It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Question Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

I'm starting my 4th month on Forteo but won't have a Dexa scan for 6 more months. I was hoping I could hear from someone who has been taking it for a while. I had three pathological fractures within three months (no trauma whatsoever) and I am so hoping that it works.

I would love to know if anyone has had success or if anyone else on the board is taking the injections.

~oldbones/Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
    jlaw35550

jlaw35550 HB User
    Question Re: Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

I just saw my rheumotologist today, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis two years ago and have been taking fosamax. Due to stomach problems my regular physician changed my medication to micalcin. I had another bone density test done on 06-04 and it show a 50% decline in my bone density in my hips since last year. My rheumotologist wants me to have bone density test done tomorrow. He & I are hoping that the one done earlier this month was a technical error, if not he said he would recommend Fortero injections. He said it cost approximately $600.00/month. I can't really afford that because I'm already on maintenance medicine for blood pressure, cholesterol & hormones. I have health insurance but it will not cover all these meds. Does anyone know about any kind of assistance for medications like Forteo?
    How are you doing on the Forteo?

Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Re: Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

I haven't had any adverse reactions at all on the Forteo. There were a couple of times that I had a hot flushed feeling after the injection but it went away in just a few minutes. So far, I've had no more fractures but, like I mentioned, I've only been on it a short while. I'm looking forward to having my next bone density test. I know that the shots are terribly expensive. Thankfully I have insurance that covers a big part of the cost. I have Lupus and have to take a lot of other meds so even with my insurance, I have a lot of medication expenses. Plus, with all the fractures......my medical bills pretty much drains the pocketbook.

You should talk to your doctor and ask him if he knows of any programs that might assist you with the Forteo expense......such as the manufacturer, Eli Lilly. I've seen some other contacts mentioned on this Board that will help with medication expenses when you can prove that you need it (your doctor could assist you with this). I really felt like Forteo was my last hope because my bones are in terrible shape and I don't want another fracture. I have a history of stomach ulcers and when I took Actonel, it caused more stomach inflammation. Some people do well on it though.

Hope your bone density test turns out better than the other one. Keep me updated!

Oldbones/Gina

Old 07-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
    teady843
    (female)

teady843 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

I have only been on the forteo injections for 2 months but have a friend who took it for 18 months and had excellent results with the rebuilding of bone. I will keep this board informed of results as I have had some serious side effects from other drugs and wish I had known some of the symptoms that were not listed on the information from the manufacturer. Good Luck to us both with the forteo!

The Following User Says Thank You to teady843 For This Useful Post:
    atomant842 (09-24-2011)
    Old 07-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User

teady843

Thank you for letting me know about your friend's positive progress with Forteo. I saw my rheumatologist today and I had my blood work done as recommended when you are on Forteo injections. I really wish you well with the Forteo and hope that it works for you. I haven't heard of any adverse reactions with Forteo. I'm very interested in learning of your results after being on it for a while. Did you go to the Forteo website or call the company to get your starter kit? It has the little "bag" that will hold two pens (syringes) and ice packs to keep it cold when you travel. I thought it was pretty nifty!

Oldbones

Old 07-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
    teady843
    (female)

teady843 HB User

Yes, I met with the company representative for instructions and she gave me the first month's pen along with the kit. I have a good prescription drug plan and only have to pay one copay for a three month supply.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
    teady843
    (female)

teady843 HB User

Yes, I met the company representative at my doctor's office to receive instructions and she gave me the kit with a month's supply pen. I have a good prescription drug plan and get a three month supply for one copay.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
    annika.64

annika.64 HB User

undefinedundefined
    I have lupus and am on Forteo for osteoporosis. I've just started my 10th month and have a new lease on life (40th birthday next week). I just want to let everyone know the positives of Forteo far outway having to pay $850 AUS/month - no reimbursement in Oz. I haven't had 1 fracture in 9 months (after 3 years of weekly rib and feet fractures)
    That's all for now.
    annika.64/Annette

Last edited by annika.64; 08-23-2004 at 04:00 AM. Reason: change font

Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Smile Re: Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

Quote:
    I have lupus and am on Forteo for osteoporosis. I've just started my 10th month and have a new lease on life (40th birthday next week). I just want to let everyone know the positives of Forteo far outway having to pay $850 AUS/month - no reimbursement in Oz. I haven't had 1 fracture in 9 months (after 3 years of weekly rib and feet fractures)
    That's all for now.
    annika.64/Annette
    Annette...

Thank you sooo much for your post. It makes me feel that their is hope for us! I am so anxious to find out if the Forteo is helping me (I'm starting month 6). Foot fractures are painful and I still have to be very careful (not much walking right now). I have had rib pain that I felt with every breath but never had an x-ray to confirm a break. My hip fracture is healing but when my Lupus flairs, my hip pain is still very bad. How many fractures have you had? I can certainly empathize with you. Did steroids contribute to your osteoporosis? I had no problems with my bones until taking Prednisone. I had to take it though in order to live a semi-normal lifestyle. Unforunately we sometimes don't have a choice.

I'm very happy that Forteo is working for you.

Oldbones/Gina

Old 10-14-2004, 08:41 PM   #10
    dee54

dee54 HB User

Gina, I have made the decision not to take Forteo at the present time because I am concerned about the black box warning and not enough clinical data. I do worry that I am making the wrong decision. I am 55 and just learned I have severe osteoporosis (t-score -3.1), but I have NEVER had a fracture When I asked my dr. why I couldn't just take a pill, he said Forteo was better for me because I am postmenopausal (hysterectomy in 1986, still have one ovary). I have degen. disc disease and have back pain on a daily basis. I wonder if the Forteo would help all this back pain. If I knew for sure it would, I would probably reconsider my decision.

Last edited by dee54; 10-14-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: Anyone on daily Forteo injections??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dee54
    Gina, I have made the decision not to take Forteo at the present time because I am concerned about the black box warning and not enough clinical data. I do worry that I am making the wrong decision. I am 55 and just learned I have severe osteoporosis (t-score -3.1), but I have NEVER had a fracture When I asked my dr. why I couldn't just take a pill, he said Forteo was better for me because I am postmenopausal (hysterectomy in 1986, still have one ovary). I have degen. disc disease and have back pain on a daily basis. I wonder if the Forteo would help all this back pain. If I knew for sure it would, I would probably reconsider my decision.
    Hi dee54.... I can understand your hesitation with starting Forteo. Since you have had zero fractures, it would take a lot of thought before starting on a medication with a black box warning. I am also 55 and had absolutely no symptoms of osteoporosis until my right foot started hurting for a couple of weeks, then felt a sharp pain and it fractured. Same thing with my left foot. Then I had pain in my right hip for about two weeks before it fractured. I felt that if one fracture after another was all I had to look forward to in life, I was willing to try something that has of yet, NOT caused osteosarcoma in humans. However, rats did have osteosarcoma, if I remember correctly, in about 50 percent of the young, growing test rats that were given doses of 3 to 60 times what a human receives. We never can tell on any drug what the consequences may be in the long run. I just felt that taking Forteo was the best route for me. So far, after 9 months, I have had no more fractures. I still have pain from my first fractured foot and my hip. If I would just have known that I had such bad bones, I could have started preventative steps, but I had no symptoms and never had a broken bone before. My doctor did try Actonel and Calcium w/Vit.D before starting Forteo, but I couldn't tolerate it.

I have Lupus and upon doing some research on back box warnings, I found that another drug that I have to take is Imuran, which is an immunosuppressant, also has a black box warning. The warnings on it are based on human severe adverse reactions (lymphoma for one) and not rats so that gives me more cause for concern than Forteo. I also take estrogen which I think also has a black box warning (not positive about that though).

It certainly is an individual decision that you have to make. My rheumatologist did a very complete blood work-up and did mention the black box warning before prescribing Forteo. I really didn't have to give it too much thought as I envisioned having a broken bone from turning over in bed vs taking a drug that gave a rat cancer. I just hope it helps me and all others that are taking it. There have been very good results from what I have read on the board and from info from my doctor who has other patients taking it.

I don't know if Forteo would help your degenerative disk disease. I have that also and have a lot of back pain. I do know that Forteo is suppose to help with small vertebrae fractures.

Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to let you know why I decided on Forteo. All I can say is that you are doing the right thing by getting feedback from others who are on the drug and speaking with your doctor about it. The best of luck to you in your decision. Now.....I'm off for a quick weekend trip and looking forward to getting out of this house!

Oldbones
    (and hoping for stronger bones!)

Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
    Wharfrat

Wharfrat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldbones

I'm starting my 4th month on Forteo but won't have a Dexa scan for 6 more months. I was hoping I could hear from someone who has been taking it for a while. I had three pathological fractures within three months (no trauma whatsoever) and I am so hoping that it works.

I would love to know if anyone has had success or if anyone else on the board is taking the injections.

~oldbones/Gina

Closed Thread