It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Do I tell my dentist I was bulimic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
    Godstar
    (female)

Godstar HB User
    Unhappy Do I tell my dentist I was bulimic?

Hi, I have been bulimic for many years and I have also been a little nervous to go to the dentist because I don't want to tell him why my teeth are so bad. Should I tell him so he can know how to treat the situation better? Must he keep it confidential? also, my mom uses this same dentist so I don't want him to slip up. PS-I am dealing with my issue. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Do I tell my dentist I was bulimic?

Yes, you need to tell him. And while they are under the same requirements as any doctor or other medical facility with regard to privacy, I'd just mention to him that you want to keep it between the two of you.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Godstar

Good for you. I applaud you for all of your hard work. Be up front with the dentist, it will answer questions that he may have had after looking at your teeth. Even though he has an obligation to keep your dental health history confidential, it would be wise to impress upon this dentist that you wish to keep your past medical problems between you and your health and dental providers.

Brenda

Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Another reason to tell him is that he will know to look for more wear and cavities at the back of your teeth. The stomach acid from vomiting comes form the back of your mouth and so you get really bad problems on the backsides of the teeth.

But you know what...this is such a noticeable problem that I bet your dentist will know even if you don't tell him, so if you tell him first and ask for confidentiality, he'll figure it out and tell your mom.

Jenny(good work on working on it!)

Closed Thread