It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Vitamin B12 & Blood Levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
    azskies
    (female)

azskies HB User
    Question Vitamin B12 & Blood Levels

Hi! I'm new to this site & looking desperately for answers to a few questions & direction on what to do next. I'll try to be as brief as I possibly can...

After experiencing neurological symptoms of various kinds, I was tested for B12 Deficiency-my level was 255, which led to a diagnois. I was prescribed injections & took them from Jan-Nov of 2010. I didn't feel significant improvement, so I didn't follow up w/ my Dr. when my prescription ran out. My symptoms have persisted...some have gotten worse, I've developed new ones, & overall, I feel worse than I did last year. I returned to my Dr. on July 20, 2011, for these reasons. He gently scolded me for discontinuing my injections & stressed the need to be on supplemental treatment for the rest of my life. He gave me an injection & again wrote a Rx. Apprx 10 mins later, my blood was drawn for a CBC & a current B12 level.

My B12 level came back at >2000!! Needless to say, I was not only shocked, but puzzled!

I immediately questioned my Dr. about the HIGH level. He was not concerned. He answered, "No" to my inquiry about the elevated level perhaps being a result of the injection being given 10 mins prior to my blood draw. He added, "the high level is a result of your liver storing the B12 from your past injections, and is therefore 'normal'." I reminded him that my last injection was nearly 9mos ago. He insisted the same & dismissed my concerns. I just followed up to request my B12 level be retested for accuracy, even though I got an injection 12 days ago. While he insisted my level is 'normal' & felt it was unnecessary, he did reluctantly agree to write an order for the retest.

However, my same questions remain:

1) Could my high level be a result of the injection being given 10 mins prior to my blood being drawn?

2) Could my level still be reading >2000 when my last shot was taken Nov 2010?

3) Why would I feel worse & not better if my B12 level is elevated? (The level doesnt reflect my symptoms)

4) What type of Dr should I see regarding this matter if it merits attention & follow up??

From my research, it appears my concerns are valid, because, if the elevated level is not a result of the Injections, then only 3 other possible reasons remain for high B12 level... & they are all very serious illnesses/diseases. For this reason, my concerns are escalating.

Please help, I feel desperate! Any advice or direction is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread