It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Need exercises post surgery, Gastroc Recession

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
    gabbyk
    (female)

gabbyk HB User
    Need exercises post surgery, Gastroc Recession

Does anyone know what exercises I can be doing for post surgery Gastroc Recession?

Tendon/muscle release in the back of my leg due to heel spurs, pain and plantar fatiatis

Im 2 weeks post op, and am having some heel pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
    cj1986
    (female)

cj1986 HB User
    Re: Need exercises post surgery, Gastroc Recession

Ah... great timing. I've been looking for someone that had this procedure done, by itself without the reconstructions. My doctor suggested a gastroc release (have flat feet, torn arch, heel pain, etc) and I am scheduled for one in august. I can't seem to find too much info except for medical journals and stuff. I'd love to hear any and all information about yours. He basically just said he'll make a small incision, and cut the sheath around the muscle. 10 days in a surgical splint, 10-14 more in a boot, and then pt following it. We're/Are you on crutches? How's the pain? How much time off from work? And if you have any idea of the cost, as I havent asked the surgeon yet? I wouldn't wish anyone had surgery, but would love it if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience. And I would also be interested in exercises people did after surgery and how long they were in physical therapy.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
    TailWagger
    (female)

TailWagger HB User
    Re: Need exercises post surgery, Gastroc Recession

I had my gastroc on 7/1. I'm now at 3.5 weeks - still in the boot. During this third week, I'm supposed to take the boot off 3-4 times a day and just flex the foot back and forth, side to side, make circles, etc. I'm supposed to do the ABCs with my foot. At week four, I can walk around the house in a firm tennis shoe, adding a little more time each day, as tolerated, until I'm out of the boot. The doctor said incision pain is normal, feeling stiff is normal, but true pain is not normal and I should call if I feel any. At six weeks I can start doing any other exercises I want to. Because I also had a procedure done on my Achilles I plan to do some specific exercises I've found. I'm not sure if he plans to give me anything more at my next appointment which is at eight weeks.

Closed Thread