It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

• mallet finger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
    poppy tree
    (female)

poppy tree HB User
    Smile mallet finger

I ruptured the tendon in the tip of my middle finger and the Doctor called it a mallet finger injury. I did exactly as I was told. I wore a splint on it for 12 weeks (longer than most have to) and after this I wore it at night for 4 weeks. After this, he had me wear a murphy ring on it for 4 weeks to help the tendon in the bottom part of the finger. Now, 20 weeks later, the tip of my finger is still at a 35 degree bend, which he says won't get any better. He said he could put a screw in it, but that it would be permanently straight. The practice I am going to is supposed to be top notch, but I still feel let down, and don't know what to do. The doctor didn't really advise me of either way. I would like to hear from somesone who has had a screw put in a mallet finger injury and tell me if it is something that they were glad they had done. Or should I seek another opinion from another doctor? I feel like if I do, they will think I'm crazy since I had supposedly already been to the "best around".

Thanks
    Poppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
    james079
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
    Re: mallet finger

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poppy tree View Post
    I ruptured the tendon in the tip of my middle finger and the Doctor called it a mallet finger injury. I did exactly as I was told. I wore a splint on it for 12 weeks (longer than most have to) and after this I wore it at night for 4 weeks. After this, he had me wear a murphy ring on it for 4 weeks to help the tendon in the bottom part of the finger. Now, 20 weeks later, the tip of my finger is still at a 35 degree bend, which he says won't get any better. He said he could put a screw in it, but that it would be permanently straight. The practice I am going to is supposed to be top notch, but I still feel let down, and don't know what to do. The doctor didn't really advise me of either way. I would like to hear from somesone who has had a screw put in a mallet finger injury and tell me if it is something that they were glad they had done. Or should I seek another opinion from another doctor? I feel like if I do, they will think I'm crazy since I had supposedly already been to the "best around".

Thanks
    Poppy
    Your doctor treated you exactly what he should have done. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. That part of the tendon has a poor blood supply and many do not heal well. Some doctors advocate early surgery but that has it's own dangers, infection sometimes, not healing, same as you, and at times getting the tendon exact enough so the joint is perfectly aligned.
    I suppose a lot depends on your work or hobbies as to whether you would prefer a straight finger or a flexed one. If a srew or pin was inserted you could choose the degree of flexion you prefer.
    James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
    poppy tree (05-02-2011)
    Closed Thread