It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Osteoporosis and Total Knee Replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
    Jade4u
    (female)

Jade4u HB User
    Osteoporosis and Total Knee Replacement

My 81-year-old grandmother has just been told by her doctor that she needs to have a Total Knee Replacement. I am concerned about this, as she also has osteoporosis. I am not sure of the severity of her osteoporosis, but she does have a Dowager's Hump and is unable to take any kind of medication like Fosamx or Actonel, due to the side-effects.

Has anyone else here had Total Knee Replacement while suffering from osteoporosis? I am so afraid that the new knee won't "take" and may even cause further damage to her already deteriorating bones. I've always been a bit skeptical of Army docs to begin with... and she is unable to get a second opinion, due to the limits of her military retiree insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
    Jade4u
    (female)

Jade4u HB User
    Re: Osteoporosis and Total Knee Replacement

Bump, please.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
    Glavas
    (female)

Glavas HB User

I had a total knee replacement last October while on Boniva. I don't think the drug did any harm nor did the osteoporosis. Boniva did not improve my condition, however. My bone scan showed no improvement.

The knee replacement involved a great deal of pain, much more than I would have expected. Your grandmother should be made aware of this. I think if I had been mentally prepared it would not have been as bad. I thought it wouldn't be worse than a broken leg, but itwas! You have to move it, excercise it, stand on it and participate in physical therapy almost immediately after surgery.

Diana

Old 08-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Glavas,
    Did the Boniva cause you any stomach upset or problems?

Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
    Barbarraz
    (female)

Barbarraz HB User

My 78-year old mother has osteoporosis and had two knee replacement surgeries. The first one was fine, but the second one went very badly. She had a cracked femur about 6 weeks after surgery, which we believe was caused by the knee replacement hardware attached to her femur. As the bone density is low, this could be the reason why the femur broke. It caused her to have another surgery and much pain. The doctor says her leg will never be normal again. She walks without aid now but very slowly. I think she would not go through another surgery like this because it was so hard on her. This is my first posting, having just joined; I hope I did it correclty. I hope to learn much from everyone and maybe I can help others, too!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

My elderly mother is "not into" going to Dr's and finding out what is actually wrong with her.
    Her spine resembles and "S" curve and she has the horrid upper back hump.
    Her ankles are totally deteriorated and she braces she can wear but finds painful so she seldom does.
    ALL that and she has never had a spine Xray or MRI..
    no Dr has ever told her she has osteoporosis or even arthritis.
    ~sigh~
    BUT she has had both knees replaced.
    WHY?
    Well, she said, they were just crumbles and she couldn't walk on them.
    Asking a DR Why never dawns on her.

She had the first knee completely replaced when she was 64.
    I lived in another state then and did not see her till she was home again and walking in her normal way. She had stayed a month in rehab before coming home cuz she has to be able to climb 13 stairs to get into her apartment.

A couple years ago at age 76 she had the other knee completely replaced. This time recuperation was HARD. She spend 2 weeks in hospital rehab and then 8 weeks in a nurseing home rehab before she could come home. Even then Home Nurseing care came and checked on her for a while. Her energy never has returned.

She agrees that her energy has never returned after this last surgery.. it is just plain hard on the whole body as you reach and older age. BTW she is aperson with NO blood pressure, cholestrol, vscular, heart, or lung problems. She eats VERY healthy and has never drank or smoked. I consider her a bit of ahealth nut
    All that going for her and still recovery was very very hard at 76.

My experience of watching what she went through sure makes me dread when mine need done because I'm no way near the health nut that she is!
    I'm sure I'll be a mess, but mine thankfully don't need done yet.. though I do have osteoarthritis in them.

Last edited by snowmelts; 08-29-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Closed Thread