It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• New here ... I have osteoporosis age 53 ... forteo

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
    wagraham
    (female)

wagraham HB User
    Question New here ... I have osteoporosis age 53 ... forteo

I was put on Forteo about a year ago. Six months in my PCP discovered I now have Diabetes Type II . I have never ever had any issue with my sugar levels. I feel it was caused by the forteo. I have had to quit work. I kept on re-fracturing my foot, that is how they discovered what is wrong. I have a number of conditions that may or may not be related. Right now I have gallstones and a liver that is 3x the size of what it is supposed to be. I go the first of november to a surgeon to schedule removal of my gallbladder. I also have an immune disorder that makes me susceptible to getting sick very fast. I currently have a infection that I can't get rid of. I have three disc in my neck that need fusing, but I was afraid to have anything done because my podiatrist is afraid that if/when he operates on my foot that my bones might crumble. There is something horribly wrong with my lumbar. My neck and lumbar hurt so darned bad. So I have to take meds for that: Neurontin, Tramadol, skelaxin. I also have fibromyalgia, DDD, DJD, asthma.

Have any of you developed Type II Diabetes while taking Forteo? I have found online some that have this same issue.

The following user gives a hug of support to wagraham:
    movielover40 (10-26-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
    PJ983
    (female)

PJ983 HB User
    Re: New here.... I have osteoporosis age 53....forteo

Hello,

Forteo is a Parathyroid Hormone like drug. You would have to enquire how could a parathyroid hormone have anything to do with diabetes. The listed possible side effect is a slight chance of bone cancer.

What type of diabetes is it? Is it the type that can be controlled by diet? Hopefully it is reversible.

I took Forteo and never had any side effects. I also didn't have any lasting improvement.

Pam

Old 10-26-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
    Gretagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User

No lastin improvement? May I ask what type of improvement you did see, and what treatment were you put on after Forteo?
    I had considerable improvement but didn't want to go on most drugs recommend afterwards. I am now on Evista but can't another Dexa scan for 1 1/2 years.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
    PJ983
    (female)

PJ983 HB User

Greta, I've been at this a long long time. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Initially I tried Progesterone creme on my own. Then after about 3 years they had me try Actonel. After about 2 years I then went on Forteo. After that I think it was off and on with Actonel a little. The improvement was only fractios of a point.

IMO any and all of these drugs do not do much. To go from -3.5 to -3.1 for example is not really worth the possible side effects of the drugs. The new info we have now tells us that Bisphosphonates, as well as Prolia and Reclast may create brittle old bone to build up and that they slow down the natural bone building process. That's why some get spontaneous hip/femur fractures.

In in the last 15 years my numbers haven't significantly changed no matter what treatment I do or don't do. Right now I'm NOT taking Actonel because it back to make phantom pains in my hips making it hard to walk or stand. I only take natural supplements now. I take Strontium for example.

Pam

Last edited by PJ983; 10-26-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
    wagraham
    (female)

wagraham HB User
    Thumbs up Re: New here.... I have osteoporosis age 53....forteo

Its Diabetes Type II. I have been through so many meds to get the right one, and now that my liver and gallbladder is messed up I am being put back on Metformin but this time it is eXtended release not as likely to mess the colon up.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-26-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
    JazzLily
    (female)

JazzLily HB User
    Re: New here ... I have osteoporosis age 53 ... forteo

From what I've heard about bone-building drugs, I'd rather have the osteoporosis. Don't take my word for it; google it. I know some of the drugs work on osteoblasts and osteoclasts - types of cells that build new bone and break down old, dead bone. Bones are living, moving parts of the body, like organs. The drugs block osteoclasts (which break down old bone), which makes a bone scan look good, but it's not necessarily healthy bone.

At 57, I'm very aware of the potential for osteoporosis, especially since I had to give up drinking milk at age 37. I did tons of online, seat-of-the-pants research about calcium, and this is the conclusion I've come to:

What you don't eat matters as much as what you do eat. Don't consume dairy milk, soda, or sugar. Aged cheese and kefir are OK, or anything fermented. Dairy milk actually leaches calcium from your bones.

Do eat nuts, leafy greens, and take liquid calcium supplements WITH magnesium added. Calcium isn't properly absorbed without magnesium.

Weight-bearing exercise is good for your bones. That means walking, not running. Running is terrible for your joints in the long run (no pun). Yoga is good too, tai chi. Don't think you have to be an Olympic athlete.

See a chiropractor on a regular basis.

Drink a lot of plain water, just because everybody should.

My bone density has gone up, so I think I can speak from experience.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would see an ortho about your stress fractures instead of a pod - orthos have more training. Also, my rheumy sent me to an osteoporosis clinic just to be sure of what was going on with some foot stress fractures(turned out to be what the ortho said - torsion caused due to problems with my big toe issue impacting my gait). Anyway, after a detailed history, all my foot xrays, all my DEXA scans (I'm 71 now), the osteo guru sent me on my way saying all was well and she attributed the increases in my bone density over the years (-1.9 to -1.0) SOLELY DUE TO HRT. And she said to use that as reasoning whenever my gyno wants to take me off it. I've always been a big proponent of HRT and this just makes me more steadfast.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #8
    fitnflorida
    (female)

fitnflorida HB User

Titchou, Could you share the name of your HRT?
    Thank you.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Activella 1./.5

Reply Reply