It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Dislocated Shoulder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
    Yorkes11
    (female)

Yorkes11 HB User
    Question Dislocated Shoulder

My husband dislocated his shoulder while sleeping. This has happened twice during his sleep. He is waiting for a surgery date. The strange thing about this time is that when he tried moving it, which he has been able to do a couple of days after dislocating it, this time the area around the dislocation inflammed, I mean it looked sunburnt and was extremely hot to touch. He stopped what he was doing and put the sling back on to keep it mobilized and applied ice. But what could that mean, he has never had the happen before. Could there be something more serious to have it instantly go red and hot? With anything else that would be infection but can you have that with dislocations?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: Dislocated Shoulder

I would ice it and definately have another doctor take a look at it while waiting for the surgery date. It's better to be safe. It's weird how things happen to us in our sleep. I have things happen to me too during my sleep. Like biting the sides of my mouth and some body parts hurt like I slept on them wrong. Good luck with things!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a thought here,but i am thinking this was already going on at a much deeper level and whatever movement occured just brought it out to a more of a surface issue now?just exactly what is wrong with that shoulder that is requireing the surgery in the first place? has he had an MRI done recently? if so,what does it state as the bigger issues? if this dislocation has been occuring over and over again,you can bet that the underlying tissues and muscle/tendons have been irritated and inflammed for a while now.everytime a bone gets dislocated,it will inflame/damage the surrounding soft tissue to some degree. that is why getting a sprain(where a bone temporarily dislocates,damages tissue and then goes back to where its supposed to be?)usually will cause some pretty extensive bruising and ALOT of swelling, and some level of tissue(muscle,tendon and other soft tissue structures) damage. knowing what the surgery is needed for would help. when a body part gets extremely inflammed,it can generate alot of heat as well. but there are other possibilities too that may or may not be involved. alot depends upon just what the underlying problem is that needs to be corrected and what it is affecting inside there.

i would most definitely contact the surgeon or at the very least your primary doc for some help here with trying to get that inflammation down(a round of prednisone would be a good choice for the inflammation). i know from personal experience,ice became my very best friend after my rotator cuff surgery was done on my shoulder. it was about the only thing that really helped me with swelling and the overwhelming pain of the surgery itself. i am still in the healing stages from that. hopefully this is only inflammation and not some level of sympathetic involvement. just keep things iced(and use that sling) and speak to your primary about pain management and anti inflammatory meds while you have to wait. but make certain his surgeon knows about this latest development,he may get that surgery done much more quickly. good luck to the both of you. **

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
    Yorkes11
    (female)

Yorkes11 HB User

Is there any way to keep it from slipping out while he is sleeping. He wears the immobilizer sling but wakes up to find his arm out of it. Also, I guess he kinda has Restless leg or body syndrom so when he relaxes to go to sleep he gets jerked awake and then feels his shoulder almost slipping out of the socket. He is not sleeping at all and has to get up for 5:15am, for a 45 minute drive to work and back. He is waiting for a surgery date, MRI suggests a rotator cuff tear again and he needs exploratory done. Any suggestions on keeping it mobilized other than the sling while he sleeps?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

Not sure if this will work but an idea I came up with would be to pad his upper arm and shoulder, then use some sort of strong tape to tape his arm into a comfortable position to his body that he can sleep in. Probably the best way for him to sleep would be elevated on his back where he would not be rolling onto that side during the night.

Best of luck!

Lindaru

Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

he must have some pretty significant tearing in there for this to keep dislocating like it has been(or overly stretched ligamnets from constant dislocation). i was actually going to suggest pretty much what linda stated above. he is going to simply have to use something along the lines of a pillow and duct tape in order to actually keep this in place if the immobilizer is not able to keep it in place alone. believe me, i worked EMS for many years and we used duct tape in alot of emergency medical type situations all the time. it just "holds' really well and has alot of strength to it. i was also going to possibly suggest that maybe one of his docs here,either his primary or the surgeon could Rx some type of muscle relaxent like valium maybe just to keep 'him' in one place and calm down the RLS as well. this is just making matters worse for him in alot of ways as i am sure you can see for yourself. valium would be a good choice to help him with what he needs the most right now,at least til he can resolve this with a surgery. he should also have some level of steriod right now as well just to get that constant inflammation down too. i would make an appt with his primary and see what he or she can do for him while he is waiting for that surgery.

unfortunetly your hubby is alot like mine,a flip flopper while sleeping and also jerking while sleeping too. i do know just how really violent my hubby can get during sleep so i can only imagine how bad this nightime movement is affecting your hubbys shoulder too. this may be a bit uncomfortable for your hubby but trying to duct tape his shoulder area and the sling together somehow(perhaps with some very small pillows or even towels just tucked under the sling like on his chest side?) would possibly help with keeping it better immobilized. your just going to have to try different ways here til you find a good posistion of comfort for him and can still maintain immobilization too. he just cannot keep this up of he will casue more damage which will affect his surgery and how much overall repair will be needed,but i am sure you already know that.

just a suggestion here for ya since there is someone else on these boards who went thru her rotator cuff repair the same time i did,but she was a huge flip flopper too and had alot of problems at night as well. her arm would end up all over the place just like your hubbys does. if you go to the bone disorders board just down below here and post a thread to 'sammy",or just pop into the thread that we have there called marcia feelbad something or other(cannot remeber the exact wording but you will know it when you see it) and just address this to her,maybe she can give you some much better ideas as to what really helped her the most. belive me,she did and still does have this very same problem and was dealing with pre op and post op "nighttime' over movements too. i KNOW she will be able to relate to your situation. she is a really great caring person and i know she would be willing to at least try and offer you up some of her methods of dealing with this issue. but i would most definitely see at least his primary to just get help here til that surgery date can happen. this IS making things much worse in many ways and just has to stop ya know? hopefully he will be able to get this surgery done soon. hang in there hon, keep me posted too. **

Closed Thread