It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Possible Strep throat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
    Tobeh
    (male)

Tobeh HB User
    Possible Strep throat?

Hi, I just woke up right now and am unable to fall asleep due to unbareable throat pain when I swallow. I took some tylenol and that seemed to help and I'm drinking lots of water. I've been sick for about 3 days now (the throat pain was just in the past 3 hours). I almost left work on Saturday because of a slight fever, pounding headaches and body aches. The body aches stayed for sunday, left monday; same with the fever. Since its 4:30 in the morning I can't exactly have somone take a look at my throat for me, I tried but cant seem to get a good look. Along with the throat pain, my neck is also quite sore, more specifically my lymph nodes. Now I've been dealing with a runny nose, and my throat was pretty sore on saturday, but nowhere -near- this bad.

I also tend to create symptoms in my head, I worry quite a bit. I don't have insurance so I was also wondering how much an average doctors visit/diagnosis/perscription cost me. Any input is apreciated.

Edit: Infact, yesterday (Monday), I felt almost 90% better. My fever was almost gone, nothing ached but my neck, and I even ate some food that I probobly shouldn't have if I had a sore throat and even weaker stomach than usual.

Only reason I'm posting is because of the complications of strep throad. heart complications, mental complications.

Last edited by Tobeh; 03-25-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Other info. 2: clarity for reason of post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Possible Strep throat?

unfortunetly,the only way to really know for certain whether or not this could be a strep infection is with a throat culture. this is the only type of test that can rule it in or out for you and you really do need to make certain. sounds alot like the flu tho to me,but you still really need to know,since anti biotics may be needed. you could see the lab at your docs office just for the culture,without a doc appt,tho the appt would be a good idea.

you just have alot of symptoms which could be alot of things. they do have those 'minute clinics" now in i think its cub or wal mart or k mart or something? that would probably be the cheapest way to go for ya. just call them and see if they run one thru one of your local stores. someone else here may know which ones have these clinics,sorry my brain isn't 'up' yet here. or an urgent care after hours clinic too. but i do think,considering your symptoms along with the possibility of strep,you really do at the very least,need that throat culture done somewhere. like you mentioned,untreated strep can lead to things that are much worse and harder to treat if a strep infection is left without antibiotics to clear it.

despite not having insurance,it would be a much cheaper deal now to just obtain that culture than to wait,do nothing and have this turn into something worse for you to have to deal with and spend alot more money on down the road,ya know? i would just do it if i were in your shoes. hopefully it isn't anything but a virus and will pass but you DO need to find out for certain. good luck and please let me know what you find out. **

Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
    Tobeh
    (male)

Tobeh HB User

Well, I didn't get to go to the doctor today. Instead I stayed in my room, relaxing between bed and my computer chair. Just maybe 10 minutes ago I had a sharp pain in my chest for about 10 seconds which went away and hasnt been back since. I occasionally get pressure in my chest (not like heart attack pressure) due to the way I sit at the computer (arms kinda hunched in to reach keyboard and mouse, pressing in on my center, all I have to do is stretch and it usually pops a few times and is gone. The pain in the same spot as usual came after my neck started to feel "weird" all the way around the back and sides of it, not the front, after that passed, the pain started, then stopped.

Still confused as to what I actually have, flu or strep.

Edit: I had my dad check my throat with a flashlight looking for red spots or my throat being a deep red, he said he didn't see anything. (I gathered this being another good step to take from looking at pictures of strep throat and researching the symptoms/complications)

Last edited by Tobeh; 03-25-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: new info

Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

believe it or not,you can actually have strep and your throat wont always "show it'. this has happened to me when i really didn't even HAVE a sore throat either. my youngest had a very sore throat so i took him to his pediatircian and just as a precaution since HE tested positive on that 15 minute strep test,they did a culture on me too,and i DID have it,just had not turned symptomatic yet. and my throat "looked' fine. you just never know when it comes to certain conditions without backing it up with a more definitive type of test.

i would still recommend that culture be run but its of course up to you. if you don't start feeling better very soon,i would just get it. i would have someone periodically keep checking your throat too. you can just really have strep without having any major signs of it. that much i do know. sometimes you just have to see your doc(or the lab at least in this case)in order to assure something isn't actually wrong,you know what i mean? hopefully you don't have it, but this is the highest time of the year for it. let me know how things are going. **

Closed Thread