It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• osteoporus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
    Dee77
    (female)

Dee77 HB User
    osteoporus

I am 47 been in perimenopause for 3 yrs. recently had a bone scan(and never thought it would happen to me) since i have always take a cal/mag supplement. I have 30 percent bone loss, recently added d. I have noticed I have been aching more and more tired. when i bump my arm or knee or something a lump forms and wont go away. All my reading done on this, i dont know does calcium really fix it or is this really the cause of it. I have always wondered about parathyroid. not even sure why i need calcium levels were normal, so how come i have osteoporus??am on hormones now.i have just been hurting more lately and tired alot. just calcium levels were tested.
    mom in law has it too and is getting worse despite the supplements and even the meds. she is also on high levels of d vitamin and her d levels are dropping.
    how do you know it would be a paratyhroid problem?
    what really causes this issue?
    what can one do?
    i am active-what other exercises can i do? I am serious what really causes this? I have a neice that is a nurse and says you can overdose on calcium and should not supplement cause it is in alot of foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: osteoporus

Hi,
    I was shocked to find out that I had it also. I had no idea, no pain, nothing. Did you have a DEXA scan for bone density or a bone scan? These are two different tests. Were you given a T Score? Did your doctor order any treatment for you? Medications, supplements, exercise? There are several causes of osteoporosis including heredity, deficiencies in Vit D, etc., natural aging, side effects of Steriod medications, not consuming enough calcium through food or supplements and there are more. There are tests for parathyroid and blood levels of Calcium, etc., Someone will come along with more information I'm sure. I'm sorry it's causing you pain. It doesn't cause me pain. If you give us more information we may be able to help you more.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

There are two forms of calcium that can be detected by blood draw: serum calcium and ionized calcium. One binds with the proteins in blood, the other is free of the proteins. That's about all I really remember from all the reading I was doing (mostly on osteomalacia, it relationship (if any) to osteoporosis) and hyperparathyroidism. There are also two forms of vitamin D that can be tested by blood draw: vitamin D25 hydroxy (calcidiol) and vitamin D1 25 hydroxy (calcitriol) and the results of one is more indicative of your true state of vitamin D level than the other. When my former Endocrinologist suspected that I had osteomalacia as well as osteoporosis and secondary hypoparathyroidism the blood draws she initiated were the Parathyroid hormone intact with ionized calcium, vitamin D 25 hydroxy and serum calcium. Prior to starting me on Forteo (or even IV pamidronate) she wanted my PTH level below 30 (normal reference range 10-65) and my vitamin D 25 hydroxy level (reference range 10-68) higher but she never said how high she wanted the D 25 hydroxy (mine was running 32 at the time) nor why. She is an excellent Endo who really knows her stuff, is great with patients in the office with answering questions, patience, etc. - BUT - her desk dragons were a disaster and there was no getting answers to questions, etc. except when you saw her in person. I wasn't the only one who had this problem and have since talked to others who all agree she was wonderful but her office was a disaster and they've changed Endos as well. Questioning your doctor until you understand is best, but internet searches (watch for the HON code seal) and PubMed searches can be a great help in understanding and in contemplating your options.

Last edited by CrohnieToo; 06-23-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
    Dee77
    (female)

Dee77 HB User

I am not sure if it was a bone scan or the dexa. t-score is 3.5
    she wanted me to take fosomax(due to alot of financial issues can not afford the med) 1500 of calcium and 800 of d is all she said. not sure on what forms. calcium constipates me.
    nothing on exercise diet. Just serum calcium was taken that was a 10 with a 10 being the highest on the normal levels. how do you test for the other calcium test and no she did not do any other tests. how should i proceed from here. should i ask for the ionized test and any other? my calcium is a hyvee brand with calcium carbonate, vitamin d wiht magnesium in it.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dee77
    I am not sure if it was a bone scan or the dexa. t-score is 3.5
    she wanted me to take fosomax(due to alot of financial issues can not afford the med) 1500 of calcium and 800 of d is all she said. not sure on what forms. calcium constipates me.
    nothing on exercise diet. Just serum calcium was taken that was a 10 with a 10 being the highest on the normal levels. how do you test for the other calcium test and no she did not do any other tests. how should i proceed from here. should i ask for the ionized test and any other? my calcium is a hyvee brand with calcium carbonate, vitamin d wiht magnesium in it.
    Calcium carbonate is not one of the recommended calcium supplements. You might try taking a little extra magnesium if your having problems with constipation. Some sources say equal amounts cal/mag, others more cal than mag and still others, more mag than cal. I go with the latter

Old 06-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
    Johnster
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Johnster HB User

Dee77,

Just commenting out of concern. As I’m sure many here will agree there are many possible normal causes for this. Unfortunately woman in general get this more often then men because hormones are an incredible factor. Their bones are also generally thinner then men’s too. When asking what else could be causing this that is a valid question especially at 47. From age 38 to 41 I went thru a series of breaks throughout my vertebrae. Assuming it was from a prior auto accident and stubbornness kept me from going in. Finally when I was obviously shrinking I went in. Being a 41-year-old male with back and hip dexa T scores of –1.9 to –3.9 they went on a mission to find the cause. Normal and common causes are smoking, alcohol consumption and cola’s and carbonated drinks. They are generally slow and common reasons for bone loss. I was tested for thyroid; all kinds of hormone imbalances, Blood PH. “Acidity in the blood too can eat bone like crazy I guess”. Cushing’s syndrome is another cause for bone loss as well. I was tested for every cause there is for Osteoporosis. My cause was from one of two extremely rare other diseases.

As far as the calcium intake. Yes too much has bad side effects like nausea and dizziness too. I agree that magnesium and zinc should also be added or considered. I still get concerned with my calcium intake because of the risk of developing kidney stones. I guess at this point the later is less important though. In any case I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

Good Luck and God Bless To You All

JohnD

Old 06-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Dee77,
    If your score from the scan was 3.5 you probably had a DEXA bone density scan and the T Score was probably (minus)-3.5. If that's the case then your T Score is bad enough like mine to qualify for being treated with Forteo. I met all the FDA guidelines except for a fracture. If your doctor recommends this medication it is possible to get it free of cost through the Eli Lilly Company if you qualify financially. It's worth checking out.

Closed Thread