It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

• Resisting dual hip abduction while sitting results in ~L5, L4 cracking - Why?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
    Filonowst
    (male)

Filonowst HB User
    Resisting dual hip abduction while sitting results in ~L5, L4 cracking - Why?

Hello and thanks for reading. I have been trying to understand this for some time and I would appreciate anyone's insight.

About 7 years ago I found that while sitting, especially in a slightly slouched position so the lumbar is slightly rounded, if I flexed thigh and glute muscles as if abducting both hips, while resisting the knees from actually moving away from each other by pressing the outer legs into a rigid structure so no leg movement occurs, I would get one or two loud lumbar cracks very low in the back, feeling like L5 and sometimes L4. Another way to envision the action would be to picture sitting at a desk that has vertical wood walls on each side of where your legs go when your chair is pushed in, spreading your knees, moving them outwards until they touch these walls, and then flexing thighs and gluteus mediuses, trying to pull the knees further outwards, pushing them into the walls.

After doing this for years, I can feel when my lower back is in need of a pop and doing so provides me with a great deal of relief in the lumbar. I feel that in addition to vinyasa yoga which provides much needed muscle relief and strengthening, the ways I've learned to gently crack my own back, including the lumbar trick above, have allowed me to completely eliminate my back pain for 6 years and be freed from the need for a chiropractic regime.

I would really like to understand why this leg action cause the lumbar to crack. My suspicion is that it causes the iliums to rotate slightly towards the pubic bone, away from the sacrum causing nutation of the sacrum which results in the L5 hinging open towards the abdomen, but I'm not sure. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Filonowst; 02-26-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    lumbar, pelvis, sacrum, si joint