HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   cloudy and sweet smelling urine...?? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/602820-cloudy-sweet-smelling-urine.html)

heckabecca 05-15-2008 09:22 PM

cloudy and sweet smelling urine...??

hello,
So, I had a urinary tract infection a couple months back. I went to the doctor and had a prescription ordered in for antibiotics, but I never went and got it filled because my urinary tract infection seemed so minor and it eventually went away on it's own (yes, I know. this was dumb and I should have gotten the prescription filled)

Now my urinary tract symptoms are gone, but I've noticed that my urine now has a very strong, sweet smell to it...and it is sometimes cloudy. I don't have pain when I urinate or anything. I've been reading about these symptoms and they seem to usually be an indicator of diabetes. UM YIKES! I"m 21 years old and not overweight, actually what I wanted to ask is if these symptoms might have anything to do with my crash dieting problem. It's been pretty bad this past month and I s'pose you could say I'm a bit borderline anorexic. I've been sticking to about a 300-600 calorie diet a day, but occasionally I"ll eat about 1000-1200 a day.

I"m pretty worried about my health. I know the best thing I can do is go to the doctor and get some tests and also get help with my eating issues, and I will, but I just figured I'd ask these questions here.

Lindaru 05-15-2008 09:34 PM

Re: cloudy and sweet smelling urine...??

I am married to a diabetic. Trust me when I say his urine is not sweet smelling. It is cloudy sometimes and often very dark.

I have experienced sweet smelling urine (almost like clover or hay) with cloudiness and it was a sign of a mild yeast infection for me. Diet can definitely influence a yeast infection. I have found that eating yogurt with lactobacillus acidophilus (Yoplait has this) can help combat that and it is very common to come down with one after urinary or respiratory infections.

They now sell over the counter tests for feminine infections such as yeast and other things if you want to screen yourself for that before going to the doctor. It would not hurt you to get your blood sugar tested just to be on the safe side.

Lindaru ;)

hermes370 05-16-2008 06:46 AM

Re: cloudy and sweet smelling urine...??

it's tough to say exactly what your urine "symptoms are from" ... cloudy urine is a relatively non-specific finding, can suggest infection, kidney stones/sediment, can be just related to the food you eat, can be related to non-stone kidney disease that lead to protein in your urine or can even represent vaginal discharge/infection that it contaminanting your urine ...

and the smell of your urine is also a difficult symptoms to diagnose .. yes diabetics can have sweet smelling/"tasting" -- you laugh but way back when this was one method MD's could diagnose diabetics, as glucose is spilled out in the urine, but the smell could also just be secondary to the food you eat, or you being dehydrated(you haven't mentioned anything about the color of your urine), there are other rare(and tend to be genetic) metabolic causes for sweet smelling urine, but they usually manifest earlier in life

anyways, it would probably be best to take a quick trip to your MD and let him run through some basic history questions and she/he will likely run a urinalysis +/- a finger stick

best of luck