It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• FOSAMAX sideeffect...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
    eve_hmmkr

eve_hmmkr HB User
    The Myths of Osteoporosis...

Recently, I was diagnosed with advanced osteoporosis, equivalent to that of an 80-90 year old woman. A devastating, traumatic experience (as served up for me by the doctors, technicans etc involved), considering that I live on the healthiest diet possible, do yoga every day, walk or run miles daily, bike upto 60 miles regularly during the summer and even lift some weight..
    I only took FOSAMAX for 6 days, when a protrusion began to develop on my left EYE! I stopped immediately. The doctor at the clinic wasn't much of a help, so I started looking for answers on my own. Sure enough, there were several similar complaints on the web, even on this board...
    Then I began searching relevant literature and bumped into a book that gave me all the answers to my worries... Just read Gillian Sanson's THE MYTH OF OSTEOPOROSIS (What Every Woman Should Know About Creating Bone Health) - 2003 Edition. You will never touch FOSAMAX, or other "medications" - in fact, you might do as I and stop looking for help and cure from doctors...
    Reading all the mesages on this board, I realized that I must highlight some of the information in this book to help others decide to get a copy asap. It could greatly benefit most posters - and, stop them from worrying about their bone density! -if they too had a chance to read "The Myth of Osteoporosis". In this book the author provides positive steps women can take to create optimal bone health (via exercise and lifestyle changes)while correcting the many misconceptions surrounding osteoporosis, including:
    * the myth that osteoporosis is THE (deadly) cause of fractures in the elderly,
    * the myth that the diagnosis of osteoporosis as a measure of low bone density is accurate, valid and reliable,
    * the myth that osteoporosis can be safely prevented and treated with drugs,
    * the myth that taking drugs to increase bone density necessarily decreases the chances of fracture,
    * the myth that high calcium and dairy intake prevents osteoporosis.

As P. Douglas D.D. says in the Preface, "By exposing the myths..., Gill Sanson has set women free from vorrying about bone loss. She has provided them with invaluable knowledge to maintain their health..."

Last edited by eve_hmmkr; 11-11-2004 at 02:48 PM. Reason: to provide more info about a great osteo-book

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Re: FOSAMAX sideeffect...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eve_hmmkr
    Recently, I was diagnosed with advanced osteoporosis, equivalent to that of an 80-90 year old woman. A devastating, traumatic experience (as served up for me by the doctors, technicans etc involved), considering that I live on the healthiest diet possible, do yoga every day, walk or run miles daily, bike upto 60 miles regularly during the summer and even lift some weight..
    I only took FOSAMAX for 6 days, when a protrusion began to develop on my left EYE! I stopped immediately. The doctor at the clinic wasn't much of a help, so I started looking for answers on my own. Sure enough, there were several similar complaints on the web, even on this board...
    Then I began searching relevant literature and bumped into a book that gave me all the answers to my worries... Just read Gillian Sanson's THE MYTH OF OSTEOPOROSIS (What Every Woman Should Know About Creating Bone Health) - 2003 Edition. You will never touch FOSAMAX, or other "medications" - in fact, you might do as I and stop looking for help and cure from doctors...
    I agree with everything you have said above. I, too, had devastating results from the osteo drugs which disappeared immediately upon discontinuing.

Doctors dispense drugs. If that is your choice, fine, but there are other methods. Do your own research and then see if you want to continue taking the toxic drugs. There are many threads here that outline alternative methods of dealing w/osteo. I have been doing this for well over a year and have seen my dexa numbers improve.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

You people scare me. Because you keep saying that I am harming myself because I'm trying to help myself by taking Fosamax. I've been taking it 9 or 10 months now.

I have had bad Dry Eye Syndrom for many many years before I had osteoporosis and this year the dry eyes's (or something) is driving me nuts so your talk about eyes has got my attention. But I cannot find unbiased of prove your theories

I have goggled and, so far, only find advertisements (biased info) saying Fosamax will actully harm me. Medline plus does list the unbiased info and it certainly lists warnings, just like there are warnings for any drug. It does not say what you are saying.

WHERE are you finding this dire info??????

Yes I looked at info given above about the book..someone wants to make money on the book of course. It is is not unbiased. The link to the so-called news release leads nowhere since the page has been removed. I could write a book but it would not mean I knew what I was saying unless I could prove it. WHERE is the proof?

Health Boards will allow info to be posted if that info is scientific news and unbiased with no advertiseing.

SO why can no one point the direction to that info? IF it turely exisits?

I have already actually lost 1 & 3/4 inches in height to this disease.
    It scares me.
    Mother used to walk 5 miles to work and 5 miles back.
    Her back is bent from it now like an upsidedown U.

But I've taken calcium & vitamens forever and tried hard to prevent my back from becoming like mother's and I've failed.

Fosamax might be grabbing at straws but it's the only straw available.

If you could lead me to the actual unbiased news release saying this stuff has been proven bad for eyes then I'll gladly stop.

It's hard to stop simply because someone says they don't like medication.
    A slice of tomato (or fish) will send me to a ER because of allergies, but that does not mean the rest of the population should not eat tomatos (or fish).

All I'm asking for is the path to help me find these dire unbiased news releases. I am a logical, sensible person and I will read them with a very open mind.
    Please.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-13-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 AM   #4
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowmelts
    You people scare me. Because you keep saying that I am harming myself because I'm trying to help myself by taking Fosamax. I've been taking it 9 or 10 months now.

I have had bad Dry Eye Syndrom for many many years before I had osteoporosis and this year the dry eyes's (or something) is driving me nuts so your talk about eyes has got my attention. But I cannot find unbiased of prove your theories

I have goggled and, so far, only find advertisements (biased info) saying Fosamax will actully harm me. Medline plus does list the unbiased info and it certainly lists warnings, just like there are warnings for any drug. It does not say what you are saying.

WHERE are you finding this dire info??????

Yes I looked at info given above about the book..someone wants to make money on the book of course. It is is not unbiased. The link to the so-called news release leads nowhere since the page has been removed. I could write a book but it would not mean I knew what I was saying unless I could prove it. WHERE is the proof?

Health Boards will allow info to be posted if that info is scientific news and unbiased with no advertiseing.

SO why can no one point the direction to that info? IF it turely exisits?

I have already actually lost 1 & 3/4 inches in height to this disease.
    It scares me.
    Mother used to walk 5 miles to work and 5 miles back.
    Her back is bent from it now like an upsidedown U.

But I've taken calcium & vitamens forever and tried hard to prevent my back from becoming like mother's and I've failed.

Fosamax might be grabbing at straws but it's the only straw available.

If you could lead me to the actual unbiased news release saying this stuff has been proven bad for eyes then I'll gladly stop.

It's hard to stop simply because someone says they don't like medication.
    A slice of tomato (or fish) will send me to a ER because of allergies, but that does not mean the rest of the population should not eat tomatos (or fish).

All I'm asking for is the path to help me find these dire unbiased news releases. I am a logical, sensible person and I will read them with a very open mind.
    Please.
    What makes you think that drug companies are any more factual in the information they put out than Naturopaths, for instance? Pharmaceuticals are a business, a big business! Do you think their main concern is healing your osteoporosis or making money? Look at their insert listing side effects. A great many side effects people have reported on this board are not even listed there. Unfortunately, this is party because they don't KNOW all the side effects and this is true with any drug. Often it is only in retrospect that drugs are taken off the market because of complications developed after the research was released. A recent point in case - Vioxx. If you are really interested in what fosamax actually does in the body I would suggest doing your own research. There is also a very informative thread on the Thyroid board by someone who already did this. This was maybe a year ago but could probably be found by doing a search on "fosamax". Regarding a book someone mentioned, you know, not everyone just wants to make money on a book. There is a lot of good information out there in books. But again I would ask, why do you put all your unquestioned faith in what doctors and western medicine have to say but dismiss everything else? If you truly believe, "hook, line and sinker", what doctors and drug companies tell you than where is the opening for further investigation? I think it important to do one's own research but also to listen to one's own body. It will give you all the information you need to make a decision as to what is and is not working for you. I wish you all the best with whatever road you decide to go down. I have nothing invested in whichever path you choose as that will be right for YOU. So I agree, what is right for one person may not be for another. These boards are a place for whatever information exists within its membership to be posted. Each of us must then decide for ourselves what we will or won't do with that information.

Last edited by peregrine; 12-14-2004 at 05:39 AM.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Oh I don't dimiss it, not at all. I just can't find any real tangible proof.
    Believe me I don't take pills just cuz the Dr says to.

I want very badly to beat this disease and don't know where else to turn.
    I AM listening to my body.
    Like I said it has robbed me of 1 & 3/4 inches in height already.
    I've also developed a 10% scolosis, which might be a combination of my osteoarthritis and the osteoporosis..since either one can cause that curve. In either case it does cause achy-breaky back feelings.
    I want this degeneration stopped.

I have no thyroid problem, I don't have RA. The threads I've read concern people with a combination of osteoporosis and another disease.
    In the threads I see the problems, but no answers other than not taking the pills is posted. I do see advice such as take fish oil and hope a lot. But I am allergic to fish. That answer would cause more problems than I can handle.

If I don't take the pills then HOW do I stop this shrinking of my height?
    How do I stop the curving of my spine that has already begun?

Old 12-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Snowmelts - I too am very very scared of this disease. I took care of my elderly Mom until she passed away. She had severe osteo. She lost 6" in height, broke her sternum, multiple compression fractures, etc. She took morphine every 4 hours for pain. Yes, I am scared as I am only 48 and my spine is already very affected. If Foxomax does not give you side effects and improves your dexa scores, I would not hesitate to take it. I took it for 3 years and stopped due to severe joint pain. It is so hard to know what to believe, I cannot take calicum as my intestines do not tolerate it. I may look into Forteo soon, the drug does scare me but bone loss scares me much more.... I have the book about the myths of osteo. and some of it I want to believe but I also think that not all drugs are dangerous but every drug can be dangerous to some people. Osteoporosis may be over diagnosed now but I am really not sure. I was told when I was around 20 that I had the bones of an 80 year old, so where would that leave me now??? My internist at that time told me not to worry as it was normal for me. Well, we now know that is not true. Good luck, and if you look long enough into any drug or any disease, it can scare the pants off you but nothing scares me more than ending up like my poor Mom who I miss dearly.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Thinbones, I'm sorry about your Mom. Good to meet someone else who has seen it daily wreaking another person and understands what I mean. My Mom is so horribly bent and I am shrinking and bending.

I started Fosamax at aprox the end of last Jan or maybe sometime last Feb. had 4 months of the joint pain side effect and then that got Ok again. I also have bad OA as well as other disabilities not related to bones. (had those before the osteoporosis). But all in all I am much more limber and have less pain than I was at this same time last year.

It's this thing about the eyes that has me VERY interested in the thread. My eyes are of course very important to me. I have had the Dry Eye syndrom many years (before Fosamax), especially in the winter. It's driving me nuts lately.
    I am going to see the Eye Dr in May. I WILL ask him about Fosamax effects. If my eyes feel extra crazy before that I will make a bee-line for his office.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #8
    plc
    (female)

plc HB User

I have stopped taking fosmax and actenol. The side effects from both these drugs was too much for me to take. I had eye problems,teeth problems aches and pains from joints that I never new. It took about one month for these problems to disappear. I told my doctor that before I started these medications I felt fine....She told that the medications just slows the process and hopefully will prevent fractures. I said hopefully, she said they are still consider new, all data not in yet....however from what she has read and been told by the company, she feels it should help...Well....that was not good enough for me...I did my own searching, check out the FDA web site,then look at the the foods that you eat. I made some changes in dietary take a high mineral vit. and I feel better then I have. I have aunts that have been on fosmax for 2yrs now...their test results have shown only a small improvement. However both are now taking many different medications to help with the side effects of this medication...

Old 12-15-2004, 01:34 AM   #9
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowmelts
    Oh I don't dimiss it, not at all. I just can't find any real tangible proof.
    Believe me I don't take pills just cuz the Dr says to.

I want very badly to beat this disease and don't know where else to turn.
    I AM listening to my body.
    Like I said it has robbed me of 1 & 3/4 inches in height already.
    I've also developed a 10% scolosis, which might be a combination of my osteoarthritis and the osteoporosis..since either one can cause that curve. In either case it does cause achy-breaky back feelings.
    I want this degeneration stopped.

I have no thyroid problem, I don't have RA. The threads I've read concern people with a combination of osteoporosis and another disease.
    In the threads I see the problems, but no answers other than not taking the pills is posted. I do see advice such as take fish oil and hope a lot. But I am allergic to fish. That answer would cause more problems than I can handle.

If I don't take the pills then HOW do I stop this shrinking of my height?
    How do I stop the curving of my spine that has already begun?

The thread I refer to is strictly about Fosamax and has nothing to do with thyroidism or anything else. It is not only a very long thread but continues for a few days by this particular person. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly where to go. I, too, have shrunk but I have also decreased my Dexa scores by using just alternative methods. Question: Do you do regular weight bearing exercise?

Old 12-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
    eve_hmmkr

eve_hmmkr HB User

snowmelts -- you seem to be desperate for info, yet you reject outright (without reading) what Gillian Sanson has to say in her book (The Myths of Osteoporosis). Don't buy it - borrow it from your library just like I did. Give it a chance, you cannot loose. The book promotes weight bearing exercises (especially weight lifting!) and healthy diet for strengthening the bones, plus provides more and better researched information on osteo than any other source I have seen. Best wishes......Eve

Old 12-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Tha food and excersice advice is good. I have a lot of food allergies but I try to keep it balanced. I am sure I eat too many brownies though! Everyone has a vice and at least mine involves chocolate!

I do take suppliments.

I don't do a "specific" regementated excercise program of any sort every day. I cannot drive in winter or on wet roads in any season (because of the PN) and there is NO season when I can afford joining and going to any form of excercise club.

Swimming is out too since I stop breathing in pools with clorene bleach.. and all public pools have that.

But I do some a little bit of excerciseing at home.

I have taken PT for the OA (osteoarthritis) in my lower spine and I continue those excercises at home.

I have picked up a few OA excercise books as well as beginning Yoga book especially for the back which has takes into account the need to watch BOTH OA and osteoporosis (since an excercise for one may be determental to the other)

-- oh yeah I read, even own, a lot of books about my physical problems that is why I say mostly the books are not truely unbiased. True that you can gain general knowledge on the medical subject but always keep in mind that every writer hopes to sell books you know -- I don't dismiss them at all but I also don't dismiss medication when it helps and I like to read unbiased proof, like medical studies..

I can't do a lot of leg things. I have sensory axonal pheripherial neuropathy (PN) and so the legs are not always happy useful limbs. I take a low doseage of Neurontin to mask pain from that for that, otherwise I would not be walking at all.

I have multiple seed corns embedded in both feet so walking a lot is out. Sometimes I'll walk around the apartment complex grounds and back. But not any really lenghty walk and of course I walk around when shopping.

I have bad OA is both knees so I cannot do impact excercises. Sometimes I DO use the excercise bike set at very low impact. I find I definately need to use the bike in the winter since I go outside less then and my knees do need the bending excercise or they get very stiff.

I have the small weights to lift (1, 2 & 3 lbs) but since I do the shopping for myself and my elderly mother I think I left enough weight in the way of grocery bags that I rarely use the weights. I am TRYING to remind myself not lift from my back but rather keep all the bag weight on my arms.
    (arms muscles..not wrists! I have DeQuevain's tendonities in both wrists)
    Mostly I play with holding the little weights up over my head while I watch TV when I think of useing them.

I do streching excerses but mostly I do those by doing simple housework like washing a window. I am sure housework counts. Of course the Yoga stuff is stretching too.

I use a knee contour pillow between the legs right above the knee when I sleep to help keep my skeletal system better lined up. Believe it or not this simple pillow has relieved a HUGE amount of morning back pain for me. I have OA all up my spine and the lower spine was painful 24/7 untill I discovered this pillow. I love this pillow!

My excerscises have been geared to help eleviate my OA pains ..but I am careful not to do the OA excercises that are determental to the osteoporosis problem. I know you should use your knees when bending instead of your back but my knees won't do that one!

Sorry I have multiple disabilites and so I kind of have to not do some recommended things for one problem because a diff problem prevents it. sometimes it's a case of "darned if you do and darned if you don't".

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-15-2004 at 05:45 PM.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #12
    jasmine1313

jasmine1313 HB User

I ordered the book "Myths of Osteoporosis" from ****** after reading your earlier post, and skimmed over it last night. That was the best $17 I have spent in quite a while, and confirms for me that the big "Osteoporosis" scare is yet (with obvious exceptions for legitimate cases) another "invented disease" to benefit the Pharmaceutical companies.

I think it bears repeating that having low bone mineral density does NOT mean that your bones are structurally unsound or fragile. The fact that low BMD is being used as the criteria to diagnose Osteoporosis is just wrong, and should be based on bones that fracture after minimal trauma, as the book states had been done in the past (conveniently before the creation of drugs like Fosamax).

Old 12-16-2004, 06:50 AM   #13
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasmine1313
    I ordered the book "Myths of Osteoporosis" from ****** after reading your earlier post, and skimmed over it last night. That was the best $17 I have spent in quite a while, and confirms for me that the big "Osteoporosis" scare is yet (with obvious exceptions for legitimate cases) another "invented disease" to benefit the Pharmaceutical companies.

Yes indeed! And it would help if more people started speaking out against these practices.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM   #14
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: FOSAMAX sideeffect...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peregrine
    I, too, have shrunk but I have also decreased my Dexa scores by using just alternative methods.
    Peregrine:

Would you mind sharing with us your before/after Dexa scores? I'm on Forteo due to multiple fractures within three months with no trauma whatsoever.

Oldbones

Old 12-31-2004, 05:15 AM   #15
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldbones
    Peregrine:

Would you mind sharing with us your before/after Dexa scores? I'm on Forteo due to multiple fractures within three months with no trauma whatsoever.

Oldbones
    2002: spine -3.0 hip -2.0

2003: spine -2.7 hip -1.9

I am now due for another scan. Read The Myth of Osteoporosis to put this test in its proper perspective.

Closed Thread