It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Vibration therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Vibration therapy

Has anyone tried "vibration therapy" for osteoporosis?

I have been reading about vigration helping bones to strengthen the same as exercise does.

Found one on internet called "Power Plate", very expensive but if it really works would be worth it.

Apparently some therapy places use the vibration therapy.

I am still suffering side effects and allergic reactions to Actonel even tho I stopped back about April 25. Actonel literally poisoned my whole body. The pain in feet is still severe and have no idea how long it will last. Sure hope it is not forever. Still hurt all over and the acid reflux is only a little better. Wish I had known more about this type med before taking it for 6 weeks, once a week.

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Vibration therapy

I just recently read about the vibration therapy on an osteoporosis group e-mail list. The person mentioning it was doing really well w/it but she, of course, was also on calcium supplements, etc. but NOT taking Actonel/Fosamax or Forteo. I don't remember her full regimen of meds and exercise.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
    bonehead
    (male)

bonehead HB User

I believe that this work was either done by or supported by NASA. They were interested in maintaining bone mass and muscle strength in the astronauts when they have extended stays in space.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Could the vibrations actually cause fractures?

Old 06-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It is suppose to be a mild vibration, not like a jackhammer type.

The Power Plate info:

kW - 0.8
    Hz - 35
    generated force - 3.91 (G-force)
    Amplitude - mm - 2-4, 4-6

Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I just happened on some information on vibration therapy today regarding the device known as the "Power-Plate", supposedly in use over the last 5 years, saying it has become a vital part of rehabilitation and physiotherapy centers, fitness centers, resorts and beauty institutes.

The claims are that it builds up bone mineral density and is a good remedy for Osteoporosis. It also supposedly enhances pain reduction, accelerates weight loss, reduces cellulite, improves collagen production, reduces lower back pain and rehabilitates injuries and ailments. Also builds up muscle strength and performance, eliminates stress and enhances critical blood flow throughout the body and increases the oxygen consumption content in the body by up to 400%.

The claim is that 10 Minutes of exercise is all you need to allocate to enjoy the maximum result in the least amount of time.

What's the old saying? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. On the other hand, I did find one abstract at PubMed about vibration therapy which was just to determine the scale of comfort for what they referred to as the Power Spectrum Density. The subjects sat on a flat, horizontal metal plate mounted directly on the vibrator and were exposed to vertical vibrations before being asked to choose a numerical category to best indicate their perceived level of comfort (or otherwise) during each stimulus. PMID: 15732327 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Has anyone actually encountered a gym or rehabilitation program or physical therapy clinic that utilizes vibration therapy?? Pardon my skepticism but like I said: if it sounds too good to be true .... it just sounds toooooo easy. Only 10 minutes a day???

Old 06-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #7
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Well, I changed my search parameters and came up with the following abstracts:

Jan 2005
    PMID: 15732327 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mar 2004
    PMID: 15040822 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mar 2004
    PMID: 15040821 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Nov 2004
    PMID: 15167985 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dec 2003
    PMID: 14652479 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMID: 14594190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mar 2002
    PMID: 11898823 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    (As of the date of this abstract tests among astronauts have been proposed, but none are scheduled).

Fall 1984
    PMID: 6400201 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I wish it was that easy to grow bone and we could forget taking all these medications. Somehow it's hard to believe.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 AM   #9
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I know what you mean, taape!!! Always in the back of my mind is the old saying: if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Still, in a situation like mine where I can't even "do" 500 mg of calcium supplementation and have to rely on my "diet" to get calcium plus a problem with nutritional absorption thru the intestines .... I've e-mailed my new Endo to ask him about it plus I'm thinking of calling some of the local physio rehab places and local gyms, etc. to see if any of them are utilizing vibration therapy at all. What the hay, I should be on some form of exercise anyway. What is 10 minutes out of an hour of exercise? At least that is 50 minutes more exercise than I am doing now 3 times a week.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wonder if sitting on a foot massager (vibrating) would do the same thing as the Power Plate? Might be worth a try, and cheap, especially if you already have one.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #11
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Interesting thought, Marie!!!

Actually, my Endo wasn't too impressed at this point. He said it looked like it might be promising for reducing or preventing further bone loss but none of the medical abstracts saw any benefit for bone growth with vibration therapy. Of course, I don't see too much interest in this by the medical companies since drugs are much more financially beneficial to them than some machine with a decently long life, especially given the cost of good clinical trials to establish results that would satisfy FDA, etc.

However, all of our osteoporosis meds whether bisphosphonate or PTH type have had their good results in clinical trials which have included calcium and vitamin D supplementation. The calcium supplementation is the one thing I "can't" do, unfortunately. I mean Viactiv would be so simple for me instead of those big horse pills. Sigh. So I'd be willing to spend the $75 initiation fee and $40 monthly fee to some gym/physical training joint IF they offered vibration therapy. But no one in this area - so far - even knows what the devil I am talking about. So I can't say I am any too impressed with the Power Plate claims of being a vital part of rehabilitation and physiotherapy centers, fitness centers, resorts and beauty institutes. Certainly NOT in MY area of Michigan!

So I'm back to considering taking the risk of trying to balance "some" calcium with "some" magesium WITHOUT upsetting my Crohn's disease applecart. I'm at the very least in symptomatic remission if not full remission with this Crohn's and I intend to stay there if at all possible. One battle almost "down" and now I feel I can spend more time educating myself and trying to "beat" the osteoporosis "battle" as well.

Last edited by CrohnieToo; 06-30-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Glad to hear that your Chrohn's is in remission. Good luck with the calcium. Have you started Forteo yet? Since you have already left your needlephobia behind, you'll do swimmingly!

Old 07-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I"m still in limbo with this new Endo on when I am to start the Forteo and who is to script it, the Endo or my family doctor. Sheesh! Sometimes I think I could get things done faster by going thru med school myself!!!

Closed Thread