It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Pinched Nerve?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    Pinched Nerve?

A friend of mine has been feeling a numb/tingling sensation on one side of her body for about a week. She said her leg and her butt are numb and tingly, as well as her hand on that side. Sometimes it's worse than other times, like yesterday, her hand was so numb, she couldn't grasp anything with it.
    She was told by a friend that it sounds like a pinched nerve. She doesn't have insurance, so she can't go to a doctor, so I thought I would ask here if this sounds like a pinched nerve. If so, how long do they usually take to clear up?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Pinched Nerve?

One pinched nerve could not cause the problems with both hand and leg. I'm not sure what would, exactly.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it all kind of depends upon just where,what level, that nerve was actually pinched at that would dictate what could be affected. or this could be an issue witrhin the brain too. there are many different possibilities with the areas affected that your friend described to you. i have damage in my c spine(the neck area) and it does afect my legs and my left hand too. this could also be two totally seperate issues,one within the low back area and one further up with the c spine area.

unfortunetly,the only real true way of knowing where the symptoms are stemming from would be to have a full spinal MRI. but not having insurance can be a big problem for that type of test. just seeing a primary doc to start looking at possibilities may help some. if this IS actually some level of spinal involvement, in some cases,it can resolve itself if it is from a level of inflammation,but if this is something like a compromised nerve root or disc that is placing pressure upon a nerve root,or the cord itself,it would require a surgical intevention to alleviate the symptoms. either way,your friend really does need to find out just what is actually casuing this. seeing her primary doc for at least a neurological evaluation would help. then hopefully they can work out some sort of a treatment plan or a way to at least get the spine scanned. if this is not stemming from the spinal area,like i mentioned above,it "could' possibly something that is affecting a particular area of the brain that could also cause certain symptoms to also appear. but from what you described as her symptoms,it really does sound more spinl/nerve related.

these symptoms do need to be looked into at a much deeper level tho. any real numbness has a cause that is doing something to a nerve somewhere,or even more than one nerve. sorry i couldn;t be of more help. not having insurance simply sucks in todays world. it just limits,severely what you can and cannot do with your healthcare needs. but something needs to be done,or this could become a more complicated and more spendy issue if not reolved in the earlier stages,but that also depends upon just what that main issue actually is too. hopefully your friend can at least get that spine looked into some. her doc could try some conservative types of treatments or meds like steriods or stronger anti inflammatories to just see if that may help or not. sometimes inflammation alone can cause things to become affected. but she at least needs to see her primary for that eval. i wish both of you luck with this. please keep us posted as to what you find out. **

Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thank you for your replies!

Closed Thread