It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

Calcaneus fracture- positive story

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
matt028
(male)

matt028 HB User
Calcaneus fracture- positive story

So, I read a thread a few months ago that mentioned most of the posts on these boards are written by individuals who had terrible breaks and/or very long recovery periods. And that most people who had this injury and recovered well/quickly don't take the time to post their experiences because they were able to put their injury behind them. So I'm posting to offer a little bit of hope for those who have recently fractured their calcaneus and are reading these threads. (I know they scared the hell out of me)

About 3 months ago I fell off a roof while working and fractured my left calcaneus in 3 places. The pieces of my heel stayed in position and my subtalar joint was off just slightly. The orthopedic surgeon was pushing hard for surgery but I felt that my body could heal the fractures. So, I went and saw a podiatrist and he recommended I try and let the fracture heal on its own. I opted out of surgery and now 3 months later the doctor said the fractures have healed and I've begun walking in a regular shoe. I can walk or stand on concrete for about an hour or so and then my Achilles tendon and ankle start to hurt but doctor said this is most likely just atrophy from not using the muscles. Everyday it gets better and I've already gone out and played a round of golf (with a cart).

Now I'm not saying this isn't a serious injury. I played hockey competitively for 19 years had countless injuries, and this was by far the most painful and longest lasting injury I have ever sustained. But if you are young, your injury isn't too severe, and you can stay off your foot for a good three months, there is hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to matt028 For This Useful Post:
Jokolennono (05-31-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
jess032
(female)

jess032 HB User
Re: Calcaneus fracture- positive story

Thank you for that. Some posts are really depressing when you have just experienced this injury

Old 12-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
montycarlobabe
(female)

montycarlobabe HB User
Talking Re: Calcaneus fracture- positive story

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt028 View Post
So, I read a thread a few months ago that mentioned most of the posts on these boards are written by individuals who had terrible breaks and/or very long recovery periods. And that most people who had this injury and recovered well/quickly don't take the time to post their experiences because they were able to put their injury behind them. So I'm posting to offer a little bit of hope for those who have recently fractured their calcaneus and are reading these threads. (I know they scared the hell out of me)

About 3 months ago I fell off a roof while working and fractured my left calcaneus in 3 places. The pieces of my heel stayed in position and my subtalar joint was off just slightly. The orthopedic surgeon was pushing hard for surgery but I felt that my body could heal the fractures. So, I went and saw a podiatrist and he recommended I try and let the fracture heal on its own. I opted out of surgery and now 3 months later the doctor said the fractures have healed and I've begun walking in a regular shoe. I can walk or stand on concrete for about an hour or so and then my Achilles tendon and ankle start to hurt but doctor said this is most likely just atrophy from not using the muscles. Everyday it gets better and I've already gone out and played a round of golf (with a cart).

Now I'm not saying this isn't a serious injury. I played hockey competitively for 19 years had countless injuries, and this was by far the most painful and longest lasting injury I have ever sustained. But if you are young, your injury isn't too severe, and you can stay off your foot for a good three months, there is hope.

Thank you matt028 for this positive story. I know this is an old post, but I have also read some of the depressing stories of people who have had this injury, so I had to tell a bit of my story add some positivity myself.

I am now suffering a similar injury myself that was a result of a car accident that happened about 3 mos ago. My accident was 9/17/2014 and had surgery on 9/30/14 with 4 screws and a plate. I fell asleep behind the wheel and hit a rock wall at about 50-60 mph. Because I could not work, I had to move out of my apartment and live with my mom again. I am SO lucky to be alive.

The doctor said I would be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks, but I was only 8wks. When I got my full release letter to go back to work I was jumping for joy! What a milestone!
I am going back to work after xmas on 12/30/14. I had to wait a few weeks to build my affected leg back up. I work in security and my job involves a lot of walking, but they say they will work with me to get me an easy area so I won't be walking so much. If I take a lot of breaks and stand rather than walk I think I will be fine.

I have been in a lot of pain everyday however I exercise my ankle about 20 minutes a day, then I do a regular workout for 45 minutes 3x a week which helps SO much. I am starting to regain some of the strength that I once had in my ankle. I've been going for walks to test the new foot out and can walk for about 30 minutes straight, then start to feel a bit of pain. However after an hour straight then I start to limp. I don't use a boot, cane or anything to help with walking. A few weeks ago I always walked with a limp; but because I have been pushing myself with the exercises (but not too hard) I can walk like before, but a bit slower.

I can walk for about 10 mins straight (not bad for someone who had surgery about 3 mos ago) without having to stop.
My injury is getting better slowly everyday. Staying motivated and pushing yourself during exercise is the key, and it is rewarding. Since I am able to do so much walking now my hard work is paying off. Again things are slowly starting to come together and I am starting to get my life back and get ME back. All I can say is hang in there its rough but its not forever.

Last edited by montycarlobabe; 12-24-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Sjnevard
(female)

Sjnevard HB User

Hi,

I'm new to the board - this is my first post! I'm exactly the same Matt, I am a postive story (touch wood) and I thought I would take the time to come back and post on here. I haven't read messages on this board since I was in hospital and I felt sick at the time reading them, I felt so depressed thinking about the future. That was 11 months ago!

Ok so a quick summary: my accident was 01/02/2014 (that's Feb for me) and I crushed (lots of tiny pieces, no small fractures) BOTH heels and fractured my T12 in my back as a compression fracture.

The 2 weeks after that were hellish waiting for the surgery (Leeds General Infirmary in UK, great surgeon as well, Dr Tellisi) reading all the depressing posts on boards! I was the worst case - so much worse than any I had read on here so was dreading the future basically.

I had the surgery, 10+ pins in each, but my right heel has 2 plates. The joint in my left was more badly injured though which is more significant than the hardware. Anyway, I was 12 weeks non-weight bearing after that. Then I started physio very very slowly - even standing on my feet at first was a miracle!

I took no painkillers whatsoever after my month in hospital (I was on morphine a lot and took x2 tramadol 4 times a day) and physio was gradually increased to about 10 mins a day... half an hour a day... a month later I was used to walking for about an hour tops a day.

At that point I was really worried I would be like that for the rest of my life, being in pain after an hour of walking! It was slow going, definitely. But it got better. I wrote in a journal the whole time so I could look back on my improvements and they were there, however minor at first!

Anyway, I am still doing physio 11 months later (the health system in the UK is great so I get it for free otherwise I wouldn't be!) my physio is basically massages now though so don't worry. My big toe on my left foot is still a bit numb and very stiff, but that's because I had some nerve damage after the operation/numbness and my main tendon is very tender/has some tissue damage as to be expected really. My physio is working on it!

I walk for hours on end everyday now, I can go into university, into town, into the city, shopping centres, on short walks, go to the gym, go out in the evenings for a few hours. I don't feel as if things that 'normal' people can do are out of my reach. Sure, I can't run now and I can't do intense sports (I was never sporty before anyway). But that doesn't mean to say I can't in the future...

My advice is not to give up, don't think too much about the future because I don't or I would worry myself to death! I've come so far and never dreamt I would be how I am now! I don't limp, I wear decent shoes but don't get upset that I can't wear heels now, I don't cry about sports. Sure I am not perfect, I have good days and bad days. My joints are stiff, they don't have amazing movement, they will probably be in a state in 10, 20, 30, 40 years down the line. It is so important doing stretches everyday. Right now I am just grateful and hope that I continue to improve... who knows?

Hope this has helped! I have finally decided to talk about it online after 11 months since the accident, if you have questions I'm happy to answer, I'm thinking of doing a very simply blog purely to do some posts about the experience and some of my journal entries from my first few months? Depends if it would help anyone or not. Not sure why I have in hiding before now because I know how I felt when I was lying in that hospital bed, scared to death.

Sarah

PS sorry for how long this message is, once I started I couldn't stop! Think I'll copy and paste it in some other threads.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Wendy1949
(female)

Wendy1949 HB UserWendy1949 HB User

Hi, Sjnevard. Mr Tellisi did my calceneus op at the LGI in May. I'm adjusting to a long recovery period. Many thanks for your encouraging story

Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Irina2
(female)

Irina2 HB User

Hi,

This is my first post and thank you all for some good news. Like some of you said, reading the old posts is quite depressing.
I am 32 and broke my heel while rock climbing 3 weeks ago, I underwent surgery (metal plate and screws). My doctor said I will be non weight bearing for 12 weeks. I have an appointment at 6 weeks when I will also have an X-ray, hope that he will change his mind and I start to WB sooner. In the meantime, I do the stretches and I see some progress each day.
I am a really active person, I run, rock climb and mountaineer. I am worried about the recovery outcome, wondering if I'll ever be able to return to my hobbies and if so, whether I'll have any pain or limited mobility.
It is so nice to hear some positive news.
May all of us have faith and patience, things will get better.

Reply Reply