It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Newly diagnosed Osteoporosis. Now what?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
    Ellisland
    (female)

Ellisland HB User
    Lightbulb Newly diagnosed Osteoporosis. Now what?

Diagnosed at -3.1 of L1-L4. I don't smoke, don't drink, I work out, I hike, I walk, I exercise, I stretch. I don't eat (much) processed food. I've had lower back problems most of my life, so I suppose this isn't shocking since it's always been weak. (I don't work my lower back exclusively since it hurts lower back, other than what is above) My hips are at -1.8. So with all my exercise I'm sort of wondering what to do, other than work a little harder on those areas. And I'm shocked about my hips being in osteopenia.

The effects of the meds I read are discerning! My doctor wants prolia and is contacting insurance. I am not liking all those side effects of any of the drugs.

So questions. I'm almost 61. Can osteo be stopped? I'm reading it can't be reversed.
    Do I go to a specialized doctor or stay with my family practioner who ordered the Dexa and is getting an okay for Prolia?
    Options?

Everything I read sort of contradicts the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Osteoporosis. Now what?

I also read that it can't be reversed and that bone mass and bone strength are not always the same thing. Some people have low bone mass but good bone strength. Others can have high bone mass and poor bone strength. And the testing, from what I understand, does not tell you anything about bone strength, which is the all important thing.

Also, they say you can build up bone mass, but I doubt it will add strength. So you might wonder what they are treating you for.

What I read years ago is that the best thing you can do for yourself is to stay healthy and fit and be careful not to fall down. Falling is the biggest danger for breaking bones.

Also read that different doctors may have different equipment for testing (i.e., equipment made by different manufacturers) and so different doctors may come up with different results. That's something you might want to look into.

Ask your doctor what he/she hopes to accomplish by treating with medication. Ask if the treatment will add bone strength or just bone mass.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    Ellisland (11-06-2021)
    Old 11-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
    Ellisland
    (female)

Ellisland HB User

Thank you. I will ask.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would talk with your gyno. That's where I get my scans. Additionally, are you on HRT?
    My Rheumy says that is why at 5'0' and 75 y/o my scans are so great...barely osteopenia..estrogen is key.

Reply Reply