It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• any natural remedies to recommend?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
    sybil s
    (female)

sybil s HB User
    any natural remedies to recommend?

I was recently diagnosed with osteopenia and am reluctant to take the existing medications. I'm eager to hear what others have done who feel similarly. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: any natural remedies to recommend?

What was your score? Do you exercise? Are you on birth control or HRT?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sybil sage View Post
    I was recently diagnosed with osteopenia and am reluctant to take the existing medications. I'm eager to hear what others have done who feel similarly. Thanks.
    I think you're doing the right thing to question the course of treatment. I don't think we can even be sure about the diagnosis when different testing equipment can yield different results.

Also, bone mass does not indicate bone strength. Some people with low bone mass may have stronger bones than someone with higher bone mass. The only way someone would know for sure that they have a problem is if they actually break a bone. And even strong bones will break anyway if a person falls a certain way.

The best course of action, in my opinion, is to be supper careful to prevent falling. After all, there's actually no cure for osteopenia or osteoporosis. Also, it's very important to eat a healthy diet and get at least moderate exercise.

Forget dairy. The best way to get your calcium is by eating dark leafy greens and plenty of fresh vegetables in general. Cut back on processed foods and animal protein as those items will leach calcium from your system/organs/bones.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I improved my DEXA score -as did my sister- with HRT. Estrogen was the key. I went thru the Osteoporosis Clinic at UAB medical school as you can have osteoporotic bones and not have osteoporosis. I didn't have either. The head of the program told me that my increase was due solely to the HRT. I'm now at -1.1 - barely osteopenia. I am 72,jog and work with a trainer twice a week.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:10 AM   #5
    face1985
    (male)

face1985 HB User

taking vitamin D and calcium suppliments as well as quiting smoking if you do and having no more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day can help reduce bone loss. In addition exercise such as walking and light weight exercise can be beneficial. I do not suffer from and bone conditions but this is what i came up with over the net.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

If you only have osteopenia I wouldn't even consider medication. I was told many years ago that I had osteoporosis. I tried all the different drugs that were available. Due to side effects I couldn't tolerate any of them. I've just been taking calcium supplements with vit. D, magnesium, and doing as much weight-bearing exercise as possible. All doctors like to scare you into taking meds when not always necessary.

Closed Thread