It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Forteo...injection site help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Forteo...injection site help

I have been on Forteo for about 3 months and really very comfortable with the injections but the only place I use in the abdomen area. I would like to try someplace else. The other night, it hurt a little more than usual and I have quite a bruise in the area, obviously I hit a small vessel. Anyone used their legs, arms, etc? Some injections I barely feel, others hurt more but it would be nice to rotate sites a little more. Also, to those of you on Forteo longer, how often do you have bloodwork drawn and see MD? I am going to MD in August, dont really know why, it will have been six months and I know I won't have a dexa-scan. I can understand needing bloodwork again maybe but I have to pay out of pocket for these visits as my insurance won't cover my osteo. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Forteo...injection site help

ThinBones,
    The only injection site I've used is my abdomen but the instructions indicate you can use your thigh also. The clinical trials only had patients using those 2 injection sites and I would stay with that to make sure it's effective. I wish I knew why these areas were recommended.In the beginning I wanted to do injections in the most fatty area like my butt so it wouldn't hurt and it didn't matter if there are permanent stick marks.Sometime I get big bruises also. I'm having blood work done every 6 months but I wish it was more often just to be sure everything is ok. My insurance pays for frequent blood tests but I live far away from the hospital so I'm sticking with 6 month intervals until my next appointment.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

I've been on Forteo for four months now. I started giving myself the injections on my upper thigh because the abdomen sounded yucky -- like it would be more tender. After reading posts here that the abdomen was better, I tried the abdomen and pretty much stayed there. Then, one day, I saw a row of little black and blue bruises across by abdomen and decided it was time for some variation. I went for the softer skin on the inner thigh, to avoid going into muscle. That was OK. Whether it's the abdomen or thigh, sometimes it hurts and sometimes I hardly feel it. I guess it just depends on where there are more nerve endings. Sometimes, when I feel I'm going into a spot that hurts and I haven't injected yet, I just move to a different spot. I ease the needle in rather than jab. If it goes in easy, that's where I stay.

The literature with the pen said to use the thigh or abdomen. My doctor told me that anyplace would really be fine -- it's just that the thigh and abdomen were used in the clinical trials. I'm sticking with the literature though.

My doctor sent me for blood/urine labs after 3 months and then said to do them again in another 3 months. I called for the results and got a call back from the nurse or officer manager or whatever, who left a message that the results were "perfect." Of course, I don't know what that means. Anyway, I'm continuing as before and will do follow up tests in another two months.

My doctor said not to have another bone scan for about 18 months after the one I got in December that resulted in my finding out that I have this disease. He said Forteo works slowly and the results won't show before that. Others on this board have gotten different information and have had follow up bone density tests much sooner. Since your insurance doesn't pay, I guess there's no reason to rush for more tests than necessary.

Why doesn't your insurance cover osteo? Seems like a genuine enough disease to those of us battliing it.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks for your responses, I guess what I am experiencing is pretty normal. I know I would have a very hard time doing this, not because of the needle thing, but injecting medication into me every night but I have vivid memories of my poor Mom suffering from multiple fractures and pain. I look at this medication as my possible savour. I'm not big on taking medication of any kind but when you need it....you need it!! My insurance changed a few years ago, after full coverage for over 20 years, we are now self employed and as soon as I wrote on the application I had osteoporosis, they excluded me from that diagnosis.... Does not seem fair, thats for sure. Almost makes me wish I was a little less honest, especially since I was pretty young when we changed insurance. Guess I will continue using the abdomen area and will call MD before my appt. in August and see if I can just have bloodwork instead of visit also. Certainly cannot look at me and see if medication is working and don't want to pay for just a chat!!! Thanks again for info, nice to be able to talk to other people taking medication, makes me feel better somehow.....

Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

ThinBones,
    Like you, I have been on Forteo for three months and have finally gotten pretty comfortable giving myself an injection. I have only used my thighs so far. Several people on this board have said that they like the stomach better, but I have not been able to bring myself to inject there as yet; it just seems to me that it would be more tender. I try to use a different leg each time and pinch the skin up and put the needle in, gently not stab. Sometimes it does hurt a little and other times it doesn't. I don't know why that is. A few times I have drawn a little blood and a couple of times I have gotten a bruise. I, too, hate having to take medicines, but I don't want to end up a crippled old lady, so I'm hoping this was the right decision.
    I had blood work done at the end of the first month; my doctor hasn't said when I need to have it done again. I can emphasize with you about the insurance. My husband was laid off for about two years. After Cobra, we tried to get some insurance. They turned me down when they found out I had osteoporosis. Fortunately, my husband got a job and we have coverage again. If not, I probably wouldn't be on Forteo.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

ThinBones,

Regarding your ins. co.'s refusal to cover your osteo-related bills, do you mind telling me if there was ever a gap between your old employer-based coverage and your private insurance? I thought that if there was no gap in coverage, an ins. co. couldn't cite pre-existing conditions as a reason to deny any benefits.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

No, there was no gap between insurance, we went from group insurance to private and they just refused to cover me unless the osteo. was excluded. I guess they can do this or just deny coverage. We had such wonderful coverage for 20 years that I almost took it for granted.....no more....

Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

ThinBones, I would still do a check of this with your State's Insurance Commission. I really was under the impression that this was a federal ruling on continuous insurance coverage whether group to private or not. Good luck and God bless.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

I'm with Chronie on this one, ThinBones. It wouldn't hurt to make some inquiries.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
    Zoluv2
    (female)

Zoluv2 HB User
    Question Re: Forteo...injection site help

Does any one know any thing about the calcetonin injections?????/

Last edited by Zoluv2; 07-14-2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

Prior to your post, Zoluv2, I was not aware of calcitonin administered in other than intranasal form. Here is a link to a brief description of the injected form(s) from MedlinePlus:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202106.html

Has your doctor discussed this option for you or a loved one?

Old 07-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #12
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

****CAUTION**** NOT FOR CHRONIE'S EYES ****WARNING****

I've been using Forteo for about ten days now. I started out using my thigh, which hurt more than the nurse-practitioner had told me it would ("You really won't feel the needle at all!"); switched over to my abdomen, which startred to hurt after the first night or two; plus I was starting to draw blood. Nobody ever said anything about blood!

So, back to the thigh again, but I held my leg in a different position, and it really didn't hurt at all. I thought I was set for life, until the next night, when it hurt again, and the night after that when I started bleeding again.

What is happening? I went about six or seven nights without seeing the b-word at all, and now I'm practically donating the stuff!

Old 07-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #13
    dmarlowphc
    (female)

dmarlowphc HB User
    Exclamation Re: Forteo...injection site help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatNJ
    ****CAUTION**** NOT FOR CHRONIE'S EYES ****WARNING****

I've been using Forteo for about ten days now. I started out using my thigh, which hurt more than the nurse-practitioner had told me it would ("You really won't feel the needle at all!"); switched over to my abdomen, which startred to hurt after the first night or two; plus I was starting to draw blood. Nobody ever said anything about blood!

So, back to the thigh again, but I held my leg in a different position, and it really didn't hurt at all. I thought I was set for life, until the next night, when it hurt again, and the night after that when I started bleeding again.

What is happening? I went about six or seven nights without seeing the b-word at all, and now I'm practically donating the stuff!
    Hi PatNJ,
    Anytime you give yourself an injection, when you stick the needle in...always pull back the plunger to make sure you haven't hit a blood vein. If blood comes into the syringe when you pull back on the plunger then you need to change the needle and move to a new injection site. You change the needle to prevent cross contamination or causing an infection at the injection site and always clean the site before giving yourself a shot. You don't want to get a staph infection. It can be gotten from something as simple as a paper cut and is extremely hard and expensive to get rid of.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

PatNJ,
    I've occasionally drawn a bit of blood if I hit a blood vessel. I've never had more than a drop or two come out. Sometimes I get a black and blue mark bruise at the injection site too. Others here have posted about the same. I don't think it's a big deal. I just put a piece of tissue over it and it stops.

I've sometimes started to put the needle in where it really hurts. I followed Taape's advice to just start over and find another spot. I find if I really ease the needle through the surface of the skin, then, if I find a suitably flabby spot (we never thought we'd like that stuff, right?) it just slides in the rest of the way.
    I'm not saying it never hurts anymore, but most of the time a real bad shot is avoidable.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Awww right, you guys!!! Enuff, wait until after Tuesday for these gory details already!

Closed Thread