It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

DEXA scan

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
pthompso99

pthompso99 HB User
Question DEXA scan

I have had about every 2 years over 10 years. They have always done my L 1-4 and my right hip.I had slowly been improving in my osteropenic readings. I assumed (!!) the right hip was routinely done, since the ordering physician never specified a hip side to do. This year, the dexa was done of the left hip (even tho, again, physician did not specify). The reading radiologist actually compared results of my recent left hip to results of two years ago of my right hip. I sppreciate hips can be different. Why would he produce an invalid comparison (comparing current left hip to two-year-old right hip dexa)? I have since learned that the recommendation from radiology experts has been to do both hips, since 2012!! This is well beyond what a patient should have to know and insist on having done. Again, no problems in function/feel/pain ever reported in either hip. Having problem getting ordering physician or radiologist to get involved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: DEXA scan

Dear pthompso99,

Your doctor may have ordered the scan of the other hip to compare the two sides. There usually is a lot of lee-way between common practice and what you may read from other sources. So far your scans look good. Why do you think the radiologist's scan was invalid?

You can always call the doctor's office and ask to speak with a nurse practitioner to answer your questions.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm confused by your question. The machine scans all of you. Perhaps they are just giving you the one score because it's the lowest? You get the scan results right then and there and I've often asked questions of the tech. Do you have a score that is concerning? My T score is -1.1 and increased to that from-1.9 over the last 10 years.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I am confused by your question. Everytime I have had a DEXA scan, they have done both of my hips and my spine. Maybe you only saw the one result since it was significantly different from the prior scan? There is no real sense in only scanning one hip- unless that hip has been replaced or they are considering a replacement.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
pthompso99

pthompso99 HB User

Dear Many Responders: Thank you for your replies. I am cxarrying on.
When doc wrote order, she didn't say which side. I think she (as I) assumed right was default, if no side listed on order. I think both sides might show up in scan when done, but not sure.. (Frankly, I until now would never have asked about which is being scanned, or, if both scanned, which is being evaluated by radiologist.) Not sure. But, reading radiologist actually compared current left to 2-yr-old right. There's no way that's valid.

Ordering doc has given me a new order where she ordered rescan, but I have my doubts whether insurance ewill accept. She indicated not to worry about 2nd dose of expopsure (hmmmm).

Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm also not sure why you refer to a radiologist. The tech always gives me my score right then and there...no waiting. I get a paper copy. Is this not your experience?

Reply Reply