It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

• 9yo with ruptured ACL

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-18-2021, 03:30 AM   #1
    vectis
    (male)

vectis HB User
    9yo with ruptured ACL

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from my learned friends here. I have a 9yo girl with a badly ruptured ACL. It was as a result of a skateboarding accident about 21 days ago. The knee still has swelling as a result of blood still around the ligaments.

The girl is very agile and energentic, trying to get her to rest the knee is nigh on impossible. We are keeping off doing anything at the moment until the blood/swelling has reduced down.

Drilling for repair is impossible due to the still active growth plates, probably still 5-6 years to go.

Any advice? Ligament repair with tying around the bones? Anyone with experience of that?

The girl is very anxious to return to skateboarding (competition level), so advice to give up skateboarding ambitions are receiving a lot of push back. I am concerned about possible miniscus damage due to difficulty in getting her to rest the knee.

Also, any advice on braces? Functional? Getting a lot of conflicting opinions and studies on their effectiveness.

Mat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply