It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Need Help concerning a Hematoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
    stormrage2008
    (male)

stormrage2008 HB User
    Need Help concerning a Hematoma

I'm 18 years old male. I was in a fight yesterday with a guy about the same age, and we both hit each other in the face etc... After the fight the hematoma on my left cheek near the nose(the nose is ok) started to swell and on my way home i put ice there. Didn't help too much. Didn't have nausea/lost consciousness, but went to the hospital to check for internal brain bleeding just in case. They did X-Ray for broken bones and CT for hemmorage, eye check and everything was Okay and good, but still the hematoma covers half of my left eye and I cant see anything below with my left eye(the keyboard when I type, for example). Is there any way I can increase the blood drainage process, because it looks really awful, like a big black lump covering my eye. I have a trip tomorrow and if the lump(it can be black but it has to be flat) I wont go and I was looking for it for a long time.
    Of course it has to be safe and healthy or else it doesn't matter because I rather miss the trip than overgo surgery because I stuck a needle/pencil there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Need Help concerning a Hematoma

unfortunetly only time and ice will help reduce and eventually heal your hematoma.if you need to take something for pain,do not take anything like ibuprofen/advil?this can actually cause more bleeding since it tends to thin the blood a bit like aspirin does?tylenol would be good tho.your body will have to break down and absorb all of the accumulated blood,just like with a bruise,before this will actually go away for you.its just the process our bodies have to go thru to heal itself properly.there really isn't anything that will 'speed it up' just time.tho icing every hour for about 20 minutes would possibly help,but unfortunetly,that is about your only real option at this point.at least you did the right thing here by getting x rays and an eval for concussion.time will just have to take care of this for you now.sorry i couldn't be of more help.good luck and just give it time and be careful.if you cannot actually see out of that eye right now,i most certainly wouldn't attempt to drive at all til things get better.if things don't 'look' right after about a week with regards to your sight,i would see an eye doc for an exam.you just need to make certain your sight wasn't affected in some way by the trauma.please let me know how things are going for you. **

Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
    stormrage2008
    (male)

stormrage2008 HB User

I'm all-right, thanks! No pain at all,eyesight perfect(except the hematoma below my left eye covers a 1/4 of my eye) my gramma came to check me and suggested putting uncooked, mashed potatos on my bruise to suck the blood, I agreed, not sure if it worked but it seems so. Something about the starch in it... I have accamulated small amount of blood in my eye, like when I had pertussis; Nothing to worry about! Thanks for asking!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

ah,those old home remidies.there is something about the older folks who didn't have certain options when certain things happened way back when.nothing would really suprise me since when i was a kid and got some kind of a infection in a finger,my grandmother told me to chew up a part of the 'heel/end piece of some freshly baked bread,spread it over the cut and wrap it up over night.the next morning,the yeast in that bread/paste crap i chewed up contained all of the puss that had been in the cut.it had something to do with the yeast in the bread and actually drawing it out of the cut.go figure.since actually experiencing that little wonder,i am pretty much willing to try anything new that comes from the older set.they had to make due with alot of the things that we just take for granted these days and find things that worked for them when things happened.i do hope things heal soon for you.sometimes our grandparents really do know best. **

Closed Thread