like a tick bite????? I've never thought to have been bitten before so if that sounds like one, please let me know so I can tell the doctors!!!

Thank you all <3

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User
    Re: I'm a mess.. -> just found this on the internet!!

What are the possible side effects of L-hyoscyamine?

If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking L-hyoscyamine and seek emergency medical attention:

an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);

an irregular or fast heart rate;

rash or flushing; or

eye pain.

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take L-hyoscyamine and talk to your doctor if you experience

headache, dizziness, or lightheadedness;

weakness or nervousness;

blurred vision, large pupils, or sensitivity of the eyes to bright light;

nausea, bloating, heartburn, or constipation;

changes in taste;

difficulty urinating;

decreased sweating; or

nasal congestion, stuffiness, or a dry mouth.

...doesn't explain chest pain BUT it does explain some other things.. definitely not taking it for a few days to see if things get better.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User
    Exclamation Re: I'm a mess.. Please help. :*(

possible answer to the chest pains... after looking around a bit, I found a common post site where you can post side effects you might experience from medications, and found to noticed quite a few people are getting pains from the Femcon FE! I'm actually going to speak about this with my Gyno tomorrow (shoot her a phone call even though my next appt is 10/17) and see what I should do... As far as the "prozac" issue, what do you think - should I take it or no? I don't want to take it being as it's kind of labeled and viewed not so good, but I also do not want to take an antidepressant and have to take it for months, or years and then have to endure terrible side effects.. Any advice for that?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

NBW,
    I didn't suffer ANY side effects of prozac and loved it.
    it actually opened my eyes to life again.
    I didn't realize how horrible i really felt until I felt good again if that makes any sense?

I was on it for about one year and then it wasn't working as good. I didn't suffer any side effects of stopping it. I was then put on what I think is even BETTER than prozac, and that's zoloft. there are NO side effects on that one either and I specifically asked for this one because I too was told I needed anti anxiety meds when a hemotologist that checked me out that I found, because no one seemed to be helping me.
    I at first felt insuted that this dr told me I have G.A.D. "general anxiety disorder" which can make you SICK pysically.
    it caused a host of problems in the body and is a real illness. it's not considered an emotional illness but a physical illness and needs to be addressed by a dr.
    I was having palpitations frequently and having sharp pains in my chest and tightness in my chest on my way home from work on and off. it would happen at night when I'd lay in bed too. which really started scaring me.
    but I'm telling you, after starting the prozac, I dont' feel that anymore.

I feel it some times again but very seldom now that I'm on the zoloft.

it doesnt hurt to try the prozac. all drugs have some form of side effects but these two were the least of symtoms. I tried prozac when it first came out many years ago. it caused dry mouth, and I had lack of appetite which makes you lose alittle weight and my food tasted like card board. bland like. but that eventually goes away.

I would also suggest you getting a hormone test done from you gyno. maybe your hormones are out of wack? they have to do a specific blood test for that and wouldn't do it on a classic cbc panel.

the lymes test woudn't hurt either. I had lymes disease and was shocked when diagnosed with it back in the late early 90's. as a matter of fact, my two daughters and one son out of two sons had it. my husband didn't either like my son.
    my little girl had a strange rash all over her and my mom said to bring her to the dr. that's when we found out.
    you don't always get the classic bulls eye rash. the were'nt raised little pustules of pus either.
    when I went to the dr for chest pains now that I think of it and I was so weak all the time that I could barely push a vacume and barely walk down the basement to do the laundry, that's when I went to the dr back then and they did the lymes. bingo!
    we lived in what's considered the "black hole" for lymes I was told by my primary.
    lymes can mess you up and cause alot of chaos in the body and people aren't even aware they're walking around with it.

I didnt' even know I was bitten. I did remember pulling off the size of ticks that the size of pin heads. they can look like little freckles.
    my sister was shocked that I could see them.
    so it is an idea to pursue.

also, TRY the medication they're offering and just see if the systoms improve. if it doesnt, then you know it's not what they're saying it is.

good luck on your primary visit.

keep us informed.

linda

Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #13
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

nb.......I had unpleasant side effects from Zoloft, never tried Prozac. I won't take any antidepressants, but that's a personal decision. If it were me I'd try to get the other symptoms/issues solved before I'd add another medication. The chest pain could be a stomach or digestive issue. I had pains that I thought was a heart attack and it turned out to be anxiety (my husband had just passed away the month before) causing terrible stomach acid. It hurt from the front of my chest through to my back. Anyway, I hope you get things worked out and try not to panic.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #14
    nbwoah12345
    (female)

nbwoah12345 HB User
    Re: I'm a mess.. PROZAC?

i looked online and many people say it made them gain weight... so is it more of a chance to gain weight than to lose weight? i'm on a diet now so i'm really not trying to make it any hearder...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

I took Zoloft and loved it. I did gain about 15 pounds but I was happier. I would take that 15 pounds of happiness over my feelings of dread and every day anxiety. As someone already posted you don't realize how bad you were until you are feeling good. I messed with that when I came off of it a year ago because I was feeling so much better. I had a relapse a few months later and am now on a different anti-anxiety med to get back to the way I had been.

Like you I suffer from IBS and am always constipated. That constipation causes my GERD to be a lot worse and I can't breathe. I have been to the ER more times than I will admit to anyone. Each time I am told to go to the bathroom and am given stronger antacids.

Anxiety will cause all your issues to be worse. I also agree with what was posted about it being an illness. I am fine until my anxiety kicks in and once it starts it can go on for months if I do not take care of it. I have read all about how to self manage this and exercises you can do to make yourself feel better but that is hard when your brain is convinced your body is going through trauma. It really wreaks havoc on your nervous system which in turn throws everything else out of whack.

I don't push medication upon anyone but I will tell you for me it made a world of difference. You just have to give yourself the two - three weeks time to adjust to the medication.

Good luck!

Last edited by stimi3ak; 09-26-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Closed Thread