It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

• upcoming surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
    tatterededge
    (female)

tatterededge HB User
    upcoming surgery

Hi! I am looking for some feedback about the surgery I am going to have soon.

I am having arthroscopic surgery to remove my pisiform and clean up any damage there and then either having my ulna shortened or the radius lengthened. (The surgeon will decide once he has a look.)

My question is, for those of you who have had this type of surgery using a nerve block, what was that like? I am REALLY concerned about being aware while they are cutting my bones and I don't tend to freeze well. I have had some traumatic surgery experiences because of this and would really prefer to have a general. I am planning to talk to the anethetist about it, but would like to hear from some of you who've been there.

What was your level of awareness during surgery? Did you feel any pain? How do they do the nerve block? Did the nerve block hurt? Would you do it if you had a do-over or would you have a general?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
    marlin33
    (male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User
    Re: upcoming surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tatterededge View Post
    Hi! I am looking for some feedback about the surgery I am going to have soon.

I am having arthroscopic surgery to remove my pisiform and clean up any damage there and then either having my ulna shortened or the radius lengthened. (The surgeon will decide once he has a look.)

My question is, for those of you who have had this type of surgery using a nerve block, what was that like? I am REALLY concerned about being aware while they are cutting my bones and I don't tend to freeze well. I have had some traumatic surgery experiences because of this and would really prefer to have a general. I am planning to talk to the anethetist about it, but would like to hear from some of you who've been there.

What was your level of awareness during surgery? Did you feel any pain? How do they do the nerve block? Did the nerve block hurt? Would you do it if you had a do-over or would you have a general?

Thanks!
    Id imagine it be general or your choice.
    TMJ

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
    tatterededge
    (female)

tatterededge HB User

Not really. The surgeon was pushing for the nerve block. I am going to try and convince them otherwise, but there's no telling what the end result will be. They don't like to deviate from what they they usually do, because they always think they know best. That's not always the case.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
    marlin33
    (male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tatterededge View Post
    Not really. The surgeon was pushing for the nerve block. I am going to try and convince them otherwise, but there's no telling what the end result will be. They don't like to deviate from what they they usually do, because they always think they know best. That's not always the case.
    Id get a second or third opinon then, remember its your body and money.
    TMJ

Old 09-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
    hurtzdonut
    Inactive
    (male)

hurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB User

I'm the opposite...I'd rather be awake for surgery. The anesthesiologist should be able to offer you a mild sedative that will alleviate any anxiety you're feeling. The nerve block will be sufficient for deadening the physical pain of surgery. Like marlin33 said, it's your body and money. A nerve block with a mild sedative for anxiety will do the trick.

Closed Thread