It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Forteo users, help.....best injection site?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Forteo users, help.....best injection site?????

I am going to start Forteo probably on Friday, whenever my script. arrives and I get it filled. My question, where have you found are the best places for injection with the least amount problems,(pain) etc... Do most people use the abdomen or the thigh?? Be hard to pinch the arm and give injection to yourself. Anyway, I would appreciate any answers as I am still a little apprensive about this whole thing although I know I need to do it as I do not want to went up like my poor Mom and I am traveling down the same path as far as bone mass is concerned. Thanks so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
    Forteo User
    (female)

Forteo User HB User
    Re: Forteo users, help.....best injection site?????

Hi thinbones,
    I've been injecting 6 months now. I had to attend a training session and the nurse showed each of us how to inject using a rubber ball and then had us do our first injection right there. She only suggested the abdomen so I have continued with that. I try to alternate sides each day. Sometimes I get a little red patch (especially the first few weeks) but now I seldom get that. Also, sometimes I get a slight bruise when I hit a little blood vessel. There is really no pain to speak of.

Good luck with your injections! Let us know how you do.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User

I don't take it, but I have heard the abdomen is the easiest/least painful. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

I thought the abdomen would be more tender and did it in my thigh for the first two weeks -- no big deal but a little painful, like getting a shot, which you are. Sometimes the injection site was a little sore to the touch for a day or two but if I didn't press it, I didn't really feel anything much once the shot was over.

After reading several posts here from people who used the abdomen, I got up my nerve and tried it. Much better! Almost don't feel it at all -- during the shot and after. My thighs are more muscular, so going into some flab seems to work better. Like others here, I sometimes hit a little blood vessel and see a drop of blood, but rarely. Sometimes I see a red blotch for a few hours at the injection site, but not always. Most of the time, it just feels like a tiny pinch that goes away quickly.

I guess everyone has to experiment and try different locations to see what's best for them. Best of luck -- it's not as bad as it sounds.

My doctor was high on adding strength training exercise to my life, so I'm doing that too.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks so much for your advice, I was thinking abdomen but I am not going to Medical center for first injection due to distance and I am comfortable with the shot itself being in the medical field. They give very explicit instruction for the pen so I will have someone read it to me the first couple of times before I use it. I had horrible problems with lower back pain the past year but since I have started yoga, I am so much stronger it is almost a little scary. Still need to build strength and want to do some weight training but my MD scared me with using weights. Going for my yearly scan next week so will see if I have slid further down or maintained as I have taken nothing, just exercise, I cannot tolerate calcium or milk, just lots of vege's, etc. Good luck! Oh, is it normal to have bloodwork 6 weeks after the first injection?? Guess they want to test calcium level and PTH, those are my guesses anyway.....

Old 03-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinBones
    Thanks so much for your advice, I was thinking abdomen but I am not going to Medical center for first injection due to distance and I am comfortable with the shot itself being in the medical field. They give very explicit instruction for the pen so I will have someone read it to me the first couple of times before I use it. I had horrible problems with lower back pain the past year but since I have started yoga, I am so much stronger it is almost a little scary. Still need to build strength and want to do some weight training but my MD scared me with using weights. Going for my yearly scan next week so will see if I have slid further down or maintained as I have taken nothing, just exercise, I cannot tolerate calcium or milk, just lots of vege's, etc. Good luck! Oh, is it normal to have bloodwork 6 weeks after the first injection?? Guess they want to test calcium level and PTH, those are my guesses anyway.....
    I have a bad back too, and the trainer is working with me. She's not letting me use weights that are too heavy. We're mostly using adjustable machines that they have in the gym for pulling weights down, forward, etc. She's also doing balance exercises (best not to fall!), and some work on one of those big exercise balls.

My doctor ordered blood work for a few days after I started with the pen, to see if the drug would cause my blood calcium level to go too high. After that, he told me to have blood/urine tests about three months later -- which would give him some information on metabolism and if the drug seems to be doing something. I really don't know the information he will glean from these tests. He doesn't want me to have a repeat DEXA for about 19 months. He said Forteo doesn't show results on those tests for about that long. Beats me. I believe that others here have posted about repeat tests a lot sooner than that in which they saw positive results.

The instructions that come with the starter kit with the first pen that my doctor gave me were very clear and easy to understand. My kit also came with a video demonstration on using the pen. Since you are in the medical field, I don't imagine it will be complicated for you. Those of us who are now using the pen can also explain anything that seems confusing.

Closed Thread