It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Cost of Forteo??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Cost of Forteo??

I am in the midst of having bloodwork, etc. and have next appt. with endo. in about a week. I am pretty sure she is going to start me on Forteo as I have had no luck with oral meds due to IBS, etc. My question is, how much is this medication? I have heard it is very expensive. My insurance does not cover my osteo as it was pre-existing.... Has anyone had great success with Forteo, I am pre-menopausal and it worries me to start this drug so early as you can only take it for two years and after menopause, my bones will really be at risk... Thanks for your response...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 04:27 AM   #2
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User
    Re: Cost of Forteo??

From what I have seen, it is about $550.00 per month. I have not taken it - my doctor didn't know what it was when I asked! I will ask about it again next year if the Fosamax doesn't improve my T-scores. I hope the medicine helps you!

Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User

Oh yeah - maybe you could also try the nasal spray, if you can't take pills - it's called Calcitonin. I'm not sure how much it costs, but it has to be cheaper than Forteo.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: Cost of Forteo??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinBones
    My question is, how much is this medication? I have heard it is very expensive. My insurance does not cover my osteo as it was pre-existing....
    Hi Thinbones.....

I checked my insurance on-line pharmacy website where I order most of medications.....including Forteo. According to their pharmacy, Forteo would cost $470.00 month if I didn't have insurance, plus your needles which run about $27.00 for 100 count.

I remember checking with a local pharmacy when I first started on Forteo and I thought they said it would run around $600 a month. I didn't call any of the pharmacies in the discount stores such as Wal-Mart but if you called, they should give you the monthly cost. One Forteo pen lasts for 28 days. Even if you have some left in the syringe, you have to discard the pen after 28 days.

Hope this helps.

~Oldbones

Old 11-06-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks Oldbones, may I ask what on-line pharmacy you use? That seems quite a bit cheaper than getting it at a local pharmacy. Walmat as you said, could be competitive. I return to the MD this Tuesday and I am pretty sure that is what she is going to recommend. I have read a limited amount about the I.V. biphosponates as I can't find too much on this and there seems to be more risk due to side effects. Although very high doses of Forteo does cause cancer in rats and long term studies I guess have not been done, it still seems like the best alternative for me as my spine is -3.6 and I already have back problems. Thanks for your response!!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User

Thinbones: I think that my response about my on-line pharmacy was a bit misleading. I have Federal BC/BS and only members of that insurance plan can order through their pharmacy. I never have to pay the entire cost of $470.00 for Forteo. It only shows that amount so that the BC/BS members will know the amount of money they are saving by being under the BC/BS pharmacy program. I only have to pay one co-pay and can get up to a 3 month supply. I'm very thankful that I have insurance that will pay for osteoporosis medications. My doctor had to write a letter to the insurance company stating the reason that I needed to take Forteo. They approved it without any problems. As of January 1, another pharmacy is taking over the BC/BS pharmacy program. I hope they don't make any drastic changes and not cover some meds that they would cover before. I guess I shouldn't worry about that right now.......

You said that your insurance wouldn't cover Forteo because your osteoporosis was pre-existing. I'm assuming that you had already had a bone density test done before you got your present insurance????

~Oldbones

Old 11-09-2004, 08:11 AM   #7
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Oldbones - Yes, I had wonderful insurance for 20 years, now we are self employed with not the best insurance and I was just too honest to the new insurance company. I had a Dexa-scan but had taken nothing for it and probably they would have never known....I don't believe in not telling the truth and that is why I did...but insurance companies....I just don't like them. Now I am afraid when I have a fracture, they will not cover anything and just way due to osteoporosis!! Oh well, live and learn.... Should know next week about the Forteo. Have you had any side effects because if there are any, I will probably get them, I am so sensitive to any drug. I am also worried about taking this before menopause, what do I do after?? This is only for use for two years.... My spine is so bad now though, guess I need to do something.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinBones
    Oldbones - Should know next week about the Forteo. Have you had any side effects because if there are any, I will probably get them, I am so sensitive to any drug. I am also worried about taking this before menopause, what do I do after?? This is only for use for two years.... My spine is so bad now though, guess I need to do something.
    Thinbones...... Let's just hope that you don't have a fracture. However, if you did have a fracture, your insurance would have to prove that it was caused by osteoporosis. Also, some insurances only put the "rider" for pre-existing conditions on the policy for a certain period of time.

I've had no side effects from Forteo other than a couple of times after the injection, I had a flushed feeling which I think was just my nerves. Maybe it was a hot flash or just apprehension from the injection. Now, I get the Forteo from the fridge, grab the alcohol pads, prime the syringe then inject with this teeny tiny needle. It takes about a minute once you get the hang of it and I go on my way. They recommend that when you first start Forteo, that you are close to a chair just in case you feel dizzy after the injection. I think this is probably due to a lot of people being so fearful of needles. I use to work in a medical laboratory and I was amazed at how many people fainted when they had their finger stuck or had blood drawn. I've been on Forteo since March 28th. I'm anemic but I was anemic before I started it. I have a rash on my face but I had it prior to the Forteo. My rheumatologist says both are from Lupus. I don't know what will happen after two years. Maybe by then, more testing will be done and it can be continued longer or they may feel like it will improve your bones as much as they will improve so there's no need to extend it over two years.

I got a letter from my Rheumatologist a couple of days ago. I had a Dexa-scan done which was so much more thorough than the one I had a year ago. In some of my other posts, I think I have mentioned that according to my T-Score, I had no osteoporosis that showed up in my first scan according to the radiologist. My Rheumatologist somehow took all the figures (T-Scores, Z-scores,etc.) and figured out by using all the numbers that I definitely did have osteoporosis. Also I had the fractures and the x-rays that showed 40% bone loss so basically the first Dexa I had was terribly inaccurate. I had it done locally at what I thought was a reliable facility. I couldn't have it repeated because my insurance wouldn't pay. My last scan was done so much more thoroughly and I had it done at my doctor's office with his new machine. The letter from my doctor said that he had reviewed my bone density study. He also said that his new machine had the ability to look at the lumbar spine from the lateral view and it showed that I definitely had low bone density. He said the good news was that compared to last year, I had improved 2.5% in the hip and 7.1% in the lumbar spine. He advised to keep up the "good work" with Forteo and we will recheck in a year.

Sorry for this being so long. Please let me know what you find out when you see your doctor.

Good luck to you.....
    ~Oldbones

Old 11-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

How encouraging that the Forteo has improved your T scores!! I also had the lateral view done this year but still had a decrease in my spine, not a lot but significant when you are looking at -3.4. I missed my MD appt. Tuesday as my son is pretty sick with a virus. I called and the next time I can get in isn't until Jan.4th. I am seeing a doctor at MD Anderson Hospital which is primarily a cancer hospital but they have a bone disease program and apparently I qualify as they took me as a patient. It is probably better to wait until after the holidays anyway with the cost that may be involved. I will let you know. I had tons of bloodwork and now have to wait until I go in Jan. to know the results. They have to look at where I am in menopause, etc. I am also now doing Yoga which is suppose to be really good for osteo. and I like it. The group I go to is all women who are in the 40's-50's and older so it is perfect, slow but still hard. My Mom passed away two years ago and she had lost almost 6 inches of height, multiple fractures, etc. I have to do something to ward that off. She was in horrific pain most of the time, even with morphine. She is my driving force now. Sorry to also ramble....I'll let you know what I find out in January, pretty sure they will start me on Forteo but you never know, maybe they will have something new......

Closed Thread