It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Hygiene Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
    b1rd
    (male)

b1rd HB User
    Hygiene Question

First, I wanted to hello to this forum, as this is my first post. I'm surprise that I have not come across this forum much sooner, as this is exactly what I've been looking for and it would have been of great use in the past.

My question is actually simple to some, but I've been wondering this for a long time, and it has to do with simple hygiene.

Hand washing is one of the more important precautions to prevent illness. I have come to learn that using anti-bacterial soaps might not really be of much help, unless the soap remains on the hands for something like 20 seconds. I'm a frequent hand washer, but not for 20 seconds each time. I have not really followed-up on this, so my apologies if I am incorrect. I do still use it though.

My question: (If I can get it to make sense)

Let's say that my hands have become contaminated by a virus or by bacteria. Let's say that I wash them well, however I still have a small amount of that same germ still remaining on my hands, then subsequently introduce them to my mouth.

Using the above scenario, let's say that I wash them, but not as well and I have even more of the germs which will be introduced to my mouth.

What I'm trying to determine is will a smaller amount of the same germ lesson the chances of becoming ill? In-other-words, can the body fight off a smaller amount, or is it more of once you're exposed, your exposed? I would assume it would make a difference. IE: Less offers a better chance of not becoming ill, but perhaps this can be either confirmed or disputed by somebody who knows.

Thanks for taking the time to review my question, and thanks for this wealth of information!

b1rd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Hygiene Question

Hi,

Welcome to HealthBoards and every good wish to you.
    I feel sure you will get reply's shortly so keep checking and good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
    esker
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

To answer your question, yes, a smaller amount of germs lessens your chances of becoming infected. Your body can fight off a smaller amount.

The purpose of hand washing is to remove the germs from the hands, not to kill them. Antibiotic hand washes are needlessly releasing antiobiotics into the environment and no one knows what effect this will have in the long term.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
    b1rd
    (male)

b1rd HB User

Thanks for the prompt response.

Actually, I have been reading about the downside of using these types of cleaners, as there seems to be evidence for some concern, especially if the product's active ingredient is Triclosan.

This is actually part of the reason I was looking into this.

Thanks again,
    b1rd

Closed Thread