It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Osteoporosis Message Board

  • how do u get around forteo dangers?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
    imlb2
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    imlb2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 14
    imlb2 HB User
    how do u get around forteo dangers?

    i'm really curious about how all of you managed to get around the warnings... what pushed you over the fear of the osteosarcoma???

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 08-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
    spinewhine
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    spinewhine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 264
    spinewhine HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlb2
    i'm really curious about how all of you managed to get around the warnings... what pushed you over the fear of the osteosarcoma???
    Well, for one thing, the fear of getting compression fractures and being all hunched over and in pain, or of breaking my hip -- if it could otherwise be avoided -- pushed me over.

    Obviously, if I develop a BAD side effect from this drug, I'll really regret taking it, but I also thought, what if ten years down the line this is the front line treatment established to be safe and I didn't take it and was suffering when that didn't have to be. I think life is filled with "the road not taken" choices. You have to do the research, take a huge gulp, and follow your instincts.

    My doctor told me that Forteo had been tested in larger mammals without the increased osteosarcoma results -- it only showed up in rats, whose bones, unlike humans, continue to grow throughout their lives. Plus, they got pretty large doses too.

    I must say, I hadn't read "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Samson at that time -- a book recommended by people on this board. You should read it before deciding on a drug. The author makes a strong case for the position that osteoporosis and low bone density are not necessarily the same thing and that having low bone density doesn't necessarily mean you will develop fragility fractures. The author's family members all have low bone density and apparently are doing fine without medication.

    It's good food for thought.

    My endocrinologist was recommended by my gynecologist, who I trust. The endo was written up in New York Magazine's issue devoted to the best doctors in NYC as one of the best endos, so I that gave me some additional reason to believe he's pretty well regarded. I don't think he's just trying to make money for the drug industry. I think he's seen success with Forteo in terms of building bone density and it just seemed to make sense to take advantage of the only drug that appears to actually build bone. I also have good insurance so the drug is costing me very little, although it is ridiculously expensive if you have no coverage.

    I don't know anyone outside of cyberspace on the drug, so these boards have been a blessing. There are so many people here taking it, so we all get the benefit of everyone else's doctor's input and research as well.

    I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer that the medicine helps and doesn't do me any harm.

     
    Old 08-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    taape's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: California
    Posts: 2,704
    taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    I decided to take it because I need back surgery which I can't get until my bone density improves. Plus, I can't tolerate the biophosphates and this seemed like a good solution to that problem. I'm going to ask for a bone scan though just to see if there's any indication of osteosarcoma. I know one person who is also on Forteo that I speak with on the phone. That individual also was in the same situation as me, needing surgery and decided that this treatment would accelerate bone growth.

     
    Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
    imlb2
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    imlb2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 14
    imlb2 HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    thank you both so much for taking the time to reply. i hadn't heard of that book, so i'm really happy to get the recommendation. my physiatrist and others have said the same thing.. keep in mind that there is no way of knowing how many thousands? millions? of people are walking around w/ low bone density, who don't even know it, and who do NOT get fractures. as long as one is in a position to keep strengthening surrounding muscles, etc., it seems to me a good risk to take. i'll stay on the fosamax or actonel, kick up my calcium to 1500 supplemental mgs (not even counting the hit in the OJ), vitD, magnesium, boron, etc., keep up w/ resistance and weight bearing exercises. i wish you both (and others here who are on it) the very, very best of luck w/ forteo.

     
    Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
    BoneMan
    Member
    (male)
     
    BoneMan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: BC Canada
    Posts: 55
    BoneMan HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Sinewhine,
    Thank you very much.
    I believe you put Forteo into the correct perspective for all of us. I broke ribs, and severe tail bone break, and 2 vertibrae are compress fractured right now, so I know what the pain of this is all about.
    As a 53 year old male, I have lost 2", and have a slight upper back / neck hump, and my head is hard to hold straight, eyes up front. I don't want to get worst, and be looking at peoples feet the rest of my life.
    I have seen an improvement with 2 years on Fosomax, but if I all of a sudden slide down the T score scale, I have no problems taking Forteo.
    If you have never ever had a breakage, its hard to justify in your mind to take Forteo.

    Pain is a wonderful teacher / convincer.

     
    Old 08-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
    spinewhine
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    spinewhine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 264
    spinewhine HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoneMan
    Sinewhine,
    Thank you very much.
    I believe you put Forteo into the correct perspective for all of us. I broke ribs, and severe tail bone break, and 2 vertibrae are compress fractured right now, so I know what the pain of this is all about.
    As a 53 year old male, I have lost 2", and have a slight upper back / neck hump, and my head is hard to hold straight, eyes up front. I don't want to get worst, and be looking at peoples feet the rest of my life.
    I have seen an improvement with 2 years on Fosomax, but if I all of a sudden slide down the T score scale, I have no problems taking Forteo.
    If you have never ever had a breakage, its hard to justify in your mind to take Forteo.

    Pain is a wonderful teacher / convincer.

    I'm very glad to hear that you had success with Fosamax. My doctor thought Fosamax a safe and good option for hanging onto one's bone density, but not for getting significant gains. Our plan is for me to go on Fosamax after the two year period on Forteo. I hope I can tolerate it because so many on this board have had problems with it -- but that's a long way off. For now, I just want to continue with Forteo and hopefully not regret that choice.

     
    Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
    BoneMan
    Member
    (male)
     
    BoneMan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: BC Canada
    Posts: 55
    BoneMan HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Spinewhine.
    After 2 years on Fosomax my scores went from
    Hip 2.7, spine 3.3 to hip 2.4 , spine 2.7,
    So for me at least it working, with the addition of Calcium. I did within that time frame start a Calcium intake program, but just in the last few months increased it to 1,500 a day, from about half of that amount. I was way under that before because of my kidney stone issue.
    I think I would rather have kidney stones, than loose more height, and have another break.
    A stone will pass in hours, the break takes weeks, and in the case of my tailbone, years, and it still hurts.
    Last year I passed probably well over 30 stones, and had to have 4 surgically removed, piece of cake compared with breaks.

    My stone issue has been around since the 1980's, so its not a new developement.

    My thinking, due to my high blood calcium content, was that if I limited my Calcium intake, less stones.
    Well, you can't have you cake and eat it too, so maybe I should be called stoneman/boneman.

     
    Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
    spinewhine
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    spinewhine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 264
    spinewhine HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoneMan
    Spinewhine.
    After 2 years on Fosomax my scores went from
    Hip 2.7, spine 3.3 to hip 2.4 , spine 2.7,
    So for me at least it working, with the addition of Calcium. I did within that time frame start a Calcium intake program, but just in the last few months increased it to 1,500 a day, from about half of that amount. I was way under that before because of my kidney stone issue.
    I think I would rather have kidney stones, than loose more height, and have another break.
    A stone will pass in hours, the break takes weeks, and in the case of my tailbone, years, and it still hurts.
    Last year I passed probably well over 30 stones, and had to have 4 surgically removed, piece of cake compared with breaks.

    My stone issue has been around since the 1980's, so its not a new developement.

    My thinking, due to my high blood calcium content, was that if I limited my Calcium intake, less stones.
    Well, you can't have you cake and eat it too, so maybe I should be called stoneman/boneman.
    Sounds like you've been through a lot. I hope you continue to have success with Fosamax and that the stones don't torture you.

    I'll be on vacation for about 10 days. I'll miss all my board comrades. See everyone soon.

     
    Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
    BoneMan
    Member
    (male)
     
    BoneMan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: BC Canada
    Posts: 55
    BoneMan HB User
    Re: how do u get around forteo dangers?

    Have fun on holidays SpineWhine.
    And remember, Haagan Das Ice-Cream has lots of calcium in it, so make sure you have your desert.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Forteo 2nd Time Around taape Osteoporosis 6 04-19-2009 11:14 AM
    Forteo...injection site help ThinBones Osteoporosis 24 05-01-2008 12:00 PM
    Need advice...Taking Forteo and was told I had to much calcium in my blood kopper199727 Osteoporosis 1 03-24-2008 08:32 AM
    Fosamax before Forteo Aleta145 Osteoporosis 17 01-29-2008 05:01 PM
    Thoughts on Stopping Forteo and What to Expect osteoblast Osteoporosis 21 01-11-2008 07:59 PM
    I did it, my first forteo injection wildflowers Osteoporosis 24 07-17-2007 12:16 PM
    Help! Don't think I can Forteo anymore... Kathy1813 Osteoporosis 7 06-30-2007 04:21 PM
    Lasting affects of Forteo Nan-NMW Osteoporosis 21 03-06-2005 06:31 PM
    Anyone on daily Forteo injections?? Oldbones Osteoporosis 11 11-03-2004 05:03 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!