It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Post Nasal Drip/Chronic Bad Breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #31
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User
    Re: Post Nasal Drip/Chronic Bad Breath

Wow. I think more than anything this site serves as a place where you can let go of your worries.

So the level of mucous in my throat has def. decreased. Im still noticing a nasty smell whenever i lick the back of my hand. I was pretty upset when I got home today. bb really sucks. Some ppl dont know or understand (In my case my mom) what we're going through and expect us to just be happy with our lives. How can we ? when we have a chronic nasty smell coming out of our mouths day after day. I was so angry at my mom earlier but i know she means well.

Hopefully the aktiv k12 will be in full effect very soon. Im seeing an ent soon. I'll let you ppl know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
    legaleagle01
    (female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Great. Just don't give up there is a cure out there and we all will figure it out, it seems as if it will take forever but it will get better. The thing that keeps me going is the way my life was before I got sick, If I can live peacfully without BB I know I can get there again.

Keep me posted. Also, anytime you want to talk or need encouragement feel free to talk to me...

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #33
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

Legal,

Thanks for your support. Im finally seeing an ENT on thursday.

Aktiv k12:

What ive noticed is that whenever I use orange juice with the aktiv oxigen serum my mouth feels cleaner than when I use it with water. I used orange juice with the serum for a week last december (even though you are only supposed to use it with water) and at the beginning of the next week the yellow stuff was gone and so was my bb. THe instructions say that you're supposed to add the orange juice once a week. Well thats just not doing the trick. I think Im going to have to do things my way again. I wonder what the ENT is going to say.

Whats new legal ???

Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #34
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloorain82 View Post
    Hi legaleagle,

Do you work in the legal field? Oh my goodness I've worked for lawfirms for the past 20 years and due to this problem decided to change industries 3 years ago and am now working for an entertainment firm in the legal department. I know EXACTLY what your going through. I have been in a horrible state for the past several years since this thing started. And it seems the harder I try to find a cure, the more drugs and supplements I take the worse this gets, (sleepless nights searching the internet). At work I to have to attend certain meetings as well -- trainings and that type of thing and it is so humiliating. People stare at me with shame and others with pity. Some snicker and laugh and sit as far away from me as possible. One woman at my job just looks at me and shakes her head in a way that says I'm hopeless. I cry a lot when these things happen and also when I think of how much time I've lost. I work on the 51st floor and I try to hold my breath in the elevator all the way up (I never make it though). Its torture the way we're living. And the doctors, oh God, they're no help at all. Absolutely none. They don't have a clue what this problem is or why we have it and the ones I've seen are just as disgusted with the smell as anybody else. I have one doctor that will tell me he smells nothing yet I can tell he holds his breath while I'm talking.

Does yogurt help you at all? I think it use to help me but now I'm not sure whether it ever did at all. The only thing that's helped is benadryl but the odor is now totally in my mouth and I have a bitter taste all the time and a dry feeling in my mouth but the mouthwashes for dry mouth don't work, neither any of the others. I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day - 3 before I go to work. I am going to pick up a humidifier and see if that helps at all. What kind of steamer do you use for your face?
    Hey bloo,

I cant believe that ppl actually laugh at you. That's so immature. As if they've never had BB themselves. Have you been to an ENT ??

Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

No matter how we got BB I see that we all have one thing in common. We pull ourselves aways from the public eye and society. I know im missing things and special moments in my life by not going out as much and avoiding my friends and social gatherings. I've decided to stay away from those things until i get rid of my bb.

I know Im on the right track because I saw improvement and the end of bb the first time i used the products I am currently using. I hope god sends eveyone in the direction toward happiness and the end of BB

Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #36
    legaleagle01
    (female)

legaleagle01 HB User

I agree. My social life changed drastically. I was a happy person with a great career and I've become so depressed and suck in a rut. I've missed so much of my life as well. I know I am getting better but the process really seems to be a slow one.

Initially, when I first got this I thougt I'll just shy away from the social scene a few weeks until I figure out how to fix this. A few weeks turned into months and now 2 years. I can't do another 6 months let alone a year. I know I will get better and I know it will be soon but I am not sure when.

My main complaint is my throat. It's not really BB but this accumulated stench there. When I gargle I smell it so much worse, it horrible. I know its a result of the acid reflux, but now sense I have the reflux under control, I can't understand why the smell hasn't improved but it hasn't at all. My B-day is in Sept. it would be the best gift ever to not have this anymore.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
    Bloorain82
    (female)

Bloorain82 HB User

I have an appt. to see an ENT today. I'm wondering about the possibility of taking my tonsils out. I've read a lot of posts on other boards about people having hidden tonsil stones - there very hard to see. I bought a small flashlight over the weekend, inserted it in my mouth with a small dental mirror and tried very hard to see lumps or bumps of some sort. Its hard because either your tongue is in the way or your teeth and what can you do about that. An ENT told me months ago that he didn't think I had any but I'm not totally convinced. I may ask to see if I could get them removed whether he thinks I have any or not. Its so strange. Whatever this is it seems to make the odor stronger with WHATEVER I eat. I could have a piece of grill chicken, or vegetables. It doesn't matter what I eat. For some people its specific to dairy or foods that cause acid reflux but I don't eat those things anyways. I'm all food intollerant. And I keep feeling this drip down my throat all the time but pnd meds don't work either. Now I do the Neilmed rinse and I take vitamin C. Other people have said they've had success with that. I stopped taking the benadryl yesterday. It was making my mouth so dry and that was also contributing to the problem.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by legaleagle01 View Post
    I agree. My social life changed drastically. I was a happy person with a great career and I've become so depressed and suck in a rut. I've missed so much of my life as well. I know I am getting better but the process really seems to be a slow one.

Initially, when I first got this I thougt I'll just shy away from the social scene a few weeks until I figure out how to fix this. A few weeks turned into months and now 2 years. I can't do another 6 months let alone a year. I know I will get better and I know it will be soon but I am not sure when.

My main complaint is my throat. It's not really BB but this accumulated stench there. When I gargle I smell it so much worse, it horrible. I know its a result of the acid reflux, but now sense I have the reflux under control, I can't understand why the smell hasn't improved but it hasn't at all. My B-day is in Sept. it would be the best gift ever to not have this anymore.
    Legal,

Do you have a white or yellow coated tongue ?? I've read from the dr. Katz site that some ppl who developed bb got it from acne medication or using long term anitbiotics. You're taking acid reflux meds right ??

Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #39
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloorain82 View Post
    I have an appt. to see an ENT today. I'm wondering about the possibility of taking my tonsils out. I've read a lot of posts on other boards about people having hidden tonsil stones - there very hard to see. I bought a small flashlight over the weekend, inserted it in my mouth with a small dental mirror and tried very hard to see lumps or bumps of some sort. Its hard because either your tongue is in the way or your teeth and what can you do about that. An ENT told me months ago that he didn't think I had any but I'm not totally convinced. I may ask to see if I could get them removed whether he thinks I have any or not. Its so strange. Whatever this is it seems to make the odor stronger with WHATEVER I eat. I could have a piece of grill chicken, or vegetables. It doesn't matter what I eat. For some people its specific to dairy or foods that cause acid reflux but I don't eat those things anyways. I'm all food intollerant. And I keep feeling this drip down my throat all the time but pnd meds don't work either. Now I do the Neilmed rinse and I take vitamin C. Other people have said they've had success with that. I stopped taking the benadryl yesterday. It was making my mouth so dry and that was also contributing to the problem.
    Bloo,
    I used to feel the pnd drip too. When I would chew gum i felt the nasty mucous in my mouth. What made the drip worse though was nasal irrigation. I guess it irritated my nose because I would spit out really thick green mucous each morning.

I know i keep bringing it up but its the only thing that has ever helped me...Have any of you tried probiotics ?? (aktiv k12)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #40
    legaleagle01
    (female)

legaleagle01 HB User

One,

I no longer have the coated tongue but it was white, stark white. Mine certianly has to do with acid reflux though because like I said earlier its really an odor that comes from my throat. When I gargle I taste the horrible taste and the smell is 100 times worse as well. its not from my mouth but instead a result of the stuff coming up and landing in my throat area. Nothing really helps it at all. But, over the last few days I've noticed a real change. I've been on the reflux meds for almost a month and a half now and it's worked well, I haven't had any episodes of reflux at all. I also am taking sinus meds as well and its been good so far with keeping the nasal congestion and PND at bay.

I've really noticed a real change by scrapping my tongue as well. I can honestly say that in another two weeks I so I will be back to my old self, my social, happy, pre-halitosis self.

I honestly thought I'd never get any better that I'd just have to adjust to living my life this way. Wish me luck.

And FYI: it was the acid reflux medicine that made the true difference.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #41
    Bloorain82
    (female)

Bloorain82 HB User

Legal - can you name which meds you're on. My ENT gave me a prescription for Nexium which I'm picking up today. He thinks I have acid reflux really bad. He discouraged me against having my tounsels out or adenoids even. I didn't mention here that I was rushed to emergency a couple of weeks ago with a horrible pain in my chest which turned out to be Acid Reflux (I had a feeling I had it but didn't know it was as bad as it is) - they gave me a prescription for something also but I never got it filled. Before the emergency visit I had been trying the HCL to see if perhaps I wasn't producing enough acid. My ENT told me this was a bad idea and because of this my acid is now pretty bad. I'm giving the Nexium a try. Will post back whether its working or not.

One - I have tried Aktiv k12 several times unfortunately with no luck. Like Legal I think my situation is coming from the back of my throat. The Benadryl helps the nose odor I guess by clearing up the mucous.

Last edited by Bloorain82; 08-22-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #42
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Post Nasal Drip/Chronic Bad Breath

Ok so I saw an ENT yesterday. He was reall eccentric and kept saying that he wants to help me. Probably cause my mom wouldnt stop saying how sick she is of "this problem" and told the doctor about how i was depressed and seen a therapist. Anyway... he ended up saying that I might have Acid Reflux and gave me some medication.

I really believe that I dont have Acid Reflux. Thankfully he sent me to get a blood test right after to make sure that I do have it.

AKtiv K12:
    I folllowed the instructions word by word for a month and I still have a smell. Less mucous maybe but still bb. So maybe stupidly/hastily/desperately however you wanna call it, I bought the aktiv k12 system again. Im using the orange juice and the serum more often now. Hopefully it works this time around. If not then i guess I'll have to stay with the eccentric ENT guy and see what he can do. Im seeing him in 2 weeks. Hopefully by then the aktiv k12 will have worked......

Last edited by onewithasoul; 08-22-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
    onewithasoul
    (male)

onewithasoul HB User

wow legal. Glad to hear that you're beating BB !!!!!!!! cheers !!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #44
    legaleagle01
    (female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Intially, I too was certain I didn't have reflux. I hadn't had any problems growing up and I couldn't really tell whether certain foods were the problem at all; so for one whole year I saw many different doctors and hoped I would get better. Then, I started paying close attention to what was happening to me. I had a really bad pain in my chest, kinda a lump sensation after eating. I couldn't drink soda, or alcohol without my throat burning and finally ice coffee made me feel absolutely horrible. I still wasn't convinced because the bad breath, ear pain, sore throat and laryngitis all seemed to be sinus related not anything to do with my stomach at all. I saw two gastros who said the same thing.

Then I found a good gastro who told me about LPR. With LPR, sinus issues and stomach issues are related. The acid reflux causes the sinus issues. He put me on Protonix 2 times a day and I've been taking if for about a month and a week. So far, I feel much better I haven't had any episodes. I still stay away from tomatoes, tea, coffee, and chocolate but I eat other things. I had buffalo wings the other night with no problems.

Now, as for medicine. I tried nexium for a while and it didn't help me but that was just my experience. Other people say the same about protonix.

My hope is that the smell will be gone completely by the end of August or at least the first week in Sept. Its imporved almost 80%. I can now sit at my desk with little discomfort or complaints. I still can't carry on a decent conversation without people rubbing their nose but pretty soon I think I will be able too. The other thing is other people in my family also suffer with reflux so I confirmed I had it that way as well...

I am excited and a little afraid because I've had this proble so long I thought I'd always have it and now that I am improving slightly and slowly I keep waiting for things to change. I wish you all luck.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #45
    Bloorain82
    (female)

Bloorain82 HB User

I'm so happy for you Legal! Hopefully great things will start to come your way! Please post updates on your progress. I'm only 3 days now on Nexium so we'll see how it goes for me and I switched to Clarinex (non-drowsy) to help with the nasal mucous and pnd.

One your gonna beat this problem as well. Hopefully the ENT will help you figure this all out.

Closed Thread