It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

• After C2-C7 Fusion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 AM   #1
    Cherie3220
    (female)

Cherie3220 HB User
    After C2-C7 Fusion

I sustained a C2 spinal cord injury as the result of a face-plant fall. As a result, I needed two titanium bars and seven screws to fuse C2-C7. Because of some unique vascular, they had to go in from the back. It has been three years and I seem to have an ever-growing protrusion at the spine just below my shoulder blades. It is quite prominent to the touch and in appearance.

Is this usual? Should I be concerned I have a hardware failure of some sort, or something which might require fixing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: After C2-C7 Fusion

Welcome to the board. A fusion should not change the shape of your back. The protrusion sounds like it shouldn't be there. You might want to make an appointment with the surgeon to see what is going on.

I doubt this is an issue with hardware. It is fairly rare to have hardware failure. When it does occur, it is usually a pedicle screw that breaks, and this isn't felt on the surface. Usually a MRI has to be done to detect it.

Does this cause pain?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
    Cherie3220
    (female)

Cherie3220 HB User
    Re: After C2-C7 Fusion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. A fusion should not change the shape of your back. The protrusion sounds like it shouldn't be there. You might want to make an appointment with the surgeon to see what is going on.

I doubt this is an issue with hardware. It is fairly rare to have hardware failure. When it does occur, it is usually a pedicle screw that breaks, and this isn't felt on the surface. Usually a MRI has to be done to detect it.

Does this cause pain?
    No pain. It is quite pointed though and sticks out about a quarter to a half inch. I have made an appointment with the surgeon. But I have EHLERS Danlos with a 12-1/2 minute bleed time and five aneurysms so I don't want to ignore anything.

Reply Reply