It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Itchy blisters

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    Itchy blisters

I posted this on the Skin Problems board, but haven't gotten an answer, and I also have more to add to my original query...
    I have a little cluster of 5 tiny, itchy blisters on the back of my right index finger. It started out as just one blister a few days ago, and they multiplied overnight. They are itchy, and burn/sting when I touch them (though the sensitivity is subsiding as they've been there for a few days), so I've been trying not to scratch.
    The day after I got the original blister, I also got a patch of them on my stomach next to my navel. They look more red than the ones on my finger, and are less "blister-y", but very itchy.
    I also got one on the inside side of my forearm a couple of days ago, and by last night, it had multiplied to about six of them. These are also a little less like blisters (they are more like bumps with a tiny fluid-filled area in the middle), and are also very itchy. They are not clustered together like the ones on my finger or next to my navel, though. They are spread out on that part of my arm. None of the blisters have broken, so they're not oozing or anything.
    What could these be? I don't think they are bug bites because they keep "spreading" while I'm not outside. I did spend five days outside from Tuesday until Saturday when I was camping in Cape Cod. I also spent a lot of time at the beach during that time. Could I have come in contact with something in the woods or at the beach that keeps spreading after I've been home for a couple of days, or is it just a coincidence that I got them after being outside for so many days in a row?
    I was looking up clusters of itchy blisters on the internet, and one thing I kept coming across was Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac. I'm 26 years old, and have never had any of the three. I always assumed that I wasn't allergic to it because I've spent a lot of time outside in my life and have never gotten it. But I did read on one website that you may never get it until you come in contact with it enough times and you can then develop an allergy to it... I also don't really know what it looks like, because I stopped paying attention years ago when I thought I was immune to it, so I don't know if there was any around our campsite.
    One other thing is that there were also a lot of caterpillars around our campsite, particularly on my tent. I think I set up my tent under a tree with a caterpillar nest in it because by the last day when I was taking down my tent, I had to remove about 12 caterpillars from the outside of my tent, and I saw another descending from the tree above which almost landed on me. They were the brown fuzzy kind which I've heard have irritants in their hairs, and I was letting one crawl over my hands for a while. Could the caterpillars have caused a rash a few days after handling them?

Thanks for any replies!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: Itchy blisters

Sounds like it could be one of the poison plants you referred to. Try putting some calamine lotion on them and see how that works. Don't itch or pop the blisters and they should dry up.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    Re: Itchy blisters

Thanks for your reply!
    I actually just did some goog!ing for the heck of it and found out that the types of caterpillars that were all over the place at our campsite were Gypsy Moth Caterpillars, and that they can give you a rash because their hairs contain Hystamine. I bet that's what it's from because the rash sounds like what they described, and I have it in the places on my body where they said it usually manifests!

Closed Thread