It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• impetigo desperate help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
    mrman1111
    (male)

mrman1111 HB User
    Question impetigo desperate help

At the end of May last year I had a little crusty spot in between my eyebrows. I picked at it, not knowing what it was. By mid-June it had spread to all up and down my cheeks and above my lip. I went to the derm and he said it was just dry skin. I went back towards the end of July at the height of its severity and the new Derm said it was impetigo. He gave me some (I know this isnt spelled right) muproxin, and after about 5 days it pretty much went away.

I started Accutane Aug 11th, and it almost immediately came back. After dealing with a mounting break out, the breakout, and then coming off the breakout in the exact same fashion every month, I asked for a new ointment in November. Now I have been using (once again spelling) gentamicin sulfate. But with the same effect, theres never really a time there is not some impetigo-caused noticeable marking on my cheeks or above my lips.

The Derm said it was coincidence that I was exposed to impetigo and then went on Accutane, and because Accutane dries out your skin he kind of eluded that I would have to deal with it the whole time. I have not taken Accutane since Dec 20th, and am getting a impetigo breakout right now.

Is the Accutane still in my system drying out my skin? Am I going to have to deal with constant breakouts my whole life? How can I get them to stop, as they are so noticeable...

Note, with the docs approval, I have almost been constantly using one of the two ointments, at least twice a day and 3 times during the breakout, and up my nose as he said thats where the drainage is. The breakouts seem to be concentrated above my lip though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: impetigo desperate help

Yes, accutane will still be drying your skin.

Try washing your hands and face with Hibiclens twice a day, this will kill the bacteria that cause impitigo in about 30 seconds, and supress them for 12 hours.

Rub Neosporin ointment into any infected spots. For any bad outbreaks, you will need oral antibiotics

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
    mrman1111
    (male)

mrman1111 HB User

How long till Accutane stops drying it out/gets out of my system?

Should I just continously be using one of the ointments, or use neosporin, or both?

Will I be dealing with this for life?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

It takes a few months for Accutane to get out of your system, maybe as long as 6.

I would say use the Hibiclens twice a day for a few months, to supress the bacteria that cause the infection, only use the ointments on infected patches until they are fully healed.

Wet your hands and face, lather up the Hibiclens and wash for 60 seconds, then rinse. Doing this twice a day should be a big help.

Using a germicidal soap (such as Safeguard or Dial) in the shower on your body can help remove pockets of staph that have collonised there (especialy the armpits, groin and butt crack), and smearing some Neosporin ointment up the nose every day helps supress staph in there.

If your skin is dry/cracked, applying a bland moisturiser such as Olay Sensetive would help

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 01-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Closed Thread