It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Soft painful lumps under skin

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Gallifrey Girl
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Serenity Valley
Posts: 4
Gallifrey Girl HB User
Soft painful lumps under skin

Hi, Health Boards. I'm a little freaked and could use some insight.

I'm a college student. Recently, I noticed a soft, tender lump on my leg, right over the shin bone. When I run my fingers over it, it hurts just like a bruise would, but there is no discoloration of the skin and I haven't had an injury there. I wasn't too worried about it until tonight, when I found an almost identical lump on my forearm. This one is slightly more painful (only when I touch it.) Both are soft but not moveable.

The fact that I have two unexplained lumps at the same time is what perturbs me. I know cancer is unlikely, but my mother did have breast cancer at a young age, so I tend to worry. Anyone have any clue what the hell this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 53
Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User
Re: Soft painful lumps under skin

The lumps could be cysts. I have several on my arms. Also, I have some on my thighs which the dr. Called fatty lipomas. You should have it checked out just to be sure

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
ladybud's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,039
ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Soft painful lumps under skin

I would wonder how you are feeling in general. Any other symptoms at all? Lipomas are benign fatty growths, but they are not usually tender. Tender soft or firm lumps on the shins can be a thing called erythema nodosum, caused by a variety of things. On the shin and forearm could be inflammatory nodules associated with certain types of arthritis. Any joint pains? I would first see your PCP, and if no ideas, see a rheumatologist or dermatologist or both, as those 2 Dr's will have seen both inflammatory nodules and erythema nodosum before, but possibly not your PCP. This does not sound like cancer.

Closed Thread

bump, cancer, lump, painful, unexplained

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!