It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• low white blood cell count

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
    mo0622
    (female)

mo0622 HB User
    low white blood cell count

My husband recently had a physical, and his bloodwork indicated that his white blood cell count was low. He fasted before the physical (only water after 9pm the day before). Now he is supposed to go back in 3-4 weeks and have the white blood cell count done again without fasting. Everything else was well within the normal ranges, other than his cholesterol and triglycerides, which are high (280 and 281). What are some things that could cause the low white blood cell count. I don't know the exact count, just that it was low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
    Ayvah2
    (female)

Ayvah2 HB User
    Re: low white blood cell count

some medications can account for that, is he taking anything?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
    mo0622
    (female)

mo0622 HB User

The only things he takes are a multivitamin and occasionally glucosamine/chondroitin (hope I spelled that right).

Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
    Shamsam
    (female)

Shamsam HB User

I had that same thing few years ago and it really scared me at first to hear it but the doctor said there's nothing to worry. If your man has the same thing that I had it's called leukopenia. Usually its just temporally decrease in white cells.

The reason for it wasn't sure in my case but according to doc can be caused by a lot of things - the most common is that you had an infection (influenza, flu, virus in your system without symptoms..etc) without you realizing it and your body had fought against it recently and that's the reason for "low supply of white cells".

Sure there are many other reasons, but before you freak out (and start googling things) just breathe. Most cases it's really harmless

Closed Thread