It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Pain in arm after IV

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
    rainedbows
    (female)

rainedbows HB User
    Pain in arm after IV

I got my wisdom teeth taken out just a week ago. The student doctor was trying to put in the IV in my arm (above my elbow) and was trying to find the vein it went it. I felt a horrible pain shoot from where he was trying to put it in and travel through down to my whole hand. It almost felt like an electric shock. I know it wasn't, but I can't describe it any better.

It still hurts to this day. I was picking up laundry from the floor and I can feel it all over again and it takes a bit to shake the pain off. Even when I open a car door or straighten or bend that arm just right, it feels just as strong as when it initially happened and the pain occurs several times throughout the day, especially now that I'm becoming more active again after the surgery.

Is this common? I've had IVs before, but never in that area. Does this go away over time? I'm concerned because the pain is as sharp as it was that day, but at the same time it has only been a week.

Thank you for all your answers and suggestions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
    Re: Pain in arm after IV

Sounds like they hit a nerve... nerves can heal but it's pretty slow. If you're concerned, you might want to see your doctor.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: Pain in arm after IV

I always have problems after getting an IV. The pain and bruising usually a lasts a month at least. Some med people are really good at placement of IVs with minimum discomfort to the patient while majority of them totally suck at it. Unfortunately, you might have to deal with it for a while. But definitely if it gets worse and doesn't feel like its getting better then do call the doctor.

Closed Thread

Tags
    arm, pain