It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• I asked the dr about my hump back and she said it is just fat build up. ???????? ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
    muslimlady

muslimlady HB User
    Question I asked the dr about my hump back and she said it is just fat build up. ???????? ????

hi, I have had a hump in my upper back or lower neck for years. I take asthma meds and also had been bulimic for years. well I went to the dr to ask about my hump and she did not even touch it and just looked at it and said to not worry it is just fat accumalated there. I told her it hurts when I try to work out on the upper body( even lightly like the stair master with the arm movements like your sking..)it hurts so bad that i can not move for a day or more. She said because my fat there my muscels are weak right there. she wants me to see a phical theripst for 6 visits. What will this person do for me. and do you think I should ask the theripst what he thinks it is? would he know? can he order a bone scan on me or does my dr have to do it? I do not think she dignosed it correctly because she was so nonshalont about the whole visit. she didnt even feel it or touch it. do you think i need another recomendation? My insurance will only allow me to go to her and if i want to go to another i have to do it via her office. what should I do next? what should be my next move?

MUSLIMLADY~~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    Re: I asked the dr about my hump back and she said it is just fat build up. ???????? ????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muslimlady
    hi, I have had a hump in my upper back or lower neck for years. I take asthma meds and also had been bulimic for years. well I went to the dr to ask about my hump and she did not even touch it and just looked at it and said to not worry it is just fat accumalated there. I told her it hurts when I try to work out on the upper body( even lightly like the stair master with the arm movements like your sking..)it hurts so bad that i can not move for a day or more. She said because my fat there my muscels are weak right there. she wants me to see a phical theripst for 6 visits. What will this person do for me. and do you think I should ask the theripst what he thinks it is? would he know? can he order a bone scan on me or does my dr have to do it? I do not think she dignosed it correctly because she was so nonshalont about the whole visit. she didnt even feel it or touch it. do you think i need another recomendation? My insurance will only allow me to go to her and if i want to go to another i have to do it via her office. what should I do next? what should be my next move?

MUSLIMLADY~~~
    since your ins will allow you only to go to this one dr i think you need to make another appt with her ...you need to tell her that you do not feel comfortable with a visual diagnosis and that you want her to do the necessary tests to determine what the hump is before you start physical therapy..we all need to learn to be proactive when it comes to our health care. we women especially need to learn to speak up.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User
    Re: I asked the dr about my hump back and she said it is just fat build up. ???????? ????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muslimlady

MUSLIMLADY~~~
    See the therapist as she recommends..the therapist will know if its fat or bone. besides if its either one you STILL need the muscle therapy.

As far as Osteoporosis is concered.. you won't see the hump it can possibly cause till it's too late for the bones anyway..Once bent they can't be straightened and it will be definately visiable that it's the spine that is bent. You easily can SEE the bent back bone area.. my mom has it. Strong back muscles do help it stay straighter longer. Take your calcium, D and mag and excerscise is about all you can do anyway..bone scan or no bone scan.

My brothers girlfriend has a HUGE fatty cyst on her upper back (hide under her long hair so you couldn't see it) that bascially looked like a hump setting there. She finally had it removed and now she has short hair!

I have Osteoporosis and a fat back. Sadly my back as well as the rest of me is fat all over.. I should get rid of it cuz it's extra weight pressure on the thinning bones.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowmelts
    See the therapist as she recommends..the therapist will know if its fat or bone. besides if its either one you STILL need the muscle therapy.

As far as Osteoporosis is concered.. you won't see the hump it can possibly cause till it's too late for the bones anyway..Once bent they can't be straightened and it will be definately visiable that it's the spine that is bent. You easily can SEE the bent back bone area.. my mom has it. Strong back muscles do help it stay straighter longer. Take your calcium, D and mag and excerscise is about all you can do anyway..bone scan or no bone scan.

My brothers girlfriend has a HUGE fatty cyst on her upper back (hide under her long hair so you couldn't see it) that bascially looked like a hump setting there. She finally had it removed and now she has short hair!

I have Osteoporosis and a fat back. Sadly my back as well as the rest of me is fat all over.. I should get rid of it cuz it's extra weight pressure on the thinning bones.
    diet and exercise and calcium are not really all that you can do..for many of us that is not enough. as much as i hate having to take meds with all the side effects that they can bring i have had to start on evista. you need to find out your t score and then make an informed decision on whether you need to take fosamax actonel or evista ..good luck

Old 01-06-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
    becky1954

becky1954 HB User

the physical therapist can not order the bone scan.only a md can do that.he might be able to tell you what it is by examination.they examine you and make you do all kind of movements to see what the problem is.your dr should at least do an xray.mine finally did after repeated visits complaining about of back problems.i have arthritis in my spine.he ordered a bone density test which i had 3 wks ago and still haven't gotten the results.i don't know what their problem is.i called the place where i got the test done yesterday and they were going to check into it.i never heard anything so i don't know if they found it or not.i would go back to your dr.keep us posted and take care.

Closed Thread