It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Life after a broken knee cap??? Please HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
    SwingHer
    (female)

SwingHer HB User
    Question Life after a broken knee cap??? Please HELP!

I broke my knee cap downhill skiing on January 10th of 2011, I took a stupid risk making a run down a hill I knew to be icy and ended up hitting a tree with my knee cap. After breaking the knee cap I had surgery on it in Berlin, Wisconsin where they put in two pins and wrapped it in wire. Fast forward ahead to now (roughly 9 weeks later) and I am able to completely bend my knee again. I have gone roughly two weeks without wearing the brace or any other support device.

Heres the problem:

My doctor isn't hopeful that I will return to my normal activities and he doesn't have me enrolled in any type of phsyical therapy. I hope to return to playing full contact sports again. IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
    Re: Life after a broken knee cap??? Please HELP!

I find it odd your doctor does not have you lined up to have any Phsyical Therapy. I would find out why he has not as you sure do need to go..I'm really not sure what you will be able to do.but I'm sure therapy would be a plus for your recovery

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

What kind of knee exercises are you currently doing? Power walks? Stepper? Treadmill? Stationary or actual bicycle? Are knee bends permitted?

What are your plans for exercise to rehab your knee? Further medical help/rehab or do you plan to slowly re-develop your knee muscles?

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My husband broke his one time and had no problem getting back to his normal activities. Some doctors are more conservative than others. Did he say why exactly?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
    SwingHer
    (female)

SwingHer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    What kind of knee exercises are you currently doing? Power walks? Stepper? Treadmill? Stationary or actual bicycle? Are knee bends permitted?

What are your plans for exercise to rehab your knee? Further medical help/rehab or do you plan to slowly re-develop your knee muscles?
    I am supposed to slowly resume normal activities and rebuild the muscles through daily activity. My doctor said that I did not lose much muscle during the six week imobilization period.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
    SwingHer
    (female)

SwingHer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    My husband broke his one time and had no problem getting back to his normal activities. Some doctors are more conservative than others. Did he say why exactly?
    He says that he is unsure that my knee will hold up to the constant direct hits that I take in Roller Derby & pole bending & barrel racing. Due to the fact that they had to wrap the pins with wire, and the wire is known to cause pain when directly impacted.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh well, I can understand that. Would a brace on it help?

Closed Thread