It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Dexa-scan results....depressing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Dexa-scan results....depressing

I had my dexa-scan last week and am not too happy with my scores. I have been doing yoga and weights for the past 8 months so I had am image of at least stable scores. What is ward's triangle? My hip has never been too bad, usually just shows mild to moderate osteopenia. The report says severe osteopenia in wards triangle. Also the tech that did my scan said that my L-4 vertebrae was much smaller than the others and my results show that my score at that point is -3.7 My back hurt after I read the report, I'm sure it was just in my head but that was depressing. I am on the brighter side, taking Forteo now (last 2 weeks) and I guess this reinforces my need for it. I am only 48 and I can see myself with barely a skeleton left by the time I am 70. Thanks for letting me vent, just so sure that my scores would be better for this scan..... Anyone else have these kind of results???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Dexa-scan results....depressing

Thinbones -
    Sorry to hear that your DEXA scores weren't more encouraging. I think the Forteo will help alot as it has in most people I know who are using it. I've had slow improvement in bone density though I wish it was happen quicker. I had the same question about the Ward's Triangle after my last one. Apparently, it's another place to measure bone density but my doctor said that nobody really goes by that because it's always alot worse than the other readings. Someone will come along with a more medical description of it. Look for more improvement after your next DEXA.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Sorry to hear that you're depressed after your scan. Your spine is similar to mine and I also had that (phantom, I think) back pain when I learned about my score.

I'm banking on the combination of forteo and exercise. My doctor said you have to be patient with forteo with respect to bone scans -- that the improvement doesn't show until about 19 months. Something about how the bone doesn't mineralize and show up on the scan but the growth is occurring. Too technical for me, but I guess I will follow his advice and not rush for another scan.

It's very hard to wait to see results. I'm sure we're all dying to get that scan that shows significant improvement.

My doctor recommended strengthening my trunk muscles -- I guess they help support the back, so I'm working with a trainer at the gym. I also have lower back problems - probably disk related, and I'm already feeling an improvement there. Hope it's all working. I miss my more-couch-potato life, but I guess that's a thing of the past. I guess it's what got me to this state, partially, so it has to go.

I hope forteo and exercise will be successful for all of us. Hang in there.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Spinewhine - sounds like you are taking the same approach I am, which is good for both of us. I am doing gentle yoga and working with weight machines to also strengthen my back and arms, very weak area for me. I feel as you do that I have to do this for a healthy life from here on. Guess I am really lucky to know what my problems are now unlike my Mom who had no idea and there was no Forteo. Here's to keeping us motivated and to healthy back's!! Let me know how you are doing....
    Thanks for the feedback and I am now after 3 weeks of Forteo almost giving injections with my eyes closed (well, not quite) but it is not such a daunting task, that's for sure!!

Old 04-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

My husband, who is much less squeamish than I am about needles, gets sort of freaked if he walks in on me giving myself the needle in the lower belly. He just thinks the thigh would be less sensitive. It's funny, but the belly is much better. I'm a pro now, as you will be soon, if you're not already.

I seem to be sticking (literally), to the same spot mostly -- the lower abdomen on the right side, since I'm a righty and I don't have to reach awkwardly for my left side.

I remember reading somewhere that you should move around some. I assume that's to avoid soreness and not because the medicine needs to go in different places. Anyone have any info on this. So far, I'm not sore at all in my favorite spot so I'm staying in that general vicinity.

Last edited by spinewhine; 04-23-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

My husband, who is much less squeamish than I am about needles, gets sort of freaked if he walks in on me giving myself the needle in the lower belly. He just thinks the thigh would be less sensitive. It's funny, but the belly is much better. I'm a pro now, as you will be soon, if you're not already.

I seem to be sticking (literally), to the same spot mostly -- the lower abdomen on the right side, since I'm a righty and I don't have to reach awkwardly for my left side.

I remember reading somewhere that you should move around some. I assume that's to avoid soreness and not because the medicine needs to go in different places. Anyone have any info on this. So far, I'm not sore at all in my favorite spot

Old 04-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

SpineWhine,
    The Nurse showing me how to do the injections said to inject in different places so the skin doesn't break down. Remember, most people are doing injections daily for almost 2 years. Sometimes it seems like I can't find a new place but I just try to rotate from left to right every other shot.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taape
    SpineWhine,
    The Nurse showing me how to do the injections said to inject in different places so the skin doesn't break down. Remember, most people are doing injections daily for almost 2 years. Sometimes it seems like I can't find a new place but I just try to rotate from left to right every other shot.
    Thanks for the information, Taape. I guess I should move around. Since I've only been doing the belly for a few weeks, I don't see any effect on my skin, but I'll go for a little variation.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

I also already have a favorite spot. My left abdomen is not comfortable. I gave myself in injection right on my almost invisible scar for an appendectomy 20 years ago and that is when it hurt, got red and I still have a little bruise there. So, I use my right side. I dont' think it matters at all unless you have soreness, the absorption should be the same, they are such little needles. I think soreness and redness would let us know if we needed to move to somewhere else....

Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

Thinbones - Sorry that your test was disappointing. I know that we all are anxiously waiting for results, the sooner the better.

After two weeks on Forteo, it is almost becoming second nature (not quite!) to give myself the injections. I have not gotten up nerve yet to try the abdomen although many of you have reported that you thought it was better. Somehow, it seems like it would be more tender, but I never thought I would be able to stick myself at all, so I think I will get there eventually.
    I don't have a favorite spot as yet and try to move it around, but I don't like using the inside of my right thigh. It seems awkward somehow and the two times I have used it I have ended up with a nasty bruise.

I'm to go for blood work after a month, and I don't know if the doctor is going to give me another prescription until after the blood work. I have to check on that. So far, so good, I quess.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:07 AM   #11
    bonehead
    (male)

bonehead HB User

Sounds to me like the tech should NOT be interpreting your results. No one really uses the Wards Triangle. Also, you don't just go to the worse vertebra in the scan. It is the average of L1-L4. Also, if you weren't positioned correctly or it was a different tech....this can affect the result.

In addition, the current data would suggest that if you maintain your BMD...ie: don't lose anymore...then you have probably reduced your fracture risk. So, just maintaining and stabilizing your BMD is a good thing.

Good luck.

Closed Thread