It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Not a UTI-- What is it??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    Not a UTI-- What is it??

For those of you who haven't read my other posts, here are my symptoms:
    pain in left side of my back, under my ribs, and travelling down my side to the left side of my belly button and lower to where my torso meets my leg. I happened to have an appointment with my gyno a couple of days after the pain started, so he checked me for a UTI during the exam. Because I had some discomfort when he pressed on my bladder during the pelvic exam, and he didn't feel anything wrong with my ovaries, he said I most likely had a UTI, and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics and had a urine sample sent out for tests.
    One month ago, I had the same symptoms, went to a walk-in center for a urine test and antibiotics because I was going on a trip the next day, and I felt better by the time I finished the antibiotics. When I called for the results, they said the sample was contaminated.
    I just called my gyn to find out about the results for this time, and I talked to the nurse who said my urine sample was negative. She checked with the doctor and called me back to say that it was normal, and that if I was still having symptoms, the doctor suggests I go to a urologist.
    What could this be if it's not a UTI?
    Personally, I'm actually suspecting an ovarian cyst. Two years ago, I had the same symptoms, was treated for a UTI, and then a month later, had the same symptoms, went to the ER, because again, I was supposed to go on a trip the next day and it was a Sunday, and they gave me an ultrasound in which they found a small ovarian cyst. This time, the pain is pretty much the same, and it's a month apart-- while I'm ovulating. does this sound like it could be an ovarian cyst? The pain is different from what I've read online about ovarian cysts, but it's the same for me as the last time I had one.
    What would a urologist check for? Would they give me any kind of scans where they would find an ovarian cyst if I had one even if they're looking for something else?
    Should I stop taking the antibiotics?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
    beckaboo1717
    (female)

beckaboo1717 HB User
    Re: Not a UTI-- What is it??

i have the same problems and my doctor told me i might have to have my appendix out. i feel all the same symptoms. i dont think its appendicitis.. but something to do with problems associated.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

i'm having pain on my left side, though, so it can't be my appendix. good luck, though. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
    Linda_in_NJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Do a search for endometrosis and see if it fits your symptoms. My daughter had close to the same problems and just had laprosopic surgery yesterday and the doc did find some endo. It was lasered off. They can do a trans vaginal ultra sound also and an mri. GoodLuck Linda

Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
    hermes370
    (male)

hermes370 HB User

interesting ... sorry 'bout the pain, as it can make life heck ...

anyways there could be multiple things causing this ... 1) it being left sided starting from the left flank and radiating down, one always has to think about kidney stones ... and yes, some of you may say, well in the urinalysis the docs ran was negative, what are the odds, well, I can't remember the % off the top of my head, but there are a reasonable number of urinalysis which a completely clean and do not suggest stones, even though a patient really has stones(you often see red blood cells on the urinalysis, because the stones cause irritation of the genitourinary tract and lead to microscopic if not macroscopic bleeding) ... you can occassionally see stone on a plain abdominal x-ray if the stone are radio-opaque(but not all stones are), so most often, if there really is concern based on your hx then a stone-proctol CT scan is done(this does not entail intravenous contrast), you can also send a patient home with a urine strainer and container to see if you can collect any sediment/small stones, but I would have suspected that if you passed an appreciable sediment/stones that you would have already noticed that

in terms of other causes ... ovarian cysts seen on pelvis ultrasound are a common finding on U/S ... doesn't mean it/they are causing your symptoms and doesn't mean it/they are not .. someone could check a hcg to r/o an ectopic pregnancy ... could be endometriosis, is the pain cyclical around your menses ...

anyways, that's my two cents ... there are other causes, but these are some of the more common ones

best of luck

Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks, hermes.
    I had moved this thread to the Urology board when I realized there was one, so I was giving my updates there- I saw a Urologist who ordered a CT scan and X-ray for me because he suspected kidney stones. I had those tests on Saturday, and they showed no Kidney stones...
    So now I'm back to square one and made an appointment with my physician.
    And no, the pain hasn't been cyclical around my menses, so I don't think it's endometriosis.
    And it's definitely not an ectopic pregnancy since I've never even had sex.
    Is it possible that it could be from scar tissue from the surgery I had three years ago to remove a large ovarian tumor? It was on the same side, and the pain is in just about the same area as when I was having pain from the tumor.
    I'm so stressed out about what it could be, though. I mean, the pain isn't unmanageable, but I've been living with it for over three weeks straight and I'm kind of getting tired of it.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Have your doctor check for a "trapped nerve" in that area. Sometimes a muscle can spasm and trap a nerve in the tunnel where the branch of nerves come out and head for other areas of the body.

I am having pain on the right side and have narrowed it down (my own diagnosing) to possibly being a trapped nerve, irritation of the nerve or abdominal wall hernia. I too have had surgery to remove ovaries 8 years ago. This pain does not stop, is there day and night, feels like a tight pulling hurt and at times has shooting pains go thru it.

I had galllbladder surgery 5 weeks ago (keyhole type) and wonder whether it is a result of the surgery or an old problem showing up again.

I have tried heat, muscle relaxer, to no avail. Now trying ice pack after reading it might reduce swelling of the nerve area.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks, Misty. I'll look into it.
    And I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Now the pain has moved mostly to my lower back on the left side- it's lower than it had been- it's like, where the top of my hip is, but in the back. But it radiates upward when it gets irritated (like if I sit the wrong way or am bending over to do things (like yesterday I planted flowers outside, and because I did a lot of bending over to do it, I was in a lot of pain for the rest of the night).
    And I'm getting more twinges of pain in the front, to the left of my navel and lower.
    Does this sound more like symptoms of ovarian cysts now?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Hello,
    I went to my regular physician yesterday about the back/side pain, and when I mentioned it only hurts when sitting in certain positions, and always when I'm driving and have my arm on that side extended with my hand on the steering wheel, he said, "Oh, what does this feel like?" and poked me somewhere in the back, over to the left side right below my ribcage, and OMG, I saw stars. I was like, "That hurts!" and then he moved to the side a little, and I said, "Not so much," But he moved back to that spot again and said, "But this hurts?" And I said, "Yeah!" I was actually squirming away from him because it hurt so much. So he said, "You know what that is?" and I said, "No." So he showed me a chart that was in the exam room, and I never knew this, but there's a "floating rib" that's not attached to the rib cage, and he said it must be inflamed for some reason- from an injury or something. And it will take longer to heal than regular injuries because it's bone. So he's going to have me take Celebrex- an anti-inflammatory- for three weeks, and then come back. He said if it stops hurting by then, then I should be fine. But if it still hurts, he's going to have me have a bone scan to make sure the rib isn't cracked or something.
    And he said all the pain around my side and down to my leg is just referred pain.
    I'm so relieved now. The most stressful thing about it was not knowing what was causing the pain!

So anyway, I was racking my brain all evening trying to remember when I would have injured my rib. I'm pretty clumsy and am always walking into things and falling and bruising myself and stuff, but I didn't remember hurting myself in that area. And I know that it must have been before March, because that's when it started hurting for a week or so, and then the pain subsided again until the middle of April.
    Then this morning, I almost fell down the stairs, and I remembered- In December or January, my front steps were a sheet of ice, and I was really careful trying to walk down them, but I slipped like crazy and my feet came right out from under me and I fell down the stairs. There are only 3 stairs, and the way I landed, I hit the middle of my spine on the edge of the second step, and sprained my finger on the way down. The middle of my spine hurt for a couple of weeks, but then it was fine. But that's right in the same level in my back as that rib, so I bet I hurt it then.
    Anyone know why it took 2 or 3 months for it to start hurting, though?

Closed Thread