It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• osteopenia - T-scores lower, looking for SUPPLEMENTS

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
    patriciamw
    (female)

patriciamw HB User
    Question osteopenia - T-scores lower, looking for SUPPLEMENTS

Hello. I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 1998 (at age 48) with T-scores of -1.46 hips, -1.58 neck.

Back just in 2014, still was fairly okay (without 8 yrs of Evista since 2009) at around -1.6 hips, -1.4 neck.

Doctors office just called alarmed about my hips going to -2.0 and they did not tell me the neck score yet. Want me in to talk about my "options."

I have been on natural compound Hormone Replacement therapy with a naturopath since about 2009.

I've rarely taken other supplements (calcium etc) but that is what I will do now considering how often ineffective, sometimes side effects and usually more harm than good coming from meds.

I have narrowed my research down to these supplements:

Strontium osteo complex powder,
    Bone Support;
    Bonexim and
    Grow Bone.

Should I be considering others with a proven track record from DEXA scans? Too many reviews are just "I feel stronger," and that doesn't cut it for me.

Has anyone used something I've listed or anything else, who could report on actual scan results over a period of time?

Much gratitude for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: osteopenia - T-scores lower, looking for SUPPLEMENTS

Increasing bone density doesn't necessarily mean that your bones will get stronger. Some people have high bone density with low bone strength while others have low bone density with strong bones. It's not so much the density as it is the way your bones are constructed. The only way you would know for sure if you have a problem is if you break a bone, but even strong bones can be broken if one falls a certain way.

The best thing one can do is live a healthy lifestyle with a good diet and careful weight-bearing exercise. one of the most important things you can do to prevent broken bones is to prevent falls.

Also, dairy is not a good idea for building bones. Have you ever seen a dairy product in your local supermarket that has a label stating, "helps build strong bones" ? No, because the FDA won't allow it as dairy has never been proven to help build strong bones. Your money will be better spent on dark leafy greens that are rich in calcium, such as Kale, Spinach, Bok Choy, Romaine lettuce etc.

Try to eat a plant-based alkaline diet. In other words, go easy on animal protein and processed foods that are acidic.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
    jack890667
    Inactive
    (male)

jack890667 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patriciamw View Post
    I have been on natural compound Hormone Replacement therapy with a naturopath since about 2009.

While it may sound counterintuitive, "natural" and "safe" are not interchangeable. Assuming your hormone replacement therapy is estrogen-based, there have been several studies showing estrogen +/- progesterone is helpful in relation to bone density, but carries significant risks. These risks include increased breast and ovarian cancer, increased risk of blood clots and stroke, and increased risk of gallbladder disease. The Women's Health Initiative Study was actually cut short due to these risk factors.

Strontium is an antiresorptive medication just like the bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Actonel, reclast) and Prolia. It will carry the same side effects, but research has shown that it is less effective in increasing bone density and decreasing fractures.

I would ask your medical provider not just your T-score, but your FRAX score, which is far more comprehensive at predicting fracture than a T-score alone.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi Patricia,

I just want to affirm you in your choice of natural compounded female hormones prescribed by a Naturopath.

As you likely know MDs are infamous for offering chemical medications that are definitely not safe, and we know this just by looking at the long list of "possible" side effects.

Normally I read side effects about any drug before I will even get a prescription filled. But one time, a very good doctor I knew prescribed something for me (I forget what) where 'death' was listed along side benign side effects such as nausea, headache, upset stomach, etc. This doctor freaked out and said "DON'T TAKE IT!". Of course, I hadn't taken it. I was just sorry that I bought it before I read the side effects.

As I think you are likely aware, the natural compounded female Hormone Replacement therapy prescribed by a naturopath is the lowest amount and safest possible hormones to accomplish relief of your specific symptoms. Naturopath doctors' main concern is to provide the very least damaging treatment possible, and only when needed.

Naturopath doctors have the same educational background as MD's except the surgical field. So they do not want to and by law may not perform any kind of surgery.

Medical Doctors should get a grip...there is room for both types of doctors.
    It is the un-natural strengths of hormones in the one-size-fits all hormone formulas such as Premarin, and others that are not safe.

A not so funny thing...

MDs still, without a bit of concern, prescribe the chemically made one size fits all hormones that have been proven to be unsafe .

Best wishes in resolving your bone issues.

Love,

Last edited by yayagirl; 07-05-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    calcium, osteopenia, osteoporosis treaments, supplements